Sign in to follow this  

Rode in snow today, WOW

I rode in the snow today for the first time. There's about 10 inches of snow on my property. I couldn't believe how easy it was to ride in snow compared to sand.

I had no problems at all. I was going slow though.

I did drop the bike once, but that was because I tried to make it through a 2 foot drift and was going too slow.

I used to think one of the tires would slide out, so I never tried snow riding until today.

Is snow riding really this easy at higher speeds too?

Is it possible to ride on the trail in the snow safely?

Thanks.

I rode in snow once (hence SOCAL). It was great, traction too. I was with my boy so speeds were not ridiculous. I over dressed though, was really sweating (hence SOCAL).:applause:

With studded tires it's incredible how fast you can go. Trelleborgs are the way to go but even ice screws, heck sheet metal screws in the knobs makes a big difference. We rode until about mid January when the snow got too deep. Watch your airbox as I found that it would fill up with snow if it was light and fluffy.

after burning 8 tanks of fuel in my bike allready this winter.Best riding i have ever experienced! Well that was untill last saturday when i flew over the bars and dislocated my shoulder. Hope to be back on the snow next week. ill try and post some pics.

Then don't try any high speed riding!

I saw some pictures that you posted the other day with your honda, what type of tires are you running? I bought carbide studs for my bike, but never installed them. Right up to the second week of January it was warm, then the lake effect kicked in and then there was to much snow. So maybe next year.

Weird, I had my bike out in the snow yesterday (no studded tires) but there was only about 4 inchs of snow (maybe) and I couldnt get my bike t o hook up very well at all. As soon as i gave it a blip of gas it would shoot the rear end side ways.

yeah, i tried the snow out with my d756s and i was moving side-to-side faster than I was forward.

It all depends on what is under the snow. If it's fresh snow over dirt, cool. If it's snow over ice or packed snow with tire tracks hidden in it, beware, sit to the rear and assume a puckered stance if you don't have studs.

Dave

I saw some pictures that you posted the other day with your honda, what type of tires are you running? I bought carbide studs for my bike, but never installed them. Right up to the second week of January it was warm, then the lake effect kicked in and then there was to much snow. So maybe next year.

I'm using a set of Trelleborgs. Big $$$ but well worth it.

i got my bike back from the dealer today, i was gonna take it down the road but the pig wouldn't start, so i just started working on it(to sell)

I rode last week. All the snow was melting here so I thought it would be fun to take a little 85 out and mess around. Tried jumping some drifts but only got aobut 1 or 2 ft of air. Its pretty fun though crackin on it and the back end sliding side ways

Riding in snow is somwthing else, because it can change so much. I have rode in snow that stuck like mud and other times felt like I was riding in a giant ice-cube. You got to love the snow though:applause:

Last winter here at Oregon, we got about 8 inches out front. I was riding on some trails during this, and it is like it is not even there--I was just going through it pretty slow, about 5th 3/4 pinned on a crf250r. The most amaing ride I have in the snow, was when I was doing a hill climb when there was snow at the top; the snow was about 2 feet high, and was hanging off the hill while I was going up. I hit it, and blew through it in about 3rd gear---it was amazing because the snow just blew up! and went everywhere!! hahaha pretty cool though.

I also love riding in the snow. All the places around here are closed, but I love to just screw around in the yard. I think the riding definetly deprnds on the snow though. One day I was riding and got more traction than I though possible, but then just the other day, we had two or three more inches of the white stuff, and I couldn't get my bike to move from a standstill. Who knows.