Wanna know what the gasket in the FCR carb looks like?

Well, I have actually been working on this project for a while. I had a carb a while back that was basically given to me for parts. I decided to open it up and see what the gasket that is causing so much hype looked like.

Now mind you I called, Sudco, Carb Parts Warehouse and even a Keihin rep. You cannot buy these gaskets anywhere. They are installed from the factory and for good reason. I DO NOT recommend or suggest in any way that anyone even attempt my theory with this project in any way. This is just food for though and nothing else.

My theory is that if a person really needed one of these gaskets, you could be able to produce small quantities of them through the process of making a mold to cast the rubber with. I would suppose that these gaskets are made through the process of injection molding. SO manufacturing a home unit to duplicate the results of the injection mold dye would be tricky.

You would first have to make a mold out of some type of resin or rubber. From there you would need to cast a template mold (so you don't mess up the original). With the template mold you would need to cast some type of mold from clay or some type of hard, heat resistant material. Ceramic would work, but would require a longer process. After you have a mold made out of a heat resistant material, you would then need to find a gasoline resistant rubber that could be melted down for the casting process.

Now whether you could do an injection process or not, depends on your abilities and ingenuity. But I'm just saying that there might be someone who has done this or tried doing it (I don't know who though).

I know a guy that had an FCR that had the gasket shot on it before. It was fixed. It still works to my knowledge. I'm sure the person would have contacted the guy that fixed it if it did fail.

Just my 2 cents. Below is a pic of the gaskets from a Keihin FCR MX. The gasket from a slant body FCR is different than the one in the pic. My thumb is included to give you a size comparison.

carb 022.jpg

I would first make sure the sections are medically clean. I would appy it to one side, very, very carefully and as quickly as possible to prevent excessive 'skinning' of the RTV. Take your time before you start RTVing, be organized and prepared. Use only enough to do the job. You should see almost none 'ooze' out. Think about the voids/gaps you are trying to fill/seal and apply it to JUST do that.

Worse case is is fails, and you get to watch TV while you peel and carefully scrape the stuff out.

At the present, you have a 'Dead Body'. Resurrection can succeed.

Yeah, I'm not going to resell this carb. I am actually talking to a company that produces molds and gas tollerant rubber. If it can be done for cheap, I think I'd like to see if I could do it. For no other reason than to see if I can do it.

A lot of stuff I do is done simply to see if I can accomplish it. It's kind of funny how much stuff I have in the garage just sitting there. Like some Weed Eater racks I made. I could have bought them for about $200 but I made them for about $75. Never even used them, but I did make them. I just get bored. I guess having ADD doesn't help either! LOL!!!

I'm staying away from the RTV sealant. I want to see if I can duplicate the gaskets EXACTLY.

Neat little project for me. At least it'll keep me occupied for about a week.

Following are SUDCO P/N standard parts:

KE 021.055 Bowl gasket

KE 021.047 Fuel Valve "O" ring

Following are SUDCO P/N special parts:

KE 021.056 Jet block seal

KE 021.070 Jet block screw seals (2 pc)

KE 021.054 Smooth bore loop seal

In addition to what SUDCO supplied, I needed 2 additional seals that I bought from Air-Oil Products: 1mm by 15mm O ring, and 1mm by 4.5mm O ring. I could never understand why SUDCO could provide some but not all of the seals.

Even though I was able to get all new seals for the jetblock and reseal the perimeter, the repair was not completely successful. Take care to assure the carb parts fit perfectly before reassembly. In my case I think something was preventing full contact but I never got the chance to go back and try it again. Good luck.

You should never disassemble an FCR to this level unless it is already junk. Chance of successful repair are slim in my opinion.