Scotts Stablizer - XR650L.....doable?

I'm looking at putting a Scott's Stabilizer on my XR650L so interested in feedback on this post as well. I know guys have them on their L's.

Scott's does show a couple of kits for the L. Go to the photos link on their site and they show one with the stock upper triple and stock bars and another using an aftermarket triple with fat bars. On the fat bar set up, they actually used an XR600 triple and had to drill it for the speedo and key setup. Using the stock triple they had to space out the speedo slightly to clear the stabilizer and had to bow the crossbrace on the stock bars. Haven't seen any info on a sub mount.

I'd originally thought about getting an RSW triple for a fatbar since it's ready to accept the speedo and key, but I read a post out here that it sounds like there's some fitment issues using the RSW clamp with a Scotts Stabilizer and a bolt on tower. Anyone else have this combo that can provide input?

Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the stock triple clamp and getting a set of taller 7/8 bars, which should have plenty of room between the stabilizer and the crossbar. I'm 6'2" so can use the extra height. Preferably I'd like it if the bars were moved forward a bit too and thus was looking at the RSW clamp, but I might stick with the stock clamp to help the stabilizer install go a little smoother.

For bars I'm looking at Renthal's Desert/Vintage bend. I've used this bar on several vintage mx bikes and always liked it. It's really wide so would probably cut a bit off the ends for the L. Has anyone tried this bar on an XR650L with the stock triple clamps?

Thanks!

evomx971

i have one on my 06' 650L, used the one with the stock triple clamps and bars. went on pretty much no probs bending the crossbar was pretty much easy, i only bent it enough to get the stabilizer on there but not quite as much as they were saying to bend it. didnt have to space out the speedo at all, didnt even see a reason they would even say you had to. works real nice :applause: makes the highway cruising even easier than it already was.

I'm looking at putting a Scott's Stabilizer on my XR650L so interested in feedback on this post as well. I know guys have them on their L's.

Scott's does show a couple of kits for the L. Go to the photos link on their site and they show one with the stock upper triple and stock bars and another using an aftermarket triple with fat bars. On the fat bar set up, they actually used an XR600 triple and had to drill it for the speedo and key setup. Using the stock triple they had to space out the speedo slightly to clear the stabilizer and had to bow the crossbrace on the stock bars. Haven't seen any info on a sub mount.

I'd originally thought about getting an RSW triple for a fatbar since it's ready to accept the speedo and key, but I read a post out here that it sounds like there's some fitment issues using the RSW clamp with a Scotts Stabilizer and a bolt on tower. Anyone else have this combo that can provide input?

Right now I'm leaning towards sticking with the stock triple clamp and getting a set of taller 7/8 bars, which should have plenty of room between the stabilizer and the crossbar. I'm 6'2" so can use the extra height. Preferably I'd like it if the bars were moved forward a bit too and thus was looking at the RSW clamp, but I might stick with the stock clamp to help the stabilizer install go a little smoother.

For bars I'm looking at Renthal's Desert/Vintage bend. I've used this bar on several vintage mx bikes and always liked it. It's really wide so would probably cut a bit off the ends for the L. Has anyone tried this bar on an XR650L with the stock triple clamps?

Thanks!

evomx971

Thats the setup im using Renthal's Desert/Vintage bend the Scotts Stabilizer with the stock upper triple clamp every thing fits perfect.

I spoke with James at Scott's this morning. He said that the SUB mount works on the XR650L only if it is used with a modified XR600 triple clamp. I think the modifications would be for the key and speedo. This would also allow us taller riders to use something like the ROX risers. He quoted $600 for the triple clamp and stabilizer.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke with James at Scott's this morning. He said that the SUB mount works on the XR650L only if it is used with a modified XR600 triple clamp. I think the modifications would be for the key and speedo. This would also allow us taller riders to use something like the ROX risers. He quoted $600 for the triple clamp and stabilizer.

Paul

Kind of a hijack, but not. More of a clarifcation thing. XR600s and 650Ls are pretty much the same bike in a lot of ways. SO, when you say the modified 600 trip clamp, I assume you mean stock? What benefits does the trip clamp really provide? Do you REALLY need one, isn't stock adequate? And FINALLY, the Scotts stabilizer fits on STOCK triple clamps? Pardon the interruption, but, I had to ask. Tired of SEARCHING in here...thx in advance JL

Guys,

I bought a Scotts clamp / damper setup a while ago and tried to install it over the weekend. The Scotts people initially told me I only had to relocate the key switch, but I found that it is more work than that alone. The stock clamp has two threaded bosses on it that the entire instrument / headlight assembly mount to, and the Scotts clamp is missing these. They suggested that I just drill their clamp, but there are spacing issues. Additionally, there is not a lot of material, and I did not want to drill into the aluminum and possibly compromise the strength.

I asked the guys at Scotts if they would R+D a modification to the XR600 clamps, leaving some material to drill speedo bracket mounts, and the answer was a flat no. However, I called the RSW guy and he was very helpful and a bit more flexible.

The RSW clamps have these bosses but not a way to mount the damper. In any case I ordered one today, and am going to try to adapt the Scotts bar mounts to the RSW triple clamps. Spacing is the same, but I do not know if there are other issues.

The main reason I want the clamp is to move the bar position more forward to get more weight on the front wheel. At this point I question whether I should have just used the stock clamp, but if I can work all this out and get more weight on the front and more room in the riding are a in general, it will be worth it.

Someone posted that Applied has an app for the L, does anyone have any more info? Is it just a 600 clamp or does it have monting for the instruments and keyswitch?

BP

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys i just got a 650L and have a GPR so im wanting to do the same thing will any of you post some pics to get an idea what were dealing with to mount these stabilizers would appreciate Thanks Alot

I have a Scotts mounted to an RSW triple on my '94 650L. I only needed to machine an arc out of the lower front of the triple clamp. Centered on the stem hole, 8mm deep and 4mm thick at the thickest part in the center where the clamp-on post bolt for the Scott's is. I also took a bit off of the allen head capscrew that tighten's the post clamp. Plus I needed to get a pair of M10x1.5 allen head capscrews and nylock 17mm nuts to mount the fatbar clamps instead of the hardware provided, there was no room for hex heads and sockets on the bottom side of the RSW triple clamp.

oh yeah, and I needed to take a bit off the top of the igniton lock cylinder as well. no problems

Is that top bar clamp from Scotts? and is the pin in the way of the oil dipstick or do you just have to bolt it to head set a bit off center? Thats exaclty what i wanted to see TY now i know there is a way for me to mount my GPR just like that just have to get the bar mount and post

The scotts kit came with the damper, bar clamp, and the post. I had to trim the dipstick a little bit. I also had to grind a little off the ignition housing so it wouldn't rub in the front of the post mount. The seal under the top triple requires a little trimming too. The whole install took about an hour and a half. The instuction say you have to move the speedo, but I really didn't need to.

• 8 years later...

also any shimmy at speed on the road will be gone.

The '68 Honda CB450 (largest bike they made that year) had a steering damper. It was an adjustable, passive type with a friction disk, a very simple design. It's not even close to the modern dampers being discussed, but it worked as intended on a small street bike.

It could be tightened down so that wind gusts and uneven road surfaces wouldn't affect the steering as quickly. I had one.

It's adjusted via the black nob on top of the steering stem (not my bike, and not a '68).

16649d1342063320-james-1969-cb450-first-

hj0906w0027028.gif

ride in ruts without one, then ride the same patch with one. also any shimmy at speed on the road will be gone. i was skeptical too, but after having one i wouldnt want to ride without.

+1, It will really save your strength and increase your riding endurance as well because you can ride a lot more relaxed without such a harsh death grip on the bars the whole time, you can adjust it to your riding conditions to really make a difference,snow,mud,wind, helps with wind buffeting on the freeway, I find myself adjusting it up and down on every ride to really make a difference.