Sign in to follow this  

Enclosed trailer help

I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer, and it has interior lights but they onl work when the car is onand the cars lights are on. Im looking to get a light that I do not need the car for it to turn on and that does a good job giving off light thats pretty cheap. Does anyone have suggestions? Also, I'm trying to thing of way to secure my toolbox. Does anybody have any advice? Right now im using 2 bungee cords and fisheye hooks and have it strapped to the wall, But I want it mounted better, but I also want to be able to move it around at the track.

I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer, and it has interior lights but they onl work when the car is onand the cars lights are on. Im looking to get a light that I do not need the car for it to turn on and that does a good job giving off light thats pretty cheap. Does anyone have suggestions?

The light isn't your problem, how it's wired is-it is currently wired to feed off the marker lights on the trailer as a safety feature so that it doesn't kill your battery by being forgotten on. You can re-wire it to draw off a constant hot line on your wiring harness, or off your breakaway battery (if you have one)

Also, I'm trying to thing of way to secure my toolbox. Does anybody have any advice? Right now im using 2 bungee cords and fisheye hooks and have it strapped to the wall, But I want it mounted better, but I also want to be able to move it around at the track.

You could attach E-track to the walls, and use Logistics strapping to strap the box in place, then still be able to wheel it around when you get where you're going.

E track rails and straps- http://www.uscargocontrol.com/etrackstrapstiedowns-c-3.html?gclid=CKDxup6lvIoCFQu3SgodijDvRA

Don't get the pinch type straps, get the ratchet style-the pinch ones don't hold any farther than the end of the driveway, then your toolbox rolls freely about smashing everything it can on the way to the track.

So, are you saying to just screw in 2 eye hooks above the toolbox and 2 below it? and just use tiedowns? Or is there a different way. Also for the light, is it possible to buy like a car batter and run the lghts off that? I just want a cheap way to run with lights on at night without the car beng on.

Also for the light, is it possible to buy like a car batter and run the lghts off that? I just want a cheap way to run with lights on at night without the car beng on.

Thats all I use. I have a deep cycle battery in my trailer to power my lights. Its the same battery I use for my pop-up camper so it serves double duty. I dont even have it wired to charge off the truck when Im driving. Its just a total loss system. When it gets low I just hit it with the battery charger. But it rarely gets that low. A 12v camper light draws so little current that you can go a long time on a charge.

you can buy at most auto, camper or boat stores battery operated lights that just stick or screw onto your trailer. I use them for inside my canopy and also have them in variase spots on my camper where I normal need a flashlight. No wiring involved.

I have a 6x10 enclosed trailer, and it has interior lights but they onl work when the car is onand the cars lights are on. Im looking to get a light that I do not need the car for it to turn on and that does a good job giving off light thats pretty cheap. Does anyone have suggestions? Also, I'm trying to thing of way to secure my toolbox. Does anybody have any advice? Right now im using 2 bungee cords and fisheye hooks and have it strapped to the wall, But I want it mounted better, but I also want to be able to move it around at the track.

You need a battery for the trailer. It runs from your charge circuit and then when unhooked, it wil run off the battery. Usualy, these are mounted on tghe tounge, but some put them inside. As for securing cargo, look at "e-track"

The LED light you are looking at is a great option. They also last a long time. You could wire up a battery but that is a whole lot more work than mounting an LED light. I recommend using hook and loop (velcro) in a few spots in your trailer so that you can change the light location to where you need it.

Are you talking about a bottom tool chest with wheels or just a tool box you can carry?

I have tool box in my trailer and I use the track. I use a ratchet strap to keep it fastened to the wall

can anyone tell me how I would go about wiring lights to a battery? I was also looking and some guy had a great idea of running an alarm off it too. Also, I do not get exactly how that e track system works, do you screw it in the wall and tie down the toolbox to it?

Thanks

can anyone tell me how I would go about wiring lights to a battery? I was also looking and some guy had a great idea of running an alarm off it too. Also, I do not get exactly how that e track system works, do you screw it in the wall and tie down the toolbox to it?

Thanks

The E-track attaches to the walls, and you want to screw through the plywood liner, and into the wall studs, with self tapping screws. It gets its strength by spreading the force out-so the longer the section of E-track, the better it will resist pulling out of the walls.

As for the lights, use a fuse/distribution panel, that way you have one cable coming off the battery (fuse it here, too) going to the panel, then you can run all your stuff off the panel individually, and it's on individual fuses, too.

I got that part, but what do you use to secure the toolbox to the etrack?

These- http://www.uscargocontrol.com/etrackratchetstraps2x12-p-13.html?zenid=1933d5ebcf9a2725bd4e5ba98e5c212f -you can buy them at any commercial trailer dealer, and at many truckstops. Just stay away from the cam type, and get the ratchets-cams technically have 0 lbs rated capacity since they aren't a positive hold like a ratchet. Ratchets are only a few dollars more.

Just run the strap around the box, and the clips on the snap into the slots in the e-track on the wall, and ratchet away!