When should a tire be replaced?

It all depends on where you ride. In the SouthWest you can get away with using them much longer. I rode with guys in Arizona who wore them all the way down. I have also ridden in Wyoming and the soil consisted of decomposed granite. Even the mud holes had killer traction. Now ya move to places like Ohio and the MidWest that have clay based "soil" and I use that term lightly. We don't go on a moist ride without sharp new soft compound tires. I guess it comes down to when your bike handles crappy it's time for new tires.

If you're climbing hills or pushing your limits on tight woods trails, change it when the knobs are chewed up and rounded. Be sure to flip the tire if it is non directional. You can also cut your tires with a razer blade "on any sunday" style! Just re-face the knobs so they have a sharp edge.

I've developed a really accurate way to tell if my tire's worn-out: I ask my wife if I can afford a new one! If she says no, then it's not really worn out. If I think it's worn-out I can get around the "wife rule" by taking her out to dinner and a movie, then buying a new tire. If I need two tires, I simply do the dinner and movie thing, then tell her how thin she looks. You don't even want to know what I have to do for a new bike...