Cycra Pro Bend Guards for Dummies

I know... I know... yet another thread on bark busters....

...but here's the deal... it's been a while since I've been in the dirt bike scene... and man do things change (and I'm pretty darn young). With that said, here's my dilema...

I'm not very... or at all... mechanically inclined. I can hold my own and fluff through some basic repairs, but this mounting business is twisting my brain in knots.

I ordered Flatland rad guards, Cycra Pro Bend guards, an Uptite skid plate and some other stuff to go along with my 07 TE510 (some basic mods to get me going).

Now I thought I had this right in regards to the Cycra Pro Bend guards, do I need the "triple clamp" side mount? I could have sworn I read that this was indeed the option I needed, so today, my packages arrived, and I tore into the box like a kid at Christmas, installed the rad guards with no hitch, and then got to the darn hand guards. What the crap??? If this is the right mount, does somebody have pictures of how this mounts??? If I ordered the wrong mount, which one should I have gotten. I'm learning, but am a fast learner, but this has me in the slow lane of stupidity. Please help...

... and yes, I did do a search, I'm thinking I maybe looked at a post from 2005 regarding the triple clamp mounts... any help would be greatly appreciated. If you just want to send me a PM so this repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a thread dies that would be fine. I hate to post something like this, but I cannot find any definitive answers on my searches. Thanks all for understanding and for bearing with me, and thanks in advance for any help...

Take care,

Chris

Well... I am super new to these bikes. I have an SMR510 that I will be racing this year, and this is the first dirt bike style bike I have ever had. I'm in way over my head, but thankfully there is a lot of stuff here.

I know that the side mount triple mounts are what should be ordered for my SMR, as I have seen them mounted on an SMR. However, I also know that the triples are different between the TE's and the SMR's. Including the mounting holes for the number plate. That said, I would assume that the side mount cycras only work with the SMR's.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have them on my '06 TE250, stock bars, using the side triple clamp mounts. One thing I had to do was put the inside end of the guard behind the mount, rather than in front of it (I think they show it in front in the directions). You'll need longer fork pinch clamp bolts too.

My bars are in the up and back position (I assume the '07s have the adjustable bar mounts too?).

These things always take a little playing around to get them to fit right.

I'm getting ready to chuck the stock bars and go with a BRP sub mount, Scott's damper, and Pro Tapers. I think I'll probably have to use the bar mounts for fat bars to get the Cycra guards mounted.

I know... I know... yet another thread on bark busters....

...but here's the deal... it's been a while since I've been in the dirt bike scene... and man do things change (and I'm pretty darn young). With that said, here's my dilema...

I'm not very... or at all... mechanically inclined. I can hold my own and fluff through some basic repairs, but this mounting business is twisting my brain in knots.

I ordered Flatland rad guards, Cycra Pro Bend guards, an Uptite skid plate and some other stuff to go along with my 07 TE510 (some basic mods to get me going).

Now I thought I had this right in regards to the Cycra Pro Bend guards, do I need the "triple clamp" side mount? I could have sworn I read that this was indeed the option I needed, so today, my packages arrived, and I tore into the box like a kid at Christmas, installed the rad guards with no hitch, and then got to the darn hand guards. What the crap??? If this is the right mount, does somebody have pictures of how this mounts??? If I ordered the wrong mount, which one should I have gotten. I'm learning, but am a fast learner, but this has me in the slow lane of stupidity. Please help...

... and yes, I did do a search, I'm thinking I maybe looked at a post from 2005 regarding the triple clamp mounts... any help would be greatly appreciated. If you just want to send me a PM so this repeat of a repeat of a repeat of a thread dies that would be fine. I hate to post something like this, but I cannot find any definitive answers on my searches. Thanks all for understanding and for bearing with me, and thanks in advance for any help...

Take care,

Chris

The triple clamp mounts do not work with the 07 TE. To use those mounts you need to have a double bolt upper clamp not the single bolt that the TE has. Go with the U-Clamp mounts they work great.

The triple clamp mounts do not work with the 07 TE. To use those mounts you need to have a double bolt upper clamp not the single bolt that the TE has. Go with the U-Clamp mounts they work great.

Sorry for the bad info above, my '06 TE has 2-bolt clamps.

Well thank you all... looks like I screwed up, too bad I opened it in such a hurry. I noticed it went awry when I was missing one of the bolt clamps... hhmmmm, can someone say idiot? Oh well, it happens... anyone need some never used triple clamp mounts???

When I was doing research, I read that the triple clamp side mounts were what I needed, too bad I didn't bother to look at the date and see it was for an 05 TE. I did see the thread mentioned previously, that's what made me wonder...

I ordered them from the TT store also... crap... guess I better fork out some more money for the U-clamp mount, and some more whiskey...

Thanks again everyone... we can kill this thread now...

Chris

Well thank you all... looks like I screwed up, too bad I opened it in such a hurry. I noticed it went awry when I was missing one of the bolt clamps... hhmmmm, can someone say idiot? Oh well, it happens... anyone need some never used triple clamp mounts???

When I was doing research, I read that the triple clamp side mounts were what I needed, too bad I didn't bother to look at the date and see it was for an 05 TE. I did see the thread mentioned previously, that's what made me wonder...

I ordered them from the TT store also... crap... guess I better fork out some more money for the U-clamp mount, and some more whiskey...

Thanks again everyone... we can kill this thread now...

Chris

hah i got a set of the Moose Deflectors and i got the pro taper ones the 1st time. i was like "a 'Pro T deflector' sounds awesome". lol :applause:

so did you figure it out? i know mine are different but im using the regular handlebar clamp simlar to the ones that coffee posted in a pic of the handguards :applause:

hah i got a set of the Moose Deflectors and i got the pro taper ones the 1st time. i was like "a 'Pro T deflector' sounds awesome". lol?

so did you figure it out? i know mine are different but im using the regular handlebar clamp simlar to the ones that coffee posted in a pic of the handguards :applause:

Yeah, I called the TT Store and explained my mistake and the kid told me they didn't sell the brackets seperately, so I found them at another couple places online, including direct from Cycra. I found the Cycra part number and decided to do a catalog search on the TT Store webpage and turns out they carried them, and for about $10 cheaper. Like I said before, nice $50 mistake... :applause:

Chris

Yeah, I called the TT Store and explained my mistake and the kid told me they didn't sell the brackets seperately, so I found them at another couple places online, including direct from Cycra. I found the Cycra part number and decided to do a catalog search on the TT Store webpage and turns out they carried them, and for about $10 cheaper. Like I said before, nice $50 mistake... :applause:

Chris

Dude... check your PM's.

I switched from Cycra to an MSR straight bark buster with deflector shields which are the same as EE. I found the Cycra bend to stick out to far thus creating a larger turning circumference making it harder to fit between the trees. I ride the tight stuff a lot and found the straight bark busters are easier to maneuver and are more impact resistant. I found the Cycra tended to move on high impacts where the straight bars don't. The straight bar is better for mowing trees. The MSR ones come with the mounts for small or fat bars http://www.MSRMX.com and are pretty cheap. I also run a Renthal CR High Bend Bar cut down to 29", 30" including the width of the bark busters. The bark busters and bars are black which gives the setup a nice touch.