Sign in to follow this  

16 Tooth Opinion

Sort of. I assume you mean the case saver guard. It needs to have the inside diameter increased about 1/10" to clear the chain. Grind a little, test fit, grind a little... After install, take a short ride, be cognizant of the chain, look for a line in the center of the roller, if you see it, you need to grind a little more. So, yes, the stock guard does fit.

I just put one on a couple of weeks ago. I have an S but I think everything is the same as the SM around the CS area.

I just took the chain guard to my grinder and took a little off - way less than 1/4 of the width - no rubbing.

I then tapped it on with out trimming the plastic swing arm/chain guide.

I got the 16 CS from "drivenracing". It is supposed to have shorter teeth and make for less grinding and trimming.

CS cover fits fine.

I tapped mine on too and it worked perfect, no cutting required. Until I wanted to change to my dirt setup (13-44) and I could'nt get it off. I had to take the Dremel to the chain guide to get it off.

I used a single edge razor blade to trim the shoulder of the swing arm chain guide to install my Driven Racing sprocket. The center cleared fine, but had to get past the shoulder.

The case saver was tough. I tried using a dremel but it was taking forever. A friend used a hand held grinder with an abrasive wheel to trim it down where I had marked it.

I used a single edge razor blade to trim the shoulder of the swing arm chain guide to install my Driven Racing sprocket. The center cleared fine, but had to get past the shoulder.

The case saver was tough. I tried using a dremel but it was taking forever. A friend used a hand held grinder with an abrasive whell to trim it down where I had marked it.

+1 with the Driven cs. I used a grinding stone (kind of like a larger version from a Dremel kit) with a 0.25" chuck 90 degree grinder for compressor and worked great!! Anyhow, whatever method you use for grinding the steel case saver pay attention to the good info previously given on the line on the rollers. The 16t is what the bike should of came with, friggin great, even if you only do a few stretches a day. Anyone know if a 3x3 & jet will bring back the torque and make it feel like a 15 again?

3X3, FCR.... the difference is 6.67%. You need to boost power by about that much. A stock SM makes about 33 Hp. To recoup the power loss, you need about 35.2 Hp to break even. The FCR does this. Not sure about a jet kit on the BSR.

Just put a Driven 16 tooth on my SM yesterday. Has to slightly grind my case and trim back the chain guide with a dremel and it is fine. Should come from the factory with this sprocket!!

just a quick question guys while we're on the subject...can I use the same chain with the 16 tooth?

Yep. I just had to move my adjusters in to slide the axle up more because the larger sprocket takes up the slack you already have and you have to re-adjust your chain.

yes the same chain will be fine, you have not increased the sprocket size anywhere near enough to need a longer chain....