Sign in to follow this  

Is an old 125 mx a good begginer bike for my GF?

I am sorry to bother you ladies with a question that may be very repetitive in this forum... but you are my only source of counseling:

My GF is 5`6 and weights 120 pounds :S

She has never riden a bike before in her life, but she is interested in trying specially trail riding. At the same time she is scared of it since she is not adventurous and she doesnt have any riding skills.

She knows a couple of friends of mine who tried the sport and quit because they couldnt handle the bike`s power, or had ugly crashes so those stories plus the crashes i have had and that she has witnessed has her thinking it twice.

She is 34years old, so she aint a kid anymore, and this is her first enrolment in a "extreme" sport. Besides that she is very skiny and in her own words: kind of weak. Another problem we have is that there aint that many bikes out here for her to try one.

I am afraid of lending her my kx250 to learn on because i am afraid she will crash hard she doesnt have any throtle or clutch control.

I was thinking about getting her a used, beated up and cheap 125 2 stroke mxer to learn on. That would mean the suspension will be kind of softer than on a new one, the power wouldnt be as snappy as on a new one but it would be a light, short in height and easy to start ride that will be enough to learn the basics and trail ride.

A 250 F is just too expensive as a 1st ride besides being too tall and heavy for her. And i hate how expensive they are to mantain. Besides after hearing me complain about the old wr 250 i had she doenst want one.

A crf 150 230 are very long lasting but very heavy and underpowered. They are also very expensive since i cant find any of those used here in mexico.

I didnt notice how much I have written already, I apologize for that.

So anyways does it seem like a good idea getting her a 125?

Also would you care to share ideas on how to encourage her into spending time and money on this and how to handle the crashes and falls she will undoubtly experience in her learning process?

Thanks girls.

I started at age 34 on a 1981 RM125 - is that old enough??? The thing was like a light switch, absolutely no low end and you had to keep in wound up really tight to stay in the power band. I did fine on open trails, but had a hard time on the more steep and tight trails in terms of staying in the power band and not losing steam. I flipped this bike over several times going up steep hills when I was learning throttle control. I'm just over 5'4" and weigh 125.

The new, powervalved 125s are going to be better than that 81 was.

That said, it *might* work and it might not. IF she can stick to it and learn to master it, then she will learn a lot about riding really fast. But if she gets frustrated--because it will be a steeper learning curve--then you may end up getting rid of it and replacing it with something mellower.

If you are against the smaller 4-strokes--and there are some good arguments on both sides of THAT discussion--get a KDX 200 and lower it. It will still be heavy if she considers herself weak, but she'll develop the strength and technique to pick it up. At 5'6" you probably won't need to do a LOT of lowering like the kouba link--setting sag, moving forks up and shaving seat will probably be enough.

The KDX has awesome power but is mellow enough to learn on, fires up easily as long as the jetting is right on, and as she grows you can mod the bike to fit her skill level.

At the same time she is scared of it since she is not adventurous

there's your trouble. if she is as you have described her, i think a 125 mx-er would be an unmitigated disaster. for the timid and non-adventurous (and weak) a little toy bike like a ttr125l or possibly a kx100 would be a better choice.

my ex really liked learning to ride on the ttr, and although she was pretty athletic, she was not real 'adventurous', so i had to tailor the experience to make it fun for her. even tho at 5'8" she was a bit big for the bike, it gave her alot more confidence to ride something small and light, so riding was fun, so she wanted to do it.

by contrast, the current gf is quite adventurous and motivated, and would have probably been best off starting on a 125 mx-er.

• Like 1

there's your trouble. if she is as you have described her, i think a 125 mx-er would be an unmitigated disaster.

by contrast, the current gf is quite adventurous and motivated, and would have probably been best off starting on a 125 mx-er.

Yet another page from the 'Book of Velo', chapter 6: Women and Motorcycles

Well put.

Someone I know of the female persuasion (a Thumpette here on TT) learned on an ATK 605. She is petite and was very nerveous. It is not the bike but rather the teacher.

I have a 1992 YZ 125 that I would not hesitate to put a beginer on with proper supervision.

Be patient and I am sure she will do fine and grow into the bike rather than outgrowing it.

Just my .02.

I have to agree with velo...A kx100 is a neat little bike. She would do much better on that than a 125 mxr....

If a TTR125 is too small for her, the 230 is pretty nice. A little bit bigger but exact same power delivery....nice bikes for timid beginners...but the TTR125 will be far less intimidating. I am 5'6" and comfortable on the TTR125...

• Like 1