Sign in to follow this  

The XR to EXC Conversion

So I think I'm finally going to do it.

What do you all think?

If I purchase an 07 525EXC are there several California smog parts to pull off before I feel the grunt of the bike. I'm going from a 650R here. I just can't take it anymore though. I need something lighter, more fun, and most of all.....STREET LEGAL. I want it to scream however. Out of the box will I be happy? How much more will any "upgrades" run me to get me back to the grunt of my BRP? I know it'll NEVER be the same, but SHEESH.....100 pounds lighter with a CALIFORNIA PLATE will make up for it!

Also.......anyone have any plate issues with this bike? I've read some other forums, but they look like hogwash to me.

My buddy just broke his 450EXC in and took it to Travis for a valve adjust and jetting fix. Travis was kind enough to unplug the bike for him and on his first ride my buddy said it was like a different bike. He thought it had pretty good power before, but after Travis tuned it my buddy felt the bike was unbelievable. More power everywhere.

You will not miss your XR650 after riding the KTM.

My buddy had no problems getting his plated. None.

I also just switched from the XR to a 06 525EXC and there is no better feeling then the response of the throttle on that 525. I dont do the road thing but just playing around in the snow has made me comfortable with going Orange!

Good luck

Hay you will love the ktm i went from a XR 650r to the 525exc and it was the next best thing to bread. First thing you will love is that e start no kicking and if you fall just hit the button and go no kicking for a half hour to get the pig to start and another thing the bike weighs a lot less.The handling is a ton better not like the xr it will go the direction you point it not like a ten speed bicycle in the sand all over place. :applause:

My 07 525EXC eats up my buddies XR650 in every condition, and he has it overbored with a high-comp piston and HotCams. You won't believe the improvement. Longer travel, lower seat height, lighter, FASTER, Much lower center of gravity, way better handling. And I have yet to do the 540cc kit or HC piston in mine.

You will need to do only a few things to un-cork the bike.

1. Cut out exhaust restrictor welded into endcap of muffler can. Ten minutes including one beer.

The rest are done to the carb:

2. Remove throttle stop screw and replace with short plug (under black throttle cable cover on carb)

3. Do the "O-ring" mod (KTMtalk.com Jetting forum "AC Pump Setup" thread is pinned to top.)

4. Put in a Honda AC pump diaphragm (see same thread for #3).

5. Re-Jet, Re-Jet, Re-Jet. The JD kits make it easy if you are not comfortable figuring it out on your own. But just a hint, the pretty blue color of your exhaust pipe is a sign that the factory jetting is way lean. Otherwise an EMN needle and bumping up the pilot jet are an easy starting point. Your main jet will depend on altitude.

Removing the smog crap won't make you faster, just easier to work on the bike, and you will avoid stalls related to the catch-can and charcoal canister getting flooded. Maybe 1.5 pounds of junk all-together.

You absolutely have to set the sag right for these bikes. IGNORE THE MANUAL Use the "Golden Rule" (KTMtalk suspension forum). Static sag of bike should be 40-50mm without rider. Race sag with rider and gear should be 115-120mm. (Do not use the standard Jap Bike settings of 35/100mm they do not work on the linkless rear end KTM uses. If you do you will probably have problems with headshake.)

Best regards,

Bill

I have both and I love the new 525 I bought. The e-start!!! great! I still have the XR, and it is very well set-up. 85% of the situations I ride in, I like the 525 better. But the 15% that I think the XR is better, it blows any other bike away. It is no suprise really. When the XR is ridden in fast open areas with deep sand, etc, it is so much more stable and pulls so much harder. But thats what it was designed for.

But where I used to ride the XR in the tight stuff as well, now I just can't wait to get off the thing.

Usually, when one buys a new dirt bike, it is to replace the old one and you don't get to compare them side by side and you just adapt to using your one new bike in all conditions. I opened a whole new can of worms by keeping them both. It really allows you to see how different bikes are. Now I want to get a 250 or 300 2smoker and I think I will be set for everything.

I switched from a 650r to a 525xc and I've never looked back.

Not sure about the exc but the xc has very comparable power, maybe not the intial hit and grunt of the xr but I haven't run into a situation where I felt I needed more power. You won't be dissapointed. It's sooooo much lighter and handles soooo much better.

You guys that have switched or had both... Did you have a damper on your 650? I never really felt the need for it on the 650, but think I would really like on the 525. Maybe it is the clamp offset? I am running the 20s and it it feels a little twitchy at speed. I have to hold on a lot tighter. Also, the front end seems to wash easily unless I really exagerate sliding up on the tank in tight corners. I have sag set to golden rule, but maybe I need to crank up preload a smidge more.

I'm just the opposite. I had one on my 650, mostly for sandwashes. I never liked my 650 in the sand too heavy and felt like the front tire wanted to wash out on every turn. I never did play with the suspension much though.

My 525 handles ALOT better I don't think I'll get a stabalizer for it. I handles 100% better than the 650 in sand.

You guys that have switched or had both... Did you have a damper on your 650? I never really felt the need for it on the 650, but think I would really like on the 525. Maybe it is the clamp offset? I am running the 20s and it it feels a little twitchy at speed. I have to hold on a lot tighter. Also, the front end seems to wash easily unless I really exagerate sliding up on the tank in tight corners. I have sag set to golden rule, but maybe I need to crank up preload a smidge more.

Switch your clamps to 18mm. For me 18 is better everywhere. Correct springs help a lot, too. I also shortened my shock a bit to get rid of the bad manners under hard braking, steep downhills and fast corner entries on a moto track. I can run without a stabilizer just fine now, even in the dez.

Do the 525s have the adjustable triple clamps? If not, get springs first. The improvement from correct springs is huge if you are bigger than about 150-160.

Thanks oldnslow,

Yeah, I am 225 6'2" so I put springs in first thing. It's been a few months since i made the decision, but I think I chose .48s with a little less preload than stock, and a 9.8 in the rear set to the golden rule.

I think I will have to try the 18 clamp. Can't switch, as mine is the cast version (06 XC). Its only money I guess.

My 650 is also set-up for my weight. Power wise, it has a Stage II cam, 11:1 , full exhaust, etc, so it does have alot more than the 525 with JD jetting.

How do the XR650R and the 525 compare in vibration?

My wife says the 650r is a way better vibrator:crazy: but really I just got a 525 and took it out over the weekend with my friend who rides a 650 and we swithed for a while. The 650 is all bottom end and is great on the open roads but even mild technical or medium paced riding it feels slow. But wide open it is hard too beat the stability with that much girth. Go with the 525 :applause:

I never got sore wrists on my 650 or an other bike for that matter. I currently have rubber bar mounts on my 650r (crf clamps) and never noticed any vibration with them or before them.

My 525, solid mount bars, feels the same or less as far as vibration goes, but after a long day of riding, my wrists (mostly my right) are just killing me. This last for about 5 days before I can even ride again. I can't figure it out... Everybody just tells me to "nut up" and ride it... but hate to risk damaging a body part so crutial to riding.

I don't notice much in the way of vibration on either bike, but if you are wieghing or options on which to purchase, there a much greater differences to concentrate on before choosing.

This is the first time someone actually questioned it...

Thumper is thumper to start from, but everything that makes vibration less noticeable comes with KTM-suspension and stuff (I have both- '01 XR650R and '07 KTM525 EXC).

Speaking smooth: I rode demo KTM 950 Enduro- not the heavy pack rat Adventure. Awesome ride!- I am only intimidated by the fact that if I crash that 950, I won't be able to pick it up (girls' thing...)

But in medium cc- try Aprilia 450 or 550 twins dirt version! Smooth as it gets.