Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 sm Running in from New?

Hi Drzed'ers

Whats the view on the best running in for the DRZ 400SM? I hopefully pick a new one up next week.

Thanks in advance

Rich

Many people have tried the method above and swear by it. My advice is to do what you think is best. There have been many threads on this... too many.

My question is what is the best oil? and when if ever do you switch to synthetic ? LOL....

Assumming you mean the mototune method, yes, I employ it nearly every modern engine, esp. when the cylinder is a hardcoat like NikaSil. Clearences are such in modern engines that no breaking in (wearing to fit) has to be done, This was done gently to keep temps down in case parts were close fitting. The downside to this is it did not promote good ring sealing. Now, we only have to be concerned with the rings and the MotoTune method takes care of that.

Assumming you mean the mototune method, yes, I employ it nearly every modern engine, esp. when the cylinder is a hardcoat like NikaSil. Clearences are such in modern engines that no breaking in (wearing to fit) has to be done, This was done gently to keep temps down in case parts were close fitting. The downside to this is it did not promote good ring sealing. Now, we only have to be concerned with the rings and the MotoTune method takes care of that.

william - appreciate your input (assuming no more meds in your system :applause:) i'm waiting for my BB, stroker & rhc so i'm considering do that when i get it.

did you use that method with your drz as well? if so, how many miles did u ride the bike under "Hard Break in"?

My question is what is the best oil? and when if ever do you switch to synthetic ? LOL....

I think either will be fine as long as you use the stuff that has lots of trans fats in it. :applause:

LOL... no, no meds for me for the last two days.

Yes, I did. Ran the bike immediately under load (flat road, full throttle, mid range on the rpms, probably accel from 4,000 to 7,000 rpm) in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. On throttle for a bit, then off to make a vacum in the engine and suck up some oil into the ring lands. Repeated this for the first 20 miles or so. Have not taken the engine apart so I cannot confirm the success but I am sure I did good, you will too.

I think either will be fine as long as you use the stuff that has lots of trans fats in it. :applause:

its odd...when ever oil is mentioned regalman shows up :applause:

within the first 30 miles, i'd done 94mph (indicated) and wheelied through a town centre.

I didnt take it easy buy any means, but i didnt rag it sensless either.

Mines done 5k in 7 months and runs perfectly!:applause:

Broke mine in hard with regular oil, switched to synthetic on 1st oil change @ 500 miles. I have 10K on my bike, no problems. In perspective, my wifes bike was bought used with 2000 miles on and was treated "gently" by the dealer who rode it. (I've ridden with him, he babied it). My bike, when it was in stock form would walk away from my wifes quiet easily on full throttle. The break-in may be the reason here. She couldnt figure out why mine was faster, supposed to be the same bike right!?!? LOL

i'd get it up to temp, then rape it... it's worked on every new bike i've every owned.

i'd get it up to temp, then rape it...

I realize its just a matter of symantics... but I usually cringe when people talk about break in and use terms like "rape it" and "ride it like you stole it" etc...

I think even the most liberal people in regards to break in are going to be at least a little sensible with the throttle. I just can't imagine it being very smart to bounce a brand new off the rev limiter after you get it up to temp... or hold it wide open on the highway for an hour.

[these are things I think of when using terms such as rape and stolen]

I realize its just a matter of symantics... but I usually cringe when people talk about break in and use terms like "rape it" and "ride it like you stole it" etc...

I think even the most liberal people in regards to break in are going to be at least a little sensible with the throttle. I just can't imagine it being very smart to bounce a brand new off the rev limiter after you get it up to temp... or hold it wide open on the highway for an hour.

[these are things I think of when using terms such as rape and stolen]

i can understand that.. basically, i ride my bikes from day one, the same as on day 365, day 730, day 1095, and day 1460. not necessarily bouncing it off the rev limiter but i like a very hard break in.... as far as riding it is concerned. :-) enjoy your new toy.

I did my apprenticeship at a major German car manufacturers, back when cars were entirely built in house (no sub con).

Every 3rd car of the line used to go on the rollers to ensure all was good. This meant revving the brand new motor to the limit in every gear from cold.

Then you buy that car and nurse maid it for the first 1000 miles.

Make up your own mind!