Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400E seat height.

Hey there,

I am somewhat vertically challanged, well only 5'9" and with short legs and accordingly I have trouble touching the ground easily.

I have been told that simply removing the seat cover and then using a 4" angle grinder to shave off excess seat foam will allow my short ass to be lower to the ground and then replaceing the seat cover will let it be a nice fit.

Has anyone done this?

Cheers from Oz.

Steve

i've done exactly that. and it actually looks decent. or, at least it doesn't look horrible. i've seen pics of a few where they look like hell. a small slip up will do damage real fast.

by the way, i'm 5'8", & i removed 2" from the seat i use for off road.

I have, it works a treat, have a look at my seat now.

klx400r.jpg

I would get a seat upholsterer to recover it $20, it will look a lot better.

Thanks guys,

I reckon that the seat option is definately the go as I really would rather topple off and look like a goose than reduce travel if I can help it. As they say, if I could only have another inch......:applause: on my legs.

The electric knife idea is a good one as it would be more controllable and consistant.

Cheers

Steve

how does the padding feel when sitting on the smaller seat, I am not normally sitting in it but some times its nice on the road, and I am 5'9 as well

I cut some padding out of my seat, about 1 1/2". It didn't affect the comfort of the seat much, it's not the most comfortable thing going anyway. The difference that I really feel is the effort to stand from that lower hole I'm now in. It isn't a big thing on a short ride, but after 3 or 4 hours of constant up and down, my knees really feel it. But I'm old, and my knees have been cut too, so that has everything to do with it.

Another thing you'll notice is that the bars are now higher when you're seated. I like the cut seat and wouldn't go back, it's the best way to get your feet closer to solid ground. All the other mods have worse effects on how the bike rides.

I cut some padding out of my seat, about 1 1/2". It didn't affect the comfort of the seat much, it's not the most comfortable thing going anyway. The difference that I really feel is the effort to stand from that lower hole I'm now in. It isn't a big thing on a short ride, but after 3 or 4 hours of constant up and down, my knees really feel it. But I'm old, and my knees have been cut too, so that has everything to do with it.

Another thing you'll notice is that the bars are now higher when you're seated. I like the cut seat and wouldn't go back, it's the best way to get your feet closer to solid ground. All the other mods have worse effects on how the bike rides.

+1 :applause:

• Like 1

I cut mine down too. Used a electric knife, and then a orbital sander and smoothed out the seat. I also used my wife's cloths steamer and heated up the seat cover to re-cover. It turned out pretty good. It did not change the comfort, its still like sitting on a 2x4.

There are pics in my garage.