Sign in to follow this  

Any Saudi DRZedders out there?

Hi

Hopefully getting mine next week. Brit Expat out here in Riyadh. Any other expat Saudi DRZ owners (or any SM/MX bike owners) on the forum? So far got me and Jarkko, the mad Finn on a Honda Dominator

Looking forward to a few trips into the sands:

DSC00080PB.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

red.jpg

cool pictures, thanks for sharing. they almost look surreal. There must be some great riding opportunities out there. I hope you are able to post more pictures of your adventures.

So is it expensive to reside in another country for awhile? A lot of legal hassle? I read on wikipedia that expatriates in Saudi Arabia live in segregated compounds. True? Sounds really neat.

oh, did you walk all the way up from that car to take the last picture? I wonder what the fence is for? Some kind of livestock? Looks strange out there on the rolling sand dunes.

cool pictures, thanks for sharing. they almost look surreal. There must be some great riding opportunities out there. I hope you are able to post more pictures of your adventures.

So is it expensive to reside in another country for awhile? A lot of legal hassle? I read on wikipedia that expatriates in Saudi Arabia live in segregated compounds. True? Sounds really neat.

oh, did you walk all the way up from that car to take the last picture? I wonder what the fence is for? Some kind of livestock? Looks strange out there on the rolling sand dunes.

Yep, it's some country. Great experience, amazing landscape, like the surface of Mars in some places. And big.. like 1/4 the size of the States I think.

Summer temperature gets above 50C shade. 125F. Unreal.. tough country, tough people but with a great sense of humour (some of them anyway!)

The Rub al Khal (the empty quarter) is the size of France and one of the most hostile deserts on earth. Endless stretches of dunes up to 800 ft high. Amazing night skies..

Not too expensive here, tax free, most expats live on housing compounds or you can rent a private apartment or villa. Not easy to get in, you basically need a job and a sponsor. Opening up a bit now but tourism will take a while to get established here I think.

Life can be tough and it needs the right mindset to hack it here. No alchohol allowed, no cinemas, no clubs, bars etc. Men and women kept pretty much apart if not married. You have to respect their ways, it is their country and culture after all. I'd do the same in the States if visiting.

Yep, walked up those dunes. Its a killer, like climbing a never ending rubber stair. The sand is drifting across a limestone ridge and has slowly buried what used to be some edge fencing that was there to keep sheep and goats from wandering off. They have long gone I think.

I'll post some pics when I get the bike out there. As a taster, this is the Wahba Crater.. 2 miles across, 800 ft deep, big brother to Meteor Crater

319877130_4db9ccd6f3_b.jpg

No alchohol allowed, no cinemas, no clubs, bars etc. Men and women kept pretty much apart if not married. You have to respect their ways, it is their country and culture after all. I'd do the same in the States if visiting.

That's good, because its the exact opposite here and we'd expect you to respect that :applause:

I was in Riyadh a few years back (2003), but not on a motorcycle. In an Army HMMWV... We were at a place called Eskan Village (actually outside of Riyhadh). I liked it there, but they seemed a bit skiddish around the American soldiers, so we usually kept to ourselves. I can understand that though.

I'd LOVE to have had a bike out there. Really was a beautiful place, if you like desert.

Look forward to seeing more from Saudi Arabia. That crater picture is awesome, I'm saving them all.

lol Jim

Good luck getting the bike there and stay safe irich.