Sign in to follow this  

2003 yz250f clutch help!

Hopefully you guys can give me a hand and excuse my wrong terminology. I have 2003 yz250f that i just purchased. First few rides have been great. Had to replace the fork seals, had a valve adjustment done, serviced it, and went out to ride Durham Town. Got an hour or so into the ride and the clutch cable broke. Got it started and rode it back to the trailer in 2nd gear, slowly. Got a new cable and installed it, and now I have no clutch. (Is what it seems). The cable is engaging and pulling the clutch pin that goes into the case but not letting the rear wheel spin with clutch lever pulled in and in gear. Thought I needed to adjust the "throw" at the pin to make it pull forward more and still no luck. I noticed after I removed the cable from the pin that the shift pin does not get resistance on it until half way through the travel going forward. Should it start engaging the clutch from the back going forward? The spring seems loose on the pin also. Trying to figure this out I noticed the pin actually moves up and down out of the case about a half to 3/4 of an inch to where the groove in the shaft shows. Is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Do I have bigger issues. Any help and or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

occasionally, members have this problem where the drive and driven plates stick together, especially if the bike sat for a length of time.

change the oil with something different than you've been using, start it, get it going in 3rd or 4th, pull the clutch in and brake, all the while giving it as much gas as you can w/o dying. Your trying to get the plates to break loose from one another. If this is unsuccessful after a few tries, take the clutch cover off and use a screwdriver to break the plates loose while the clutch is in the disengaged position.