Sign in to follow this  

set-ups for racing

i had a few questions on how you guys have been setting your bikes up.

-have you guys got along well with the 4speed and did you change the gearing at all?

-does the Boysen Qshot make a big difference on the RM-z (i know it works well on the pre 07 hondas)?

-what are the best bang for the buck mods? i hear alot of ppl on here say Yoshi exhaust.

any other good setups i might be missing. as soon as the weather breaks, i'm gonna start messin around with my new (06) RM-Z and try to get it dialed in. thanks.

I have an 05 and 06 RMZ 450 and race them offroad in the WOODS and think they both work great. I race my bike in AA and expert classes so I'm not sure how well you will like my set up but here's a list.

PWR radiators w/ silicone hose kit, RG3 triple clamp, Factory conenction revalved suspension, Works Connection Skid plate and rad Guards, Clarke 3.1gallon tank, Scotts steering dampner, Cycra Probends, Carbon rear disc guard, works connection perch, aluminum throttle tube, NGK irigium spark plug, boyesen quick shot, FMF powerbomb with the new Q4 ti and I run gearing in the back at 48, 49, and 50 depending on the track. Hope this helps. Out of all the mods though I would get your suspension done first and then bolt on the FMF Q4. You don't need the header as much but running the muffler smooths the power out a little, gives it some more over rev and also keeps it under 96db.

i'd be dialing it in more for MX. so does the silencer do more than the header as far as exhaust? ive heard yoshi and stock were the best and i cant even seem to find any consistency as far as what works best with these bikes, so i was looking for some direction. as far as gearing, i dont have the cash to run 3 different sizes, so i was wondering if the stock works best or if its geared up or down (ive never owned a 4spd). im sure i can figure alot of this stuff out once i spend some time on the bike, but just lokin to see what other ppl have found out since all the mags i read give totally mixed opinions.

What are you going to be racing? GNCC, MX, Enduro?

Never mind, took too long to load. I do Offroad so I'm no help.

i'd be dialing it in more for MX. so does the silencer do more than the header as far as exhaust? ive heard yoshi and stock were the best and i cant even seem to find any consistency as far as what works best with these bikes, so i was looking for some direction. as far as gearing, i dont have the cash to run 3 different sizes, so i was wondering if the stock works best or if its geared up or down (ive never owned a 4spd). im sure i can figure alot of this stuff out once i spend some time on the bike, but just lokin to see what other ppl have found out since all the mags i read give totally mixed opinions.

I put a Yosh RS-2 slip-on on my '07 and it did two things, added a spark arrestor and took the bark out of the pipe. It is suppose to be 96db which i belive it is. It did lose a little off the top end with the insert in the muffler but seems better off the bottom now exactly where I needed it the most. I am happy with it over all fit and finish were good. i went with a aluminum can since the woods will beat most anything up. It weighed teh same as the stock pipe. No jetting problems. The pipe was a bit pricey but I bought it locally for $355, I could have gotten it online about $25 cheaper.

As for the gearing I bought a cheap steel 48T for the rear I think it was less than $20 bucks and I seem to like it except if the woods get really tight.

For MX I recommend a Ti4 or a T4 pro circuit slip on (the front header is titanium stock and is easily good enough to keep rather than paying big bucks for bugger all. I run a 50T rear and it seems to be a perfect combo with the pipe.

The 4 speed is awesome, bang it in third and thats about it......

Ditch the 120 rear, and run a 110. I like the michelin ms3s but tyres are a personal preferance. RG3 clamps are great for reducing pump and bars twisting if you have a biff.

Personal but forks 3mm below the line in the clamps and around 105mm sag give or take

Yosh Slip on (awesome), 50T rear sprocket (a must) I can leave it in third almost the whole track, Ready Racing stainless oil filter, D 756 Rear tire 110 90 19. I got the SDG Step Seat but it's too high for me so I'm trading it out for a stock seat since I trashed the old stocker because I tried to shave it down myself (don't try):applause: . I'm 5'6" and the only problem I have with my bike is trying to start it if I stall in a corner or something because I'm so short and my legs are stumps :applause:

all the mags raved about the stock tires, why the 110? ill go with the 50T on the rear then, seems like the best choice. i def want to get a stainless filter and i guess when i get some cash saved up, i'll go with the yoshi. what about the quickshot? good or bad on the RMZ?

I have an 05 and 06 RMZ 450 and race them offroad in the WOODS and think they both work great. I race my bike in AA and expert classes so I'm not sure how well you will like my set up but here's a list.

PWR radiators w/ silicone hose kit, RG3 triple clamp, Factory conenction revalved suspension, Works Connection Skid plate and rad Guards, Clarke 3.1gallon tank, Scotts steering dampner, Cycra Probends, Carbon rear disc guard, works connection perch, aluminum throttle tube, NGK irigium spark plug, boyesen quick shot, FMF powerbomb with the new Q4 ti and I run gearing in the back at 48, 49, and 50 depending on the track. Hope this helps. Out of all the mods though I would get your suspension done first and then bolt on the FMF Q4. You don't need the header as much but running the muffler smooths the power out a little, gives it some more over rev and also keeps it under 96db.

I want to start racing my 06 in some WORCS races, now I do only MX with some occsional trail riding. Right now I have a 50 tooth on the rear. When riding in the tighter trails I'm in 1st gear alot. Do you think a 13 tooth countershaft would be the ticket? This is my first fourstroke so perhaps I could be in 2nd more, I'm just afraid of stalling and having to start the beast.