Subframe Dimensions

Why is the CRF's subframe so weak? I wish there was a way to reinforce it.

Anyway, could someone measure their subframe for me. I am haveing trouble bending it back into shape because I don't know where the bend is. The two measurements I need are below.

Measurement 1: from tip to tip of the bottom arms (as measured from the OUTERMOST points). IN GREEN.

Measurement 2: from the top arm to the bottom arm (as measured from the OUTERMOST points). I assume this is the same on both the left and right side. IN RED.

Here is a pic to help show where I need the measurements:

Untitled-2.jpg

I'll hit your gas can if you can help me out! Thanks.

good luck getting it straight! mine bent on the lower right side. it was all curved. i just got it till my plastics matched up fairly well and then called it good. if you want it perfect you will probably have to just buy a new one. i think there are aftermarket subframes that may be stronger and cheaper than the stock ones?

but anyway, for the measurements you are asking for you should be able to just measure your MAIN frame. those are all the mounting points, so they should be the same distance as the ones on the main frame, otherwise it isnt going to mount to your frame anyway.

good luck getting it straight! mine bent on the lower right side. it was all curved. i just got it till my plastics matched up fairly well and then called it good. if you want it perfect you will probably have to just buy a new one. i think there are aftermarket subframes that may be stronger and cheaper than the stock ones?

but anyway, for the measurements you are asking for you should be able to just measure your MAIN frame. those are all the mounting points, so they should be the same distance as the ones on the main frame, otherwise it isnt going to mount to your frame anyway.

Thanks, I thought about measuring my main frame but I'm not sure if I can get the accurate measurements I need. My frame is sitting at a friend of a friends house. He has a press and is going to press it back to spec.

GREEN 9 5/8"

RED 12 3/8" (measured from outside the rounded hole)

Mine is tweaked in by the muffler and the tire rubbed- is that lower one bended on yours?

It's hard to tell what's bent. My tire really smashed up my pipe because it was bent. It's almost like it's bent at the welds. Thanks for the measurements.

Is there supposed to be a bend on the right side downtube for the muffler. I can't remember. The Michelin I ran at the end of the season looks like a damn 450 tire and it rubbed the muffler badly- but then again it could have been the highside I took last time I rode.:applause:

i dont think there is supposed to be a bend there, not a big one at least. thats where mine was/is bent and also out at the back where the seat mount bolt is. my tire was rubbing on my pipe too. i was able to bend the rear part out some, but i broke the weld by the cross brace in the process. got that tig'd back together and the frame works fine. plastics still dont quite meet up right on that side though. oh well.. no biggie. better than buying a $250 frame or whatever it is.

i dont think there is supposed to be a bend there, not a big one at least. thats where mine was/is bent and also out at the back where the seat mount bolt is. my tire was rubbing on my pipe too. i was able to bend the rear part out some, but i broke the weld by the cross brace in the process. got that tig'd back together and the frame works fine. plastics still dont quite meet up right on that side though. oh well.. no biggie. better than buying a $250 frame or whatever it is.

Mine also has a bend there. Not sure if it's supposed to be there but I am in the process of getting it removed :applause:

I am not going to get it back to perfect but enough that my tire won't rub anymore. I just took my pipe apart and used exhaust puddy to fill in the holes. It worked well and the pipe looks good again but I don't want to have to do that all again.

New pipe and new subframe are both too expensive for me!

I don't think those dimensions will help you much since it's probably bent in from the side, not down or up.

You can also put a washer or two behind the mount to space the muffler out if you can't get it straight. I straightened my 450 subframe out with a 6ft 2x4 wedged in between the subframe.