Sign in to follow this  

Questions About Rev Limter

I thinking of installing a BBR rev limter on my CRF 50. And was wondering if its safe or I'm just gonna blow the thing up? :applause:

ive heard from several reliable sources that the stock cdi doesnt have a rev limiter. both of my bikes have rev boxes and i couldnt tell a difference on either one. i dont think i have ever hit a rev limit on any 50.

I heard something about them increasing your spark strenght and all this other ho ha but didn't really know if it would make a difference.

i have actually left the plug out and kicked the bike over to visually look at the spark, sure looks the same to me. but obviously its not a very accurate test.

no real rpm limit on the stock cdi, but after 10k the timing curve falls back.

cdi doesnt give a stronger spark, thats the coils job.

all cdis do is advance and extend the timing curve for a little more power for a little longer. on a stock motor you have other factors that are limiting your power and revs, cdi is actually not the highest limiting factor.

cam, compression, valves, valve springs, ports, carb, exaust.

the bikes motor is deigned to run forever, start maximizing things are reliability drops from say 20years of riding to 2. for an engine builder that is perfectly acceptable.