Bend area single track?

It sounds like there are many miles of forest roads and BLM roads to ride around Bend but are there and decent single track trail systems? I'm looking for something much more challenging than fire roads - something technical with lots of elevation changes and some decent length.

I'll also need my MX fix but hopefully Prineville Adventure park will appease that.

Thanks,

Matt

A lot of places are either closed or under snow right now. Your best bet now is the Millican Plateau. You can stage at 4 Corners which is 1/4 mile east of the George Millican hwy and Reservoir road - about 20 minutes out of either Bend or Prineville. Lots of single, double, whooped up track. Not super technical but you can increase the difficulty with more speed. A little more wide open like Baja. In the nicer months there are many OHV areas open not to mention unending BLM lands. East Fort Rock is south of the Millican Plateau and just south of Hwy 20 east of Bend. More technical and more elevation changes and more woodsy feeling than Millican.

Greg

are there and decent single track trail systems?

Not in Bend...at least that's the official word (some of the local bros know some secret trails).

I'm looking for something much more challenging than fire roads - something technical with lots of elevation changes and some decent length.

Bend is considered high desert. The designated riding areas reflect the general topography on the high desert: flat.

Not in Bend...at least that's the official word (some of the local bros know some secret trails).

Bend is considered high desert. The designated riding areas reflect the general topography on the high desert: flat.

East Fort Rock can offer some fun and challenging trails. As far as real singletrack is concerned, if I told ya, I'd have to kill you. Regardless, the good stuff does not become ride-able until March/April.

I take it you're not in MN anymore?

Dan

Actually, I am still in MN but that would change if I could find a decent job and house near Bend or Prineville.

My brother lives out there and I spent a solid week riding my mountain bike out there last summer at Phil's trail head. Love the place but need to ride my motorcycle!

We are in the process of establishing designated single track in the Ochoco's out of Prineville. This area is full of single track that the locals have ridden for years. The FS is working with us on this and the new OHV area will have single track that will fit your needs. Stay tuned for more as this effort is underway.

BTW, an informal group called the Ochoco trail riders is working hard on this to establish this system while we have the opportunity to do so. It has excellent technical sections and a lot of elevation change. You will not be dissapointed.

There's no singletrack here. As a matter of fact the only good riding here is quadruple track cinder road. Occasionally there will be a good sized stutter bump from all the vehicle traffic that you can get some decent air off of.

The Bend area is to be avoided.

That goes double for quad riders.

Unless they're female and have beer.

:applause:

Actually, I am still in MN but that would change if I could find a decent job and house near Bend or Prineville.

Insert laugh track here. Hey buddy, you and the rest of the west coast want to move to Bend...don't expect any bargans as far as a house is concerned...and the Job market isn't much better. They call it "Poverty with a view" for a reason. But the Mtn biking and Moto riding are great!! Good luck!

There's no singletrack here. As a matter of fact the only good riding here is quadruple track cinder road. Occasionally there will be a good sized stutter bump from all the vehicle traffic that you can get some decent air off of.

The Bend area is to be avoided.

That goes double for quad riders.

Unless they're female and have beer.

:applause:

+1 on the chicks and beer thing! :applause:

Plenty of single track @ Cline Butte outside of Redmond. Quite a bit on the outskirts of Sisters & Bend, Tumalo also. There's a 20+ mile section of single track @ 4-corners...ohhh don't forget La Pine. It's abundant. It's not all a secret. Indian Ford has some great single track if you can find it, along with Cold Springs. Lots & lots between BlackButte Ranch & Sisters. Have fun. :applause:

Plenty of single track @ Cline Butte outside of Redmond. Quite a bit on the outskirts of Sisters & Bend, Tumalo also. There's a 20+ mile section of single track @ 4-corners...ohhh don't forget La Pine. It's abundant. It's not all a secret. Indian Ford has some great single track if you can find it, along with Cold Springs. Lots & lots between BlackButte Ranch & Sisters. Have fun. :applause:

Cool! Thanks a lot! Next time I'm out I'll make sure to bring my motorcycle and mountain bike.

• 3 months later...

Ok R's Raiders, my friends and I spent the better part of the day today up in the Ochoco's by the Green Mountain trail. We rode all over the place and did not see any of the single track you are talking about. So where is it? We rode all the way to bear creek down by trails 833 & 835(I think). PM me if you don't want to reply on this public forum I would really appreciate some directions to the single track you speak of.

Yep, Phils trail for dirtbikes went the way of the dinosuar years ago. I used to ride it too when I first moved here. Actually we used to ride right out of the westside alleys off Galveston and jump on FS roads that would take you to Phils trail. Phils trail up to the end of Skyliner, jump on FS roads thru the Tumalo Burn area past 3creeks lake, get spit out on Century Dr by Todd lake, buzz down thru the parking lot at Bachelor to the power line road which took you all the way to Inn at the 7th Mountain, then across Century to more FS road back to home, stopping to play in a pit that's now a circle on Mt Washington Dr. But i guess this thread isn't about the good ole days...between what's going on in the Ochoco's and some other (secret?) singletrack around Bend that'll become a designated OHV area soon (or become closed) there's still some great riding here.

Yup. We got lost in between Century and Skyliner one time and ended up riding in a 'Renaturalization Area', so we backtracked sheepishly before we did any more damage. Now that area is being bulldozed for a new golf course. Dude, you wouldn't recognize this town anymore and that's not a complaint just an observation. I have trouble remembering where Division St used to be before the Parkway.

some other (secret?) singletrack around Bend that'll become a designated OHV area soon.

If it does, you can bet it wont stay singletrack for long.

I'm very interested in whats going on with the Ochoco's. There is some nice country in there. I've got a friend that works for the USFS. I'll see if he knows anything more on it.

Yup. We got lost in between Century and Skyliner one time and ended up riding in a 'Renaturalization Area', so we backtracked sheepishly before we did any more damage. Now that area is being bulldozed for a new golf course. Dude, you wouldn't recognize this town anymore and that's not a complaint just an observation. I have trouble remembering where Division St used to be before the Parkway.

Funny. I had never even been to Bend before 2002. It looks way different now than even then! Its different every time I go there.