Sign in to follow this  

Which petcock on a new tank?

I just bought a Clarke tank for my XR400....

What petcocks are you all using with your aftermarket tanks?

Do you just use the OEM petcock? Do you replace the o-ring when mounting it to the new tank?

Thanks

What great timing! My XR400 Clarke tank is shipping today, can't wait to install it.:applause:

Also want to hear about the answers to your o-ring and petcock questions.

I was just going to remove the mounting, petcock and cap from my stock tank and use them on the new Clarke. But, replacing the o-ring may be a good idea.

FYI

I just found the o-ring part number from Ron Ayers website

16997-467-000

Now I just need to find a Honda dealer with the O-ring in stock....

The description is O-Ring (11.8X3.55) - can I just get a replacement from a hardware store? What do these measurements refer to? Outter diameter and thickness?

Do you just use the OEM petcock? Do you replace the o-ring when mounting it to the new tank?

Thanks

I would think you'll probably be ok with your existing O-ring and petcock. Use a little silicone on it maybe?

When I installed my ALoop last month that part was as easy and straightforward as it gets. Really, if the O-Ring is not trashed, you can re-use it.

I re-used my o-ring when I put on the IMS tank. I since went back to stock tank and still re-used the same o-ring and no leaks.

You can spray some silicon spray on the o-ring to keep it from drying out.

Rubber doors seals and hose in MN get a little beat up from the huge temp changes and salt. In the last 2 weeks we had about a 60 degree temp change from -20 to 40 above. We also can get to 100 in the summer so wipping all the rubber down keeps it from drying out.

Whenever I replace items that use an o-ring and it's still in good shape I spray them down with silicon spray. I rarely have to replace any rubber items when you do this. Works for all hoses too.

Thanks

I have a 3.8 gallon Clarke tank on my XR400 with the stock petcock. The stock petcock mounted right up, and the old o-ring holds fine.

With the stock petcock and feed, I still go on reserve at about 70 - 80 miles, just as I did with the stock tank. However, my reserve is now about 1.8 gallons, or another 70 - 75 miles.

The o-ring on my 1986 XR200 started leaking like crazy.

A quick trip to ACE hardware for an o-ring and it was fine. :applause:

Make sure you replace the o-rings at least once every 20 years. :applause:

It was smashed flat like a washer.

Make sure you replace the o-rings at least once every 20 years. :applause: It was smashed flat like a washer.

hrmmm. sound advice!:applause::lol:

Make sure you replace the o-rings at least once every 20 years. :applause:

It was smashed flat like a washer.

I'll have to keep that in mind when I turn 50. :applause:

N6VMO....

I got my Clarke tank last night, and installed it with the original stock parts - including the original O-Ring - seems to be fine, no leaks.

I'm heading to Anza Borrego next week for 5 days - should make some good use of the Clarke tank in the desert :applause:

I got my Clarke tank on Friday.

Installed my stock petcock w/o-ring, mounts and cap. No leaks and it fit perfect. I will post pictures ASAP.:applause: