Sign in to follow this  

Help me set up My wife's TTR125L

I bought my wife an 02 TTR 125L a couple weeks ago. She is about 5-5, 5-6 She should weigh about 130-135lb when she gets back in shape (don't tell her I said that). The fronk forks are a joke, so I found a YZ85 set on Ebay and went for it. Now I'm concerned about the rear sitting too low. Here's what I've gathered from searching:

BBR Swingarm: I know it is 1 inch longer than the small wheel 125, but I have the 125L, so I don't know if it will make any real difference.

Lower the upper shock mount by drilling: I'm just not a big fan of cutting into a perfectly good frame.

TTR-225 shock: It is a longer shock. But is it too long, causing the chain to pinch or the rear to ride too high? I contacted works about a 225 shock set up to her weight. I'm awaiting their response.

YZ-85 rear end: Complicated and it will take some time to find all of the parts. Disc brakes aren't nescessary. Adding it up, it would probably be less expensive than BBR swinger.

Cheap route: get some 40MM risers and suck the forks way up. Crank up preload in rear shock. Then the front wheel could hit the fender and the rear would be a little stiff.

I need to get lower footpegs, too. She looks a little cramped below the waist. Where can I find these and how do they work? I looked at the Fastways, but I'm not sure I'm looking at the right ones.

By lowering 2 inches, do you mean raising the forks in the triple clamp, or cutting them down?

I think I'm still a little confused on the exact factory differences between the 125 and 125L. I'd rather not cut the forks. It seems like a waste of travel if you're thinking ahead. If raising them 2 inches would level the 125L perfectly, then I'm set. Then get a good rear shock down the road to equal out the suspension performance.

I ordered Fastway footpegs, 50mm bar risers, and BBR chain guide today. I am planning to use the stock bars from my CR250 and cut them back to her liking. They have less pullback. The bars that are on the TTR feel like bars from a bmx bike. But we'll see what she likes. I'm going with a different bend on my CR, so those bars will just be laying around.

I also have a '85 KX 80 sitting in the garage. The swingarm is 2 inches longer than the TTR:thinking: The shock feels softer, though.

Thanks for the input so far, Smart Yamaha127. I've read all of your threads and PMs. Now I feel like I'm getting schooled by a guy 1/2 my age, and my degree is in Mechanical Engineering. Degrees are great, but nothing beats the hands-on work you've done with your bike. Keep it up.

I meant either raisning them up in the clamps that much, or actually cutting them down. Then you won't have to worry about having soo much of your forks sticking out of the top. If you want balance, cutting will be the best way to go. You don't want 10 inches of travel in the front, and only 7 in the rear do you???

He means raising the tubes up in the clamps.

You have all the right ideas - balance the bike out, better suspension, etc. and I noticed that "loud pipe" and engine modifications were not on your list yet. Shows much wisdom - I am a bit older than you and an ex-engineer (EE).

Why not just get a bike that fits her better?

Because this bike does fit her with the powerband and ease of shifting. It would be fine if I left it alone. But, I read the stickys and the fork swap seemed like a good idea. I figure the more comfortable she is on the bike, the more effectively she will learn how to ride.

Hopefully I can get the front end together next week and see how she likes it. I'll know from there whether to upgrade the rear, or cut the forks.

She is pretty tall for the 125L so I think that doing the fork swap and heavier fork springs along with the long swinger would be a wise choice. My wife is 5'0" and this bike fits her well, yours will need a little more height out of the bike. Also, BBR makes a tall seat that will help with legroom on the bike.

My girlfriend is 5'7" and the TTR125 with YZ80 forks and the BBR swingarm is not tall enough.

I'm hoping the BBR tall seat foam cures that.

What is this about cutting this forks?????? You DON't cut the forks. You simply have a supension shop make a spacer the exact length you want to shorten them and that's how you make your forks shorter. Then they can get creative with the valving to compensate but they should know what they are doing. Or simply raise them in the clamps about 2" or so. Plus yz85 forks are way soft, so you might want to get springs and valve them anyway. As for the rear, in stock for the rear shock is valved all wrong for the the linkage. Have a shop revalve that too. It's time for a fluid change anyways. My rear doesn't bottom.

As for bar raisers, they are a cheap alternative to a top clamp even though they are adjustable, but you can only go so high before all your cables are maxed out. I bought stackable ones, just for this reason.

And yeah, the ttr225 rear will only work with some fabbing. But it's not rebuildable and it has no resevior.

I know you don't actually cut them, just have them lowered. And yes, a suspention shop will do it. The Tusk adjustable riser kit allows you to raise your bars with a variety of different heights. I love mine.

I know you don't actually cut them, just have them lowered. And yes, a suspention shop will do it. The Tusk adjustable riser kit allows you to raise your bars with a variety of different heights. I love mine.

Whew! :applause:

You could also make a longer clevis on the rear stock shock. 3/4" would probably do it, plus it would give the rear a little more travel. If you go that route make sure you take it to someone that knows what there doing, because you do not want that thing snapping off in the middle of a ride.

Okay guys... I'm chiming in here since I'm in the same boat. I've looked at my TTR and have figured out I'm still 1 1/4 inches tall with the 2003 KX forks up front, moved up to their max with a full set of Tusk risers. BBR swinger is out of the question, although I have a couple leads. As for drilling the frame, that seems okay, but that's real thin material. The actual hole has some beefy rings welded for support, and I don't see that being easy to do to the frame if relocated.

So... this clevis thing has me interested. I bought a TTR 225 shock (which is way too long) and an extra linkage off PooBay. Oldskool, PLEASE tell us more about this clevis deal. I've looked into lengthening some of the linkage (thanks Smartt Yamaha for the pics) bit need more info. Drawings or pictures go a LONG way...

UPDATE: I see you are talking about extending the stock shock... anyone mod the linkage? PROPS to rion who sent me a detailed drawing regarding lengthening the stocker shock.

It's pretty funny... BBR seems to be the only one providing a longer swinger. They ARE trick, but not gold (even though they think they are) At this point I'd even go steel, although it's heavy. Seems someone could make some dough...

How long is the TTR 225 shock? I've looked around for one, but they are hard to find. Works doesn't make anyhting for it(not readily availiable). They still haven't responded to my e-mail. From the dealer the 225 shock is quite expensive.

I think a YZ80 shock is 2 inches longer than the 125L, and you can find them everywhere. I might try one with a longer linkage like Smartt Yamaha did. That might balance the suspension better than adding length to the stock shock. But probably not as well as a full yz rear conversion.

You guys should try listing your shocks in the classifieds. I've searched "TTR 225 shock" a few times and haven't found anything.

How are your 225 shocks sprung caompared to the stock 125 shock? Stiffer? How much does the preload adjustment change the stiffness of the 225 shock?

So, if I go this route, I would most likely need to make a slightly longer lower link to avoid chain pinching. The number Smartt Yamaha threw out was .5 cm. Is that it? I might need slightly less since my swingarm is a little longer.

Feel free to PM a price for the 225 shocks.

The reason I don't list it is I hate tire kickers. Especially when they are buying something at 1/10 price. I would rather have sit on a shelf. I can't tell you the number of times people have said they'll buy it, then I never hear from them again. Eventually I'll put everything on ebay.

I have had that happen to me soo many times. And when I already box up $400 worth of stuff, and never hear from them agian it makes me mad. Expecially when someone else was interested at the time, and bought something else while I said I was selling it to someone else.

Just here to let you know I bought Smarrt Yamaha's 225 shock.

What forks springs should I be looking at? My wife is 135lb.