what year is my ktm 500?

i was told its a 1985 but ive been looking for parts and i found some for an 86 and they dont look like the original parts.how can i find out the year and model?i looked on the steering stem but it dosnt have a sticker that says the year and model.incase anyone can tell the year and model by looking at the bike heres some pics.

ktm5003.jpg

ktm5001.jpg

ktm5004.jpg

definately not an '85,as they still had drum rear brakes.It's either an '86 or '87 enduro model.As far as parts,your best bet is the online auction site everybody loves.Just did some digging,it's an '86.I am concerned that it might be a 350 though...the pipe doesn't look like a full old school(pre '87) pipe.Check out this link,it gives some info to ID your bike and motor size via number http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/identify.htm

well the engine number is 6-544*-----*...according to what i read from the link u provided the 6 indicates that the bike is a 1986 and the 544 should indicate the size...but not like 544 would be 544 cc its some different system...it says what 562 and all the 560s are but not 544...do any of you know what size 544 is?

well the engine number is 6-544*-----*...according to what i read from the link u provided the 6 indicates that the bike is a 1986 and the 544 should indicate the size...but not like 544 would be 544 cc its some different system...it says what 562 and all the 560s are but not 544...do any of you know what size 544 is?

Sure don't, but it is at least an '86. My bro had a 1986 500cc KTM MX'er. Looked just like your bike but don't think it had wiring for lights.

ok thanks for the help.now i know its an 86 now i just gotta find out if it really is a 500.hey i found a guy that has a 1983 ktm 495 and hes selling parts.would the stator coil(i think its called) and seat from this bike fit mines?also this guy wants $100 for the seat...i think thats way too much,what do you all think how much should it cost?

there was a stator on Ebay for that bike just a couple of days ago,I don't know if the '83 will work.The price for the seat might be high,but with these bikes,parts are scarce and thend to command a premium.With bikes like these,Ebay is your friend.