tire changing videos (for dummies)?

it's that time of year again, changing out tires ...... and always a pain in the butt, and it's more luck than skill that gets the new rubber on the rims. I've searched for instructions and videos but nothing really hits the mark. They all show how easy it is to do it as a pro, but when it comes down to the details that cause problems, well, there's no help there. I don't want a video showing the tire falling onto the rim for the pro, but a normal guy going thru it slowly, pointing out the problems and getting around them. do I have to make my own video series? I already got the dummy tire changer (me), now I just got to get the pro trouble shooter instructor to show how to fix my mistakes!

btw, I'm trying to put on a rear dunlop 773

and the rim locks are killing me .......

what I've found so far:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1215721,00.html

http://hobbies.expertvillage.com/videos/tire-change-motocross-1.htm

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390735

that tire in the transworld videos surely isn't what I'm dealing with! time to heat up my tire, then try again! dang my fingers hurt .........

I had to put mine in the car with the heat on high for about 30 minutes. It wouldn't fit in my oven. You can also put it in front of a fire or blower heat. I have a heat pump so it doesn't get warm enough.

I usually end up with black and blue shins and bloody knuckles before I'm done. What part are you haveing the most trouble with...getting it on or off?

Yeah, that pro guy does it about 4 times faster than i do it, but the techniques he gives are great.

I changed out a Maxxis 6006? tire for my first time ever changing a tire and it was so hard to do that i just took it in to get changed.

Do you mean a C6001? I just put on a 6001. It is one stiff-ass tire. There was no possible way of doing it with tire irons. I banged up my rims trying to get it on. Took it to the shop and watched as the guy used a tire machine and one hand to put it on...while bullshitting with a co-worker the whole time.

Then I got to watch him do it again because it was a directional tire and he put it on in the wrong direction :applause: Oh well, it was worth the $20. I dread the day I have to get it off!

that transworld video also had only one rim lock .... what's up with that? I got two, and that was my major pain. I got it on, finally. The trick was to put the tire on AT one of the rimlocks and have the tire in position with the rimlock. lots of soapy water in a spray bottle, lots of bad words, lots of oumph, lots of desire to have it done, then it finally slipped on that last bit. I knew I wasn't done yet though, till i filled the tube with air and check for the dreaded pinched tube but got lucky ........now for the front, that should go smoother ....... but I'm out of steam ....... I don't even want to think about doing this out in the middle of nowhere ..... I'm getting tireballs next!

You only need two rimlocks if you run your tire pressure extremely low (5-7 lbs). I believe woods riders use it when navigating extremely muddy trails. I only use one rim lock and run 10-11 lbs in mud, rocks and hardpack. Never broke a bead. I hear fronts are easier. I took mine off and it was easy. Now, if my free Pirelli would come in I could try my hand at putting one on.

I can't wait to ride with a new set of rubbers. This will be my first time!

got the front 773 on without a problem, unlike last night. It wouldn't seat properly around the rimlock so I took it out and got it to seat, but knowing I'd have to take it all apart again and do it properly with the rimlock installed. today's attempt at the front went almost as smooth as I could expect. I guess I learned something while dealing with that rear! ...... make sure the tire and rimlock are together first, the second one will come last ..... at least that's how it went with me ....... I'll have another chance to try this all out again soon enough as I go and put on my new trackmaster's after the Sidewinder Enduro this weekend. maybe I should video this next time and have it on my website so more normal joe's can compare what I do to what the pros do? ..... and maybe be helpful in some way? picking out what not to do I'm guessing! thanks all ...... now time for the slime, it's good stuff ......