Sign in to follow this  

Work issues....LOL

Is there anyone, other than me, on here that absolutely can't stand the place they work?? It seems to be some type of new drama every day when I come to work. But I'm working on changing that soon....

How about everone else?

• Like 1

I love my job.

FINALLY

but I have had a ton of shitty ones. Advice: They rarely get better. just like a relationship. if it sucks REALLY bad, move on NOW. I've only once regretted leaving a job: They fired the guy who was treating me like crap, and the boyfriend I moved across the state for turned out to be a jerk.

I'm pretty happy with my job too. Come to think of it, in another couple months, I'll have worked for my boss for 7 years. :applause:

I'm pretty happy with my job too. Come to think of it, in another couple months, I'll have worked for my boss for 7 years. :applause:

WOW!!! Way to go on that one!!

I love my job.

FINALLY

but I have had a ton of shitty ones. Advice: They rarely get better. just like a relationship. if it sucks REALLY bad, move on NOW. I've only once regretted leaving a job: They fired the guy who was treating me like crap, and the boyfriend I moved across the state for turned out to be a jerk.

Been there done that....but I was quitting anyway....they were in a bunch of lawsuits and I didn't wanna be stuck in the middle of it....and about 2 months after I left they started shutting down some of their 6 KY car lots, and now that it is 1 year later they're all shut down...I did GOOD!!! Yay for me!

Life is way the heck too short to spend EIGHT or more hours a day at a place you hate.

So you have two choices: Quit and find something better; or keep the job and refuse to participate with the drama.

I personally HATE drama. Hate it!!! Y'all want to be stupid, go for it, but leave me out.

Last job I had with that much drama, I had my own office so I was able to avoid it as much as possible. Funny, the boss' son used to hide out in my office from time to time because it was the only peaceful place in the shop.:applause:

• Like 1

Life is way the heck too short to spend EIGHT or more hours a day at a place you hate.

So you have two choices: Quit and find something better; or keep the job and refuse to participate with the drama.

I personally HATE drama. Hate it!!! Y'all want to be stupid, go for it, but leave me out.

Last job I had with that much drama, I had my own office so I was able to avoid it as much as possible. Funny, the boss' son used to hide out in my office from time to time because it was the only peaceful place in the shop.:applause:

I can't just up an quit....can't afford to...but I am looking into other jobs....hopefully one will hire me SOON!!!

I feel you 100% and agree with you as well....back in the summer when stuff started gettin bad one of the mechanics would come and eat in my office so he could get away from the Drama...he's the oldest one working here (and only 33). But most of the drama comes from over grown kids that never had to grow up...please tell me I'm not the only one that has (or has had) to deal with this!!

I get my drama from the internet. LOL!

My new office is great, but at previous jobs I started wearing headphones even if they weren't on just so people would leave me alone. It worked pretty well. At my last newspaper job, I simply adopted an extremely scowly, bitchy attitude, and that worked too. The entire office with like 2 exceptions was staffed with a group of incompetent morons. The receptionist couldn't even pronounce the name of the company correctly, and used "ain't got" and "not none" and all kinds of other intelligent sounding phrases on the phone with customers. They wouldn't fire her because they felt sorry for her mental health issues.

I can't just up an quit....can't afford to...but I am looking into other jobs....hopefully one will hire me SOON!!!

I feel you 100% and agree with you as well....back in the summer when stuff started gettin bad one of the mechanics would come and eat in my office so he could get away from the Drama...he's the oldest one working here (and only 33). But most of the drama comes from over grown kids that never had to grow up...please tell me I'm not the only one that has (or has had) to deal with this!!

You gotta hit the job search HARD. It's very easy to be complacent when you're already employed. Spend your lunch hour at the copy shop producing your resumes and/or making followup calls on jobs you've applied for. The followup is what has gotten me nearly every job I've held.

You gotta hit the job search HARD. It's very easy to be complacent when you're already employed. Spend your lunch hour at the copy shop producing your resumes and/or making followup calls on jobs you've applied for. The followup is what has gotten me nearly every job I've held.

That is the best advice my Business teachers in HS ever taught me....well aside from how to act, sit and talk in an interview...:applause:

I've already had 2 interviews with one place, call them weekly or just go by and see them on my way home....I have a final interview Thursday and will find out something for sure....hoping its REALLY REALLY good news!!....Oh and that place has insurance!!! Yay...I can ride harder knowing that if I get hurt I can go to the doctor...:applause:

On the subject of interviews:

I have 12 people that work for me in 3 different states. I have replaced a fair amount of people in the last few years and am getting tired of conducting interviews :applause:

My best advice is:

Have a resume that makes sense, if it takes me more than 30 seconds to figure out what you are doing right now and what you have been doing it goes in the trash.

Do your research and rehearse your answers. With hiring laws being what they are any competent interviewer is going to be asking standard, 'approved' questions. These questions are not secret. Hint: when I ask someone "What is the most difficult situation you have ever faced at work and how did you handle it" I am NOT looking for 'ummmmmm'.

Be prompt/on time. If you are more than a few minutes late your resume goes in the trash or to the bottom of the pile. If you can't show up for your phone/face2face interview what makes me believe you will show up for the job?

We get really tired of saying the same crap over and over again to all the interviewee's so the easier you make it on us the better you look :applause:

Caveat: I hire professional/technical people that are reasonably well paid so I expect them to have their s$!t together, your mileage may vary depending on your field.

Charles

• Like 1

Good luck to ya on the final interview.

I've had a couple jobs where there was tons of drama and both of them I left for a new job. And I've never regretted it. I do love my current job (even though it's a terrible commute) and there's still drama. I'm a quasi-supervisor, so everyone complains to me about the co-workers and the "real" supervisors, and I just smile, nod my head and listen. They know I don't take sides, and just steer clear of the whole thing. I think there will always be drama- it's just a matter of making sure everyone knows you aren't part of it.

And again... GOOD LUCK! :applause:

I work for the local government and there is a lot of drama, but it is easy to avoid. Its not the best paying job I have ever had, but the perks of 4 10s and all holidays off and vacation time kind of make up for it.

John in Vegas

As of now I, and I have been for the past 3 years, been working for my dad at his shop...it has it's goods and bads. But it's a bunch of fun mainly because it's out in the country some what & there are ATV & Snowmobiling trails. So that's one of the good side's to it.

• Like 1

On the subject of interviews:

I have 12 people that work for me in 3 different states. I have replaced a fair amount of people in the last few years and am getting tired of conducting interviews :applause:

My best advice is:

Have a resume that makes sense, if it takes me more than 30 seconds to figure out what you are doing right now and what you have been doing it goes in the trash.

Do your research and rehearse your answers. With hiring laws being what they are any competent interviewer is going to be asking standard, 'approved' questions. These questions are not secret. Hint: when I ask someone "What is the most difficult situation you have ever faced at work and how did you handle it" I am NOT looking for 'ummmmmm'.

Be prompt/on time. If you are more than a few minutes late your resume goes in the trash or to the bottom of the pile. If you can't show up for your phone/face2face interview what makes me believe you will show up for the job?

We get really tired of saying the same crap over and over again to all the interviewee's so the easier you make it on us the better you look :applause:

Caveat: I hire professional/technical people that are reasonably well paid so I expect them to have their s$!t together, your mileage may vary depending on your field.

Charles

In Western Kentucky it take's $20 ( bring-home around $750 a week) an hour for a person to live decent on their own. A couple can do alright on $36 (about $4000 a month bring-home). Whats your idea of reasonably well paid? After that remark, I get the feeling I know why you are constantly having to find new people. The Pella Window factory pays $10 an hour and your insurance is basically free. $300 is bring-home. $1200 a month won't make payments, pay bills, and won't even pay the rest of the doctor bill IF you go to the doctor since their insurance doesn't accept hardly any doctor in this area. If you want good help....PAY for good help. Make it where they want to come to work because they can actually live off their pay. Underpayed employees is the problem with this area. The business fails because the idiots that work there can't do their job. The best gas station/pizza place here was bought out and hired all Gothic kids to run it. It went under within year. I don't want food made by those nastey ass kids. I also don't want my cell phone contract screwed up by some punk who happenes to be the same nerd who opened the place 10 years earlier. That would be like me hiring the football team for laborers. These kids are so stupid they can't walk accross their yard without falling down. They would work cheap though. Then I'm paying out the same amount for morons that I could be paying for good help. Divide 50 by 3...good help or 50 by 5...bad help. You'll get more done with 3.

I work for a large IT company inside of a large financial services company. In the last few years we have had a lot of opportunities open up in our otherwise stagnant field which is why I have had to source replacements. People doing the same stuff for 6 or 7 years get an opportunity to do something else without actually leaving the company. Some were new hires for new positions.

Pay is DOE (dependent on experience) and to some extent the cost of living where they live (all out West). I have brought people in anywhere from mid 30's (little experience) to 70's (possibly overqualified), ($k/year). Essentially semi-skilled to skilled IT people.

I've had people applying for a 35k/year job give much better interviews than people applying for 70k/year. People at the low end probably haven't been through that many interviews and I would not expect them to be as smooth. Someone going for a 70k/year job had better know the questions/answers just as well as me :applause:

In Western Kentucky it take's $20 ( bring-home around $750 a week) an hour for a person to live decent on their own. A couple can do alright on $36 (about $4000 a month bring-home). Whats your idea of reasonably well paid? After that remark, I get the feeling I know why you are constantly having to find new people. The Pella Window factory pays $10 an hour and your insurance is basically free. $300 is bring-home. $1200 a month won't make payments, pay bills, and won't even pay the rest of the doctor bill IF you go to the doctor since their insurance doesn't accept hardly any doctor in this area. If you want good help....PAY for good help. Make it where they want to come to work because they can actually live off their pay. Underpayed employees is the problem with this area. The business fails because the idiots that work there can't do their job. The best gas station/pizza place here was bought out and hired all Gothic kids to run it. It went under within year. I don't want food made by those nastey ass kids. I also don't want my cell phone contract screwed up by some punk who happenes to be the same nerd who opened the place 10 years earlier. That would be like me hiring the football team for laborers. These kids are so stupid they can't walk accross their yard without falling down. They would work cheap though. Then I'm paying out the same amount for morons that I could be paying for good help. Divide 50 by 3...good help or 50 by 5...bad help. You'll get more done with 3.

When we lived in KY, 7 years ago, my husband was bringing home initially $9.00/hr and I was bringing home $6.50. Our rent was $425 for a reasonably for a nice 2 bed/1.5 bath duplex with no garage but it did have a half basement. It was a HUGE deal when he went up to $11.00/hr (which he promptly quit after because he was sick of the people he was working for). When we moved back to CA in 1999, he was hired to START, doing the same job as in KY, for $20.50/hr. KY has LOW wages.

When we lived in KY, 7 years ago, my husband was bringing home initially $9.00/hr and I was bringing home $6.50. Our rent was $425 for a reasonably for a nice 2 bed/1.5 bath duplex with no garage but it did have a half basement. It was a HUGE deal when he went up to $11.00/hr (which he promptly quit after because he was sick of the people he was working for). When we moved back to CA in 1999, he was hired to START, doing the same job as in KY, for $20.50/hr. KY has LOW wages.

AMEN to the LOW wages!!!!

KY has LOW wages

But cost of living in Ca is insane!! (sigh... and I gotta move there!)

But cost of living in Ca is insane!! (sigh... and I gotta move there!)

When I moved from So. Cal to Michigan, my salary was cut almost in half in terms of wages I could get for doing the same work. However, most expenses in Michigan were not any cheaper. Food is outrageous, as is auto insurance. Right now the economy in MI is tanking and we have not hit bottom yet. Companies are closing down right and left and unemployment is high. It's going to be a long time before things turn around here and it's pretty scary.