Sign in to follow this  

idle ?

The idle on my 06 yz250 is iratic. Some times it idles real slow and will barely run and sometimes it is fast. This is happening in a mater of minutes or seconds. Like I will give it some gas and then let off and it will idle slow and then I will do it again and the idle will be fast.I was wondering if this is normal or if it is an indication of something not being correct and if so what? I have been having trouble getting this bike to run smooth and was wondering if this might help me find my problem. Thanks.

You could have an air leak somewhere? Check your carb boot on both sides, maybe even check your reeds, they could be chipped. Have you tried adjusting your air screw? Start at 1.5 turns out from all the way in and adjust from there to see if that helps. Could also be a fuel issue, make sure you have good gas and premix, clean out your fuel line and check the petcock. Maybe drain the fuel from the tank and start fresh. Make sure your spark plug is tight and the spark plug boot is sitting on snug. You could even dig into the carb, maybe your pilot jet fell out? One of these things should help you out. Just check around until you find the problem. Maybe your pilot jet is out of its adjustment range for the colder weather. Try a bigger pilot jet if all else fails. Hope I helped.

I had a similar problem with my 01 it had a bad base gasket.What I would do is start it up and spray some starting fluid around the base and head gasket and see if it raises the idle.you can also check the seal behind the flywheel spray some starting fluid there to if the idle picks up you have a leak.