Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400S oil capacity

I checked all of the FAQ's but did not see anything related to my problem. I changed the oil and filter on my 2001 DRZ400S. My manual says the capacity is 1.9 quarts when the filter is changed. I filled the frame tube with 1.9 quarts but it does not even show on my dipstick. I measured the oil I drained at approx 3 quarts. What gives.

Did someone put an external oil cooler on your Z? I always put 2quarts in mine, & after a good warm up it shows full on the stick.

You need to change your oil properly. Did you remove the crank case drain plug and the one from the frame?

Once you get that done, then follow the directions on checking the oil. Run the bike 3 -5 minutes. Let sit for 3 and check....

2 quarts with an oil filter is what you need. :applause:

See link below. Also, look at and read all the stickies at the top of the page...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428191

repeat...oil & filter change uses 2qts of oil..drain frame and motor.

I checked all of the FAQ's but did not see anything related to my problem. I changed the oil and filter on my 2001 DRZ400S. My manual says the capacity is 1.9 quarts when the filter is changed. I filled the frame tube with 1.9 quarts but it does not even show on my dipstick. I measured the oil I drained at approx 3 quarts. What gives.

Engine Oil Change = 1700 mL

Engine Oil and Filter change =1800 mL

Engine Overhaul = 1900 mL