Sign in to follow this  

what to do

hey i just bought metalcast anodizing spraypaint for my levers ( i cant justify paying a lot of money for asv folding levers). should i sand the levers b4 i paint them or just leave them how they are?? also.......do u guys have any other ideas for what would look cool like bolts or sumthing? thanks

yo i got the duplicolor metal cast primer and red anodized paint...it's good, i did it to my levers but then i got ASV Levers.. u can do it to ur timing plugs, oil filter cap, hot start lever, lever, axle blocks, bolts, etc...its nice....No dont sand it, just clean it with soap and let it dry then add the primer which will make it a good sticking surface for the paint...Also u can do non-metal objects by getting the metal ground coat, which turns the surface to act like a metal surface, u get the same effect as painting on a metal surface....I Painted all those stuff that i mentioned, but then i jsut got the real parts, just wanted to see wat they would look like b4 i bought them!!

go on their site and go to how to center and videos and scroll to metalcast....here http://duplicolor.com/training/metalcast_training.htm

its just like another 5 buks...but it helps the paint stick...

Linky no worky!

I painted my white mudflap red. I think it looks pretty sweet! I may try this metalcast but I would like to know how durable it is. I would do my timing plugs because they shouldn't be taking a beating, but will a powerwasher chip this stuff off? Does it fade and look like crap? What about the heat that gets to those parts?

well the duplicolor stuff especially the metalcast are used in car engines..liek valve covers...here try this again has some pics too http://duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html'>

http://duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html

then go to how to center--->then learning--->and scroll down to metalcast..

im not sure wat happens if u dnt use the primer

as for heat on the site it says "Want to dress up chrome and metal surfaces? METALCAST™ Anodized Color is the answer. Turn ordinary chrome pieces into a bright, transparent-colored metallic finish in an easy, one-step process. METALCAST™ is a durable enamel finish that is oil, gas and heat resistant to 500º F intermittently. Use it on both interior and exterior accessories - even high-heat applications under the hood! Available in seven popular anodized colors...To achieve the anodized metal look on non-metal or painted surfaces, first prime with METALCAST™ Ground Coat, then follow up with a METALCAST™ Color."

here ae some images....http://duplicolor.com/gallery/metalcast_gallery.html

so....should i primer it.....it says in the thing u got off the website to use primer on non metal or painted surfaces. im just using it on bolts, and levers which are metal....so, is it necesary?

no wat they mean is they have this other stuff wher if u have a non metal surface u can use their metalcast "ground coat"which will make it like if it was a metal surface, then u can add the paint and it will look like its anodized...To achieve the anodized metal look on non-metal or painted surfaces, first prime with METALCAST™ Ground Coat, then follow up with a METALCAST™ Color."

if the surface is non metal--->then u use the ground coat then the coloring coat

if the surface is metal----> then use the clear primer coat then the coloring coat

the movie clip is cool they turn the valve cover into a blue anodizes one. i would suggest to use the primer...u can't see it go on its clear, it's purpose is to make the surface nice and tacky so the paint will stick to it much better...but if u dnt have the primer it will probably have the same effect...try it on some other bolts or bicycle levers

Just get the primer, don't rush anything unless you want it to turn out like crap. I wouldn't paint your levers, ASV levers are worth the money, there is a warranty on them, so if you break them you don't have to worry about anything happening thing to them. Krylon primer will not work.

i had asv levers on my 85 (dont have them listed as a mod though...bought them right b4 i sold the bike) and they were great. i just dont want 2 spend all that money now...rather spend it on sumthin else

hwo much did u get them for i know a site where u can get them 58 each

thats good considering they are liek 70+ MSRP....

post up pics if u do it

especially the timing plugs they will look just like th eride engineering ones

yea.....i dont think im gonna do the levers anymore. most likely going 2 do the timing plug, axle blocks and some other bolts. i'll porb. do it this weekend cuz now i have 2 go back out 2 autozone for the primer

yea.....i dont think im gonna do the levers anymore. most likely going 2 do the timing plug, axle blocks and some other bolts. i'll porb. do it this weekend cuz now i have 2 go back out 2 autozone for the primer

do it on some bmx bike or ur mini and try them out

yea i'll try that see how they hold up. do one time with out primer and when that wears off do it with primer and see how each hold up. i'll post pictures when im done painting bu that prob. wont b until this weekend.

i forgot to tell u, if u do get the primer its calld DUPLI-COLOR Adhesive promoter:bonk: