Sign in to follow this  

Get me out of novice class

OK heres the story. I'm 23, 6ft 190 pound rider on a 2006 crf250r. I race every other weekend and ride atleast twice a week. My bike has about 30 hrs of engine time on. I race in the novice class and haven't placed above 6th place, which isn't bad because there are atleast 12 people racing. I noticed that everyone i race against has some form of aftermarket part on there bike. I feel like i'm raceing good but don't have enough power to keep up. I want to spend around a grande on performace upgrades. I don't want to blow it all on exhaust. I've been looking into getting a hot cam. Does anyone have any performace ideas for me, i'm sure this question has been asked like a million times but i appreciate the info.

Please dont waste your money on aftermarket parts unless you want to look good.

In order to get out of the novice class you must ride faster, not have a faster bike. Trust me.

Get your suspention done by a quality shop and then maybe look into some lessons with someone local. You will benefit far more and be out nof the novice class MUCH quicker.

Your bike has enough power.

Jason

Its not the bike its the rider, just by getiing aftermarket parts is not gonna make you a quicker rider, learn to ride the bike to its potential then maybe you might need to bump it up.

Btw not trying to run you down here, just I always believe aftermarket parts are not going to make you savage quick unless you can use the extra power.

i agree with everyone else, your average person is not going to be able to get all the power out of a 250f, i would look a suspension way before motor work.

I would invest a little bit of money in a quality cam (such as RHC's) and maybe get a new header, such as a fmf megabomb or powerbomb and then just practice more...

I agree that your best bet is to work on your skills rather than your bike. The only exception to this would be having your suspension set up if it isn't already. The stock springs should be right on for a guy your size. Service the forks and shock and spend some time trying to find clicker settings that work for you and the tracks you race before considering revalving. Keep the bike in tip top running condition and keep fresh rubber on it.

The stock springs should be right on for a guy your size. Service the forks and shock and spend some time trying to find clicker settings that work for you and the tracks you race before considering revalving. Keep the bike in tip top running condition and keep fresh rubber on it.

#190's a little heavy for the stock springs. But agree that clicker setting and skills will help. The blasts of speed from power mods are only useful if you can manage the new speed. Ive seen riders with so much speed and power it slows them down in new mistakes in corner speed management and other obstacel speed management.

I will agree to a certain extent that it's the rider and not the bike, but if you are a big guy like alot of us, and you are on a 250F, you have to be on your game to compete. You have to ride it pinned, have your cornering down, and moreover be really good at shifting and knowing your gears.

I've ridden a 450 and you can absolutely FLY around a track without half the shifting and concentrating on not losing momentum. The power in my opinion really makes up for skill deficiancies and the extra weight the bike has to pull. You're at a disadvantage if you're over 175 lbs. Just my 2 cents.

I have a Powerbomb header and Factory 4 pipe on my 05, and with a little fuel screw adjustment, it really woke up. Enough so that I went down a tooth on the rear, where most go up. You have to lay on the throttle coming out of the corners but I found I get more out of each gear. Real nice top end speed. Most guys are really surprised by the power delivery with no major engine mods.

Good luck man.

Please dont waste your money on aftermarket parts unless you want to look good.

In order to get out of the novice class you must ride faster, not have a faster bike. Trust me.

Get your suspention done by a quality shop and then maybe look into some lessons with someone local. You will benefit far more and be out nof the novice class MUCH quicker.

Your bike has enough power.

Jason

Listen to JAY, This is the best advice. Get your suspension done buy a reputable company and a few training sessions with an instructor. Suspension and the basics like form, body position…etc. will help you go faster more than any aftermarket part out there. :applause:

Practice, Practice, Practice!!! The start is so important in a race. It is your only opportunity to pass everyone at once. Aside from that keep practicing and you will improve.

Anyone who blatenly sandbags to win a 2 dollar trophy has issues. Most track owners (non AMA) bump riders up they feel are in the incorrect class.

My 2 cents

the first theing i do to every bike is suspension, the money is well spent, and another set of sprockets, kept the front the same and bigger 2 on the rear, gave me another option on gearing, depending on what track i rode. Later on i got hot cams with a high compression piston and it made a world of difference, bu i would suggest suspension, and seat time! :applause: :applause:

aftermarket parts do help, but as everyone else has stated, it s the rider.

you can buy the most expensive pair of Air Jordans, but they don't make you a better basketball player.

have someone video tape you, then watch later, you ll see how you ride compared to how the faster guys ride.

that s how i learned to snowboard better, watch someone who is better than you. apply their style of riding and make it your own.

and lastly, PRACTICE!!!:applause: