I cant register a SSR bike in California WTF!

Ok after 4 days of researching and learning I have narrowed it down to a SSR 125E. NOW I find out you can't register (red or green) sticker in California. GREAAAT! :applause::eek:?? :cry: :applause:

SO

What are you fellow Californians doing? Are you just not registering these bikes and not worrying about it?

Ok after 4 days of researching and learning I have narrowed it down to a SSR 125E. NOW I find out you can't register (red or green) sticker in California. GREAAAT! :applause::eek:?? :cry: :applause:

SO

What are you fellow Californians doing? Are you just not registering these bikes and not worrying about it?

i know pitsters can be cali reg'd as far as the rest i'm not too sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Im still trying to figure out what to do with a green sticker bike in Cali that doesnt have a spark arrestor. I cali you need a spark arrestor to ride off the track.

If anyone knows a way to get it to pass the stick test, ala insert, new pipe, please let us know. Ive seen the question posted multiple times with no reply from pitster.

-fu

Im still trying to figure out what to do with a green sticker bike in Cali that doesnt have a spark arrestor. I cali you need a spark arrestor to ride off the track.

If anyone knows a way to get it to pass the stick test, ala insert, new pipe, please let us know. Ive seen the question posted multiple times with no reply from pitster.

-fu

Just by a compatible pipe with a sparky... :applause:

What kind of pipe fits your bike? CRF50... KLX..etc...

Just by a compatible pipe with a sparky... :eek:

What kind of pipe fits your bike? CRF50... KLX..etc...

Thats a good question! No one seems to know what after market pipes fit on a x2. I've mange to dig up that a stock 50 wont work, and any pipe made for an SDG might.

If you have more info let me know. =) :applause:

Thats a good question! No one seems to know what after market pipes fit on a x2. I've mange to dig up that a stock 50 wont work, and any pipe made for an SDG might.

If you have more info let me know. =) :applause:

Any stock or aftermarket CRF50 pipe will bolt up to the head of the Pitster motor, it is mounting the pipe to the sub-frame were you can run into an issue. Since the Pitster motor is a 125 it has a taller cylinder, which in return pushes the whole exhaust system forward on the bike. So, if you have a 50 pipe that has the fixed sub-frame mounting bracket, then it will not line up with the mount on the sub-frame. To remedy this you get a pipe with an adjustable bracket on the pipe or you fab a metal bracket to use with the fix mount style pipe.

Off the top of my head the Big Gun Mini pipe and the FMF PowerCore 4 come with spark arrestors, but both also have fixed sup-frame mounts.

Ok after 4 days of researching and learning I have narrowed it down to a SSR 125E. NOW I find out you can't register (red or green) sticker in California. GREAAAT! ?:devil:?:goofy:?:applause:

SO

If you are not allowed to register it, make them say that in writing, then if you are stopped while riding, whip out the written word from the DMV-kinda hard to ticket someone for non-registration when you are told they refuse to register it.:eek:

-fu

Try this-if the endcap is removable, remove it, and place some stainless steel bug screen over then end of the pipe, usually 2-3 layers, then replace the endcap, trimming off the excess flush at the cap-voila-instant spark arrestor.:goofy:

Total cost $10 and maybe half an hour (maybe a beer, too)?

It passed the Oregon Department of Forestry and BLM test, so why not CA??

weird..my husqvarna smr510 is a full race supermoto bike/mx bike thats fully street legal and plated from the dealership...yet u cant get a tiny ass pitbike registered?...maybe your dmv is retarded like 90% of the ca dmv's or your not doing something right when your taking it down there...

i wouldnt stress riding it though, its just a pitbike and if you got a spark arrestor usually park rangers wont say too much since its a small bike

Try this-if the endcap is removable, remove it, and place some stainless steel bug screen over then end of the pipe, usually 2-3 layers, then replace the endcap, trimming off the excess flush at the cap-voila-instant spark arrestor.?

Total cost $10 and maybe half an hour (maybe a beer, too):eek:

It passed the Oregon Department of Forestry and BLM test, so why not CA?:applause:

Ya that’s what I'm in the process of doing =) I got the cap off last night. 1.5 mil button head allen’s that were lock tighted to hell! I’m going to see if I can paint it black or candy apple red while its off =)

Oh and I had no problem registering my Pitster out there in Cali.

weird..my husqvarna smr510 is a full race supermoto bike/mx bike thats fully street legal and plated from the dealership...yet u cant get a tiny ass pitbike registered?...maybe your dmv is retarded like 90% of the ca dmv's or your not doing something right when your taking it down there...

i wouldnt stress riding it though, its just a pitbike and if you got a spark arrestor usually park rangers wont say too much since its a small bike

funny ... for sure ... rangers are typically cool, but strange you can get a monster 510 and not a 125 registered. that isjust the way it goes i guess. ride on bro ! :applause:

As far as being able to register a bike, there is a list that the CARB maintains. You can look here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#6

If you can't find a bike you can't register it.

Spark arrestors are about the same. They need a stamp that says "USFS

Approved." Home made spark arrestors will not cut it. You must have an approved unit to be legal in California.

As far as being able to register a bike, there is a list that the CARB maintains. You can look here http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#6

Approved." Home made spark arrestors will not cut it. You must have an approved unit to be legal in California.

Easy, fake it, stainless strainer mod, and t hen get some stamps, and stamp a nice USFS on it. Instant legal. :applause: Ca sucks, they've got WAY to many tree huggers and LAWS/

Worked fine for me yesterday. :applause::eek: