Sign in to follow this  

SAG target values?

I have a new 2004 DRZ400E. I weigh 185. I ride mostly on jeep type roads - no jumping.

I searched and read many posts on this forum about suspension tuning. But, I seem to get conflicting target values for the static SAG and race SAG.

Mine are:

Static SAG = 2 3/8" = 60.325mm

Race SAG = 4 7/8" = 123.825mm

From what I've read, I need to get the Race SAG to 4" or slightly below. I believe to do that I will need to increase the pre-load (compress the spring more with the nut).

Am I on the right track, or do I need a stiffer spring to start with??

Thanks!

Yes thats right increase the preload race sag should be about 100mm (4inches). Static sag should be about 30% of that. Not sure but I think the stock spring should be good for 185. If your static is more than about 30% your spring may be too heavy, if its a lot less than 30% it may be too light.

My numbers are:

Race sag= 100mm/ 4''

Static sag= 38mm (means shock spring a just a tad on the hard side)

Just reinstalled my suspension saturday after having Devol in Enumclaw, Wa revalve it.

Have not had a chance to ride it yet to see how they did.

.44 springs and 5.5 Shock, I weigh 175lbs and ride single track trails.

I have a new 2004 DRZ400E. I weigh 185. I ride mostly on jeep type roads - no jumping.

I searched and read many posts on this forum about suspension tuning. But, I seem to get conflicting target values for the static SAG and race SAG.

Mine are:

Static SAG = 2 3/8" = 60.325mm

Race SAG = 4 7/8" = 123.825mm

From what I've read, I need to get the Race SAG to 4" or slightly below. I believe to do that I will need to increase the pre-load (compress the spring more with the nut).

Am I on the right track, or do I need a stiffer spring to start with??

Thanks!

These articles helped me out immensely when adjusting my suspenders.:applause:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271134

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271120

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330794

Also remember to measure static sag AFTER your race sag is set around 100mm. Less than 25-30mm = spring too light, much more than 30mm spring too heavy.

I think the bike steers better with a little less race sag, like 90mm instead of 100mm. At your weight, the static sag should be fine with the race sag set anywhere between 85 ~ 105mm. You'll notice a huge difference changing from your current setting at nearly 5". Your rear suspension will feel like you have more travel, and the bike will steer a little quicker.

The Race Sag formula of 30% of total travel is just a guideline for a starting point. And the 4" number comes from the current moto's that have 12" or more of travel, which a DRZ does not have. Not many riders can feel a small change in the sag adjustment, but it does affect how a bike steers and handles. You should notice a big difference changing from where you have been set at.

90 to 100mms is the sweet zone.

Just be sure not to crank the spring down past it's 9.75 inch minimum static installed length. The spring's design operating range is only from 10.25 inches down to 9.75 inches. That's just a half inch of adjusment measured at the collar.

If you have to go beyond this point to achieve the desired race sag, then you need to upgrade to a stiffer spring.

:applause:

FYI, the stock spring is designed for a 150 # rider. You might be able to preload in enough to get the race sag where you want it but then the static will be off.

What you should do is get the right spring for your weight and anticipated riding conditions and start there. Make sure to make similar changes to the forks.

Also...

The S model spring is actually stiffer than the E model spring. (E = 5.3 and S = 5.5)

So you might be able to get a used S spring from someone who has bought an aftermarket spring to match their weight.

At 185 pounds, the S model 5.5 spring will be just about perfect for your weight.

you know, you really NEED a complete Yosh Ti on that bike.....

.... I have a complete 06 SM shock going up for grabs anyday now.... I'll swap it for a complete, excellent condition, E exhaust.

Is this too shamless or what?

Is there any rhyme or reason to rear spring colors? My '05S spring is white, and my buddies '04S spring is red. Are colors representative of load carrying capability, or just a design change???:applause:

I really appreciate all the help I'm getting from you guys. And I love this bike.:applause:

I've already put the following into it: Baja kit, Kouba links, case guards, Unabiker radiator guards, Tusk handlebar risers, Vapor, PMB tail rack, Tonn skid plate, gel seat, and Acerbis Rally Pro handguards. It's fun to work on! Who knows, maybe I'll get brave enough to 3x3 and rejet it.

I will try adjusting the race sag and then measure the static sag. But, it sounds like I'll have to buy new springs - cause I know I'm not going on a 25 lbs diet.

Regards,

UtahReddirt

2004 DRZ400E - plated

2003 V-Strom DL1000

My own experience, and that of many other posters over the years, is that the stock springs for a DRZ-E are for a targeted rider weight of around the 170 - 180 lb range. The Kouba Link might have your suspension riding too soft, for that reason you might need a stiffer spring. Read this.

I pulled my E snorkel and changed my main jet from the stock 142 to a 138. I didn't buy any jetting kit or mess with the needle and my bike rides great from 4,000' to 9,000'. Are you riding the west desert, or getting up into the Wasatch Mtns? If you're mostly staying down low, just pull the snorkel off and see how it does. I bet you'll be fine with it.

Are colors representative of load carrying capability.

Nope...

Regardless of colour, the stock E has a 5.3 rear spring, and the stock S has a slightly stiffer 5.5.

Kouba links also affect the suspension, increasing the ratio of the linkage. Stock is about 4 to 1. Kouba 1's are ok, 2's are sort of an issue and 3's are a definite problem. You should or have put in a spacer in the shock instead. 11mm drops it about 2"~1.75". That alone will make a difference. The right spring will also help immensely.

I am 205 lbs buck nekid and my sag with 5 lbs of gear on a pretty much stock 2003 DRZ400S is at 101.6mm (8 3/4") race and 31.75mm (1 1/4") static. I have trimmed some weight from the bike, but not all that much; 2 or 3 lbs I'd guess.

In short, my sag rates are right where they belong according to the provided links. What gives?

2003 DRZ400S is at 101.6mm (8 3/4") race and 31.75mm (1 1/4") static.

101 mms is 4 inches not 8. I assume that's a typo?

At 205 pounds it is possible that you may get the S model's 5.5 spring in the 100 mm ballpark.

However...

Make sure you have not cranked the spring down beyond it's 9.75 inch minimum. If you have, your handling will go to shit, and you may damage the spring.

The design operating range for the spring is only 9.75 to 10.25 inches of static installed length.

If you have compressed the spring beyond 9.75 inches, this is a direct indication that you need to move up to a 5.7 spring.

101 mms is 4 inches not 8. I assume that's a typo?

At 205 pounds it is possible that you may get the S model's 5.5 spring in the 100 mm ballpark.

However...

Make sure you have not cranked the spring down beyond it's 9.75 inch minimum. If you have, your handling will go to shit, and you may damage the spring.

The design operating range for the spring is only 9.75 to 10.25 inches of static installed length.

If you have compressed the spring beyond 9.75 inches, this is a direct indication that you need to move up to a 5.7 spring.

Yes it was a typo. The race sag is exactly 4 inches which was 22 3/4" extended less 18 3/4" with my fat butt on it. :applause:

I have never adjusted the suspension, but have had it in a race shop and they may have. When I get home tonight, I will check the compression. Thanks for the idea.

Get the 5.5kg. I did. It keeps the rear up coming off corners reducing the dreaded DRZ chopper effect. If it's too soft, it won't help, no matter how much you crank on the adjuster. You can get an S spring for next to nothing.