Sign in to follow this  

Can you coast with the motors off?

We trail ride in some big mountain areas where it's fun and safer (you can hear someone coming up) to coast downhill in neutral with the motors off. We had always done this back in the 2-stroke days. Can this be done with the 4-strokes (specifically the KX-450F)? I've asked several people and received different answers so I'm asking here. Thanks

If the motor is in neutral, it will coast fine, just make sure you dont pop start it to get it going again, that can cause your cam chain to jump.

If the motor is in neutral, it will coast fine, just make sure you dont pop start it to get it going again, that can cause your cam chain to jump.

:applause: never heard that.... can you explain please :applause:

:applause: never heard that.... can you explain please :applause:

Oh #$%(*&^ I do it all the time. Yes, please explain:confused:

Thats the first youve heard of that? When you bump start your bike, its giving a ton of force on the cam chain and can cause them to jump teeth. My friend was popping starting his 05 kx250f and his jumped.

I'm not here to make up things. I've seen it happen personally, and I was just saying that it can happen. Choice to believe me or not, I'm not here to mislead anyone or lie to them.

i could see where it could happen if the cam chain tensoner wasnt doing its job but other than that i dont think so. People have been bump starting their bikes for years and i havent heard of it happening.. :applause:

i could see where it could happen if the cam chain tensoner wasnt doing its job but other than that i dont think so. People have been bump starting their bikes for years and i havent heard of it happening.. :applause:

Bump start, kick start, press the starter button..... It's all the same thing

Back to the orginal question:

Yes you can coast with the motor off :applause:

Once again I'm not hear to mislead anyone. Maybe something could have been wrong with his adjuster, i don't know. I was just passing on info that i have seen from personal experience. Oh, and sorry for taking over your thread! :applause:

how the hell do you ride a dirtbike with the engine off? no way jose, doesn't sound safe to me at all. You may need power at anytime to overcome obstacles that might come at you suddenly. unless of course you ride downhill on a flat gravel road...

That should be explanation enough.

Haha, I knew the age was going to come up. Once again, I'm just trying to help and pass on some TRUE information. I really could care less about you and your opinion. I would consider my self very knowledgeable when it comes to motorcycles and my age has no connection with that. Like I previously stated, something could have been wrong with his tensioner, I really don't know, But for you to come in here and just say something about my age is completly wrong and unhelpful to this thread. Sorry for passing my knowledge on to others and you should feel embarrassed passing on your idiocy.

Not beyond the realm of possibility, maybe, if the cam chain were as loose as a long-necked goose (q.v., "Chantilly Lace," The Big Bopper); however . . . the initial shock of bump-starting is taken up by the drivetrain reacting against the cylinder compression, often breaking loose, at least briefly, the rear tire; anyway, the shock of bump-starting isn't transmitted directly to the cam chain, seems to me; jumping a sprocket tooth appears unlikely; I did NOT say, "impossible."

If memory serves, some all-out racing bikes were "bump-start only," no kickstarter lever to save a few precious ounces of weight.

I'm sticking up for makey, he simply reported what he's seen happening. And he also admitted that there could have been something else wrong with the bike. You don't have to be dick just becuase he's 16, he certainly seems more mature than that and for you to chew him up like that it only shows your cockiness

That should be explanation enough.

Fred, with all due respect to your 46 years of age, mackey is a very valuable asset to this forum and did not deserve that comment. I'm 36 and am glad he's here.

If memory serves, some all-out racing bikes were "bump-start only," no kickstarter lever to save a few precious ounces of weight.

You are correct.

Another example from back in the day: they used to have to "run start" road racing bikes. Yup, that's right, they would run as fast as they could while pushing their bikes and then jump on and pop the clutch.

MotoGP bikes are started with what is called a "rear wheel trolley starter". They push the trolley up behind the rear tire. The trolley has rubber wheels that butt up next to the bikes rear wheel. They turn the trolley on, which turns the rear wheel and "jump starts" the bike.

Thank you to some of you who stuck up for me. Like I said, something else could have been wrong with the bike. I was just trying to pass on information and didn't want to start any of this flaming. Xerces and titanium armor guy, thanks again.