Sign in to follow this  

Wrist popping??

I injured my hand a couple years ago (3). I punched a wall and broke the two outer bones (metacarpal?). Yes I know it was stupid, but sometimes you get news you just can't take.

One bone was splintered like a board and the other a clean break. The first Dr put pins in it and it healed at a 45 degree angle leaving me with limited use and extreme pain. The second Dr. rebroke the bone 6 months later and set it using a plate and pins which still remain, he did an excellent job and I only had pain the very first day after surgery, not a single pain killer was taken from then on, range of motion increased and use, still not 100% but closer to 70% range of motion.

They only originally worried about the hand. When it was pulled out of the cast the wrist was sore and they blamed it on the cast. I've had some popping/clicking sounds that have been getting worse. It's always 2 clicks when moving the wrist up and down, sometimes 3 clicks and my range of motion is worse than the other. It's been sore here and there but a couple weeks ago at the track it took a beating and has been really sore/painful since. That was three weeks ago. I have a race this weekend and then am heading in to see someone next week. I'm a little stubborn and didn't want to have it looked at before then in case they say I can't race.... LOL. Any initial food for thought?

Thanks Dr!!!

I can't get a picture of what is wrong by just the description. Do you also have pain? Could you post a picture of the wrist/hand with a pencil pointing to where the clicking and/or pain is located?

First thanks for taking your time to discuss this.

hand.jpg

Looking at the image the blue circle is the area that the popping seems to be coming from. To me it seems like it's on top of the wrist. It's the only area of the wrist I can feel the popping by placing my fingers there. It is an audible pop/click that even others can hear. The area in red is where the pain/soreness seems to come from except on the palm or bottom of the wrist. It's on the right side and the right half of the crease where my hand and wrist come together. And only seems to be sore on the bottom. Sometimes the whole wrist is sore, but the bottom and right are sore the majority of the time.