Sign in to follow this  

155 main with new mods.

Hey guys,

Just got my bike back,with my new goodies.Stage 1 hot cam,CP 13.5.1 piston

and Ron's 07 R ported head.Haven' got to ride it yet,I want to put my hour meter on first to get a good check on how things go.I was wondering what size main jet would be good?Sea level to about 5000ft max.Full ccc modded but still have the X header with the R can.I'm running a 155 now,is this ok?

I'm thinking more like a 160-165?

Any body guess how much HP this bike will be making?36-38 HP?

I got at least 180hrs and over 1800 miles on my stock valves and piston.I'm sure in the end there, I was down a little on power but never had any blow by.I shimmed once at got 8 hrs out of it.When my head came off there was one valve fixing to snap as there was a gap between head and valve.Any way

good thing she stopped running and saved me a barrel.Looking for longer life out of this set up,but it will be hard to beat the previous stock life.:applause:

TWS.

Sweet set up. You will have to give a ride report . What temp are you riding at? 0-5000' is alot of elevation to jet for. I would start with at least 165 maybe 168.

165-posssibly a 170 on the main. I think you're optimistic on the HP rating.If I remember right Martin had his 307 with Ron"s cam dyno at 38 Hp 24 Ft lbs of torque. You're going to have to up the carb size for more Hp. I wouldn't worry about what it makes on the dyno, just how it performs in the dirt. Although it would be interesting to know what it makes.

5000 ft would be the highest,and just once in a while.High dessert and Arizona, Prescott area.Most of the time in the low dessert.Temps 60-80*

When I talked to Ron, he said close to 37 give or take a bit add a couple more with fuel and CHM pipe.Sure would like to dyno and know.

My mechanic said the thing was running fine with the 155,but the 05 R with the same size carb starts at 165,(can't compare with the 06-07 bigger carbs)which Ron suggested 158-165.What will I notice or not notice with the 155 if I keep it in?Flat spot?I defintley don't want to be running lean.

You may be right. I just reread Martins dyno results: 42.2 Hp out of that setup. So 37 should be in the ball park.

I ran mine with a 150 main, 07 R head and hotcams and didn't notice any problems. I gradually upped it to a 165, and it still runs great and honestly I can't tell the difference. The bike doesn't foul plugs and runs great, no flat spots and pulls hard.

Since yours is ported I would guess that you could easily run a 165. Your pretty much running a R setup so the R jetting chart would apply.

You can always start small and up the jet size. It only cost a few bucks to buy the jets and a few minutes to switch them out. The best way to jet a bike is with a dyno, but I don't know too many people that have access to them. I'd just break it in and do some high speed runs to see how it pulls at full throttle, make a change and do it again. It's probably better to have the main to fat than too lean.