Sign in to follow this  

What engine is this?

notice the position of the pipe
I noticed that also. As far as I can tell from the fiche, CR80's/85's have always had the expansion chamber on the right side of the bike.

In the earlier part of the '80s and prior, most all of the two strokes ran their pipes down the left side. A picture of the opposite side of the engine would help alot...

In the earlier part of the '80s and prior, most all of the two strokes ran their pipes down the left side. A picture of the opposite side of the engine would help alot...

That's the only pics that are available to me.

i would have to say its a kx motor.. simply because of the pipe.. as many people have already said the cr's never had the pipe on that side of the bike.. so with that said.. its a kx 80 motor:applause:

I have a cr80 1997 and it look like this motor is a cr80 motor but it's 1995 or before by the position of the cooling outlet on the head... look the online microfiche here http://www.yamahaoftroy.com/fiche_select.asp... look for 1995 cr80 and see the cylinder fiche ans also the right crankcase cover it look similar to the pics... wrong pipe, honda is on the rigth side...

• Like 1

From looking at the microfiche, the first watercooled CR80 was 1983. It and the '84 had a square-head cylinder. The cylinder in the photos was introduced in 1985, and did not change until 1996, when they redirected the coolant port to face toward the rear of the bike, rather than out the right side.

The right crankcase cover matches the CR80 engines from '85 - '95 also. That pipe is definitely not from a CR80 of this time frame and probably not from a CR 80 at all, unless it was one of the '82 or previous air-cooled versions.

It is a Honda CR80, from 1985 to 1995.

If you can pull the VIN off the cases, you can find out exact info online, likely through a google search for VIN/serial numbers.

From looking at the microfiche, the first watercooled CR80 was 1983. It and the '84 had a square-head cylinder. The cylinder in the photos was introduced in 1985, and did not change until 1996, when they redirected the coolant port to face toward the rear of the bike, rather than out the right side.

The right crankcase cover matches the CR80 engines from '85 - '95 also. That pipe is definitely not from a CR80 of this time frame and probably not from a CR 80 at all, unless it was one of the '82 or previous air-cooled versions.

It is a Honda CR80, from 1985 to 1995.

If you can pull the VIN off the cases, you can find out exact info online, likely through a google search for VIN/serial numbers.

Cool, thanks alot man! And thanks to everyone who helped!! :applause: