Sign in to follow this  

XR100 top end rebuild/o-ring question

Getting ready to rebuild the top end of a basket engine I got. The Clymers manual shows a small o-ring on one of the studs between the head and cylinder. I do not see this o-ring in the fische view for parts. Nor does it look like there is a seat/groove for an o-ring in either the head or cylinder. Is there or is there not an o-ring where the Clymers manual shows it?

Getting ready to rebuild the top end of a basket engine I got. The Clymers manual shows a small o-ring on one of the studs between the head and cylinder. I do not see this o-ring in the fische view for parts. Nor does it look like there is a seat/groove for an o-ring in either the head or cylinder. Is there or is there not an o-ring where the Clymers manual shows it?

Not that I recall. There are two dowels though. Could that be what your seeing?

It goes on the right rear hole on early 100's. Up to 1993 or so. There's no grove because the head gasket had a slightly bigger hole that the o-ring went in.

Thanks. This is a 93, so maybe it doesn't apply. What was the point originally?

Oil comes up that stud. That way, the head didn't leak. If you buy a top end gasket kit for that year, make sure the head gasket doesn't have an enlarged hole. The early models also use thicker head gaskets, which is the give away.