HOW-TO; Linkage Bearing Removal and Replacement.

So....you forgot to grease your linkage bearings or they are just plain worn out??

Never fear, with a few tools and some parts you can have your linkage back to it's pristene form.

First measure the gap on both sides, this one happened to be 3mm on each side.

bearingpress001.jpg

I am going to use the motion pro swingarm tool and a couple of sockets (Motion pro tool is for install only, the sockets+tool will remove bearings) You COULD make your own tool with a piece of all-thread and a couple of nuts and washers, I chose to just buy the tool because I am a tool whore, but that's another story....

Use one socket that is just small enough to fit THROUGH the linkage and that connects to the edge of the bearing race, use a larger socket on the opposite side that has an I.D. that is large enough for the bearing race to pass through without touching the socket, Two pieces of pipe would work too, but the sockets were more handy.

Here is the press installed and ready for bearing removal, along with the other needed tools, I suggest a shot of penetrating oil onto the race to aid in slippage, I like "Aerokroil" as it eats rust and lubricates.

bearingpress003.jpg

Use socket and wrench to turn nuts, this will press the smaller socket into the linkage and press out old race into the larger socket on the other side.

bearingpress004.jpg

Now choose the proper size insert from Motion Pro set, it comes with three different sizes to accomodate different bearings found on the CRF. Make sure to line everything perfect as to not destroy the new bearing race in the process, I had to remove the needle bearings so the insert would fit into the race, I wanted to clean all of the stock grease from the bearings and race and replace it with Maxima grease anyway.

*** Note the red mark on insert!! it is 3mm from the edge of the insert, use a mm scale and a sharpie to mark how far you want to press bearing race into linkage, use socket and wrench to turn the nuts to press new bearing into linkage, when the red mark hits the linkage you know you have a perfect 3mm insertion into linkage.

Re-grease needle bearings and finish with a new sleeve, collars and seals!

bearingpress006.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I read that you have to be careful heating the aluminum linkage parts but the bearing races were being stubborn when trying to remove them so I thought I was going to have to resort to a bit of heat.

Turns out that just heating the aluminum linkage parts in a tub of hot water and then pouring some hot water from a kettle over them was enough to allow the races to be easily tapped out with just a screw driver and hammer.

The 'Shock Link' (not shown in the pictures) has an inner lip so you can't press them right through. Maybe there is some other special press tool to allow you to press them out but I don't have it.

The 'Shock Arm' (as shown in the pictures above) does not have inner lips so all of those bearings can be pressed out.

Edited by DarrenJ

Why not just throw the linkage on a press? (I've never actually done one so I may be missing something???)

most people dont have a press in their garage. but that would be the easiest option.

rather than buying the tool. i just grabbed a piece of all thread, some nuts, and some washers. it worked fine.

• 8 months later...
The 'Shock Link' (not shown in the pictures) has an inner lip so you can't press them right through. Maybe there is some other special press tool to allow you to press them out but I don't have it.

The 'Shock Arm' (as shown in the pictures above) does not have inner lips so all of those bearings can be pressed out.

Just a little heat and tap, tap tap and they fall right out. Apply heat on the install and the bearings go right in without too much effort. Press won't work due to the shoulder the bearings are pressed against and the limited amount of material available to use for pushing out. No issues with getting too hot if you are using propane or MAP.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi 

Does anybody know if the linkage bearing triangle - you can press all of the bearings out using a vice? Or does the double end have a lip in the inside between the two bearings? 

Please see pic below where I circled what I mean. Is there a lip on the inside separating the two bearings. Or is it just an empy gap. 

Thanks

bearingpress004.jpg

Hi 

Does anybody know if the linkage bearing triangle - you can press all of the bearings out using a vice? Or does the double end have a lip in the inside between the two bearings? 

Please see pic below where I circled what I mean. Is there a lip on the inside separating the two bearings. Or is it just an empy gap. 

Thanks

Edit: For the part you describe, the manual shows them using a press in a similar fashion to the original post from Dust Devil.

Edited by IvanCRF