Sign in to follow this  

kx250 vs kdx220

wich bike is better for woods riding if i were to get the 250 i would convert it into a woods racer

The KDX is designed for woods riding, has less suspesnion, lower seat height, and the motor is tuned for that kind of riding. That being said 250 mx'rs are very popular in the woods. I do quite a bit of woods riding, but my bike is really set up for mx.

I can speak from experience here, at least about the KX250.

I bought a stock, "track ready" '99 KX250 and set it up for woods. For my riding style it took a lot of effort and money. But once I got it where I wanted it, it's been a joy! I can flick it around easier b/c it's lighter weight than my previous woods bike (KLX300). I don't know the weight of a KDX but I would think that it would be a little heavier.....which isn't necessarilly a bad thing especially when running over rocks.

With either bike, just make sure that you get your suspension sprung and valved for your riding style and experience. It'll make you enjoy the bike more than any other mod.

The KDX should be better right out of the box for tight, technical stuff whereas you may need to modify the KX with gearing and suspension changes (at least, I did). My KX was setup for the track and was really stiff. It beat me to death until I set my suspension for trails/woods.

The KX engine is a higher output motor, which can be a hazard in the tight stuff if you're fighting the hit all the time. A flywheel weight can tame some of that and make it more usable, lessening the wheel spin and getting more traction. The last thing you want to do is spend half your time roosting and fishtailing everywhere.

That's just been my experience. But I'm almost 40 and not bulletproof anymore! :-)

Karl

how much money total did it cost to make your kx woods worth

y

I'll give you the run-down.

I sold my 02 KLX300 for $2,300. Bought the 99 KX250 for $1,600. Then I added FMF Gnarly pipe and PowerCore "Q" silencer; Cycra pro-bend bark busters, VForce3 reeds and cage, 13/50 sprockets and X-ring chain, Race Tech springs, and re-valved shock and forks, found an Applied top triple clamp on eBay brand new for $25 (a steal there); Renthal Fatty bars, and new bearings on linkage and rear suspension. Oh, also a new rear tire.

I'll put it to you this way, I put all the money that I got from the sale of my KLX back into my KX. But I planned it that way to get it woods ready. I know, it's an older bike and why did I do that but I didn't want to spend any more on my new bike than what I got for my old bike. My KX probably had less than 20 hrs. ride time on it and had a new top end. It was in excellent shape and pretty well taken care of by the previous owners.

The main reason I bought the bike was because I thought that the suspension had been re-done. The guy I bought it from said that the guy he bought it from said it had been re-done. Well I got bitten by that one b/c it hadn't been touched. My fault for not asking for papers on that.

Karl

I'm going to agree with Karl. I have had 2 KX250's for woods riding, as well as a KDX220 and a big bore KX125. The KDX in stock form is a better woods bike, and is an easier bike to ride. The KX is TERRIBLE in the woods until you get the suspension revalved and resprung. The KX motor, depending on the year can be a handful also. The way the motor makes power takes a steady hand and some experience to master in tight situations.

The KX is ALOT of fun, but takes a little more talent to handle, and it will tend to wear you down faster. The KDX is a very good trail bike, but you may get bored with it over time. There are alot of mods to solve that problem though!! Exhaust carbs, reeds, porting,etc. You can even do like EBeck did and transplant a KDX motor into a KX125 chassis to get the best of both worlds!!:applause:

Dave

Some helpful info here..I'm about to pick up a 99 KX250, it'll be used primarly for trail riding, as my OLD bones and back can't the high flyin antic's..Plus I have a Husky Supermoto for taking my aggression out..:applause:

Thanks..:applause:

I had a KX250 and a kdx220 at the same time. The KX had a flywheel weight added, a torque pipe, reeds, and the suspension reworked for off-road. The KDX had the front suspension reworked (gold valves, heavier spring), reeds, a rev pipe, etc.

Both worked well for the woods. The KX could be raced off-road and was much more competitive in that regard. The KDX was superior for really technical, tight stuff - and simply more fun to ride.

i ssem to be reading about a lot of people who have converted a yz250 onto a woods bike would that be a better bike to use in the woods or are thoose people just hardcore yamaha fans

The KX is TERRIBLE in the woods until you get the suspension revalved and resprung. The KX motor, depending on the year can be a handful also. The way the motor makes power takes a steady hand and some experience to master in tight situations.

The KX is ALOT of fun, but takes a little more talent to handle, and it will tend to wear you down faster.

Dave

What I quoted of Dave is 110% accurate of what I've experienced with my KX. If you're tired and going over bumps or whoops, even a small roll of the throttle will get the motor into the power band and can get you into trouble. Stock, it's not a forgiving bike but you give that up for a great increase of power.

Karl

i ssem to be reading about a lot of people who have converted a yz250 onto a woods bike would that be a better bike to use in the woods or are thoose people just hardcore yamaha fans

It may be true that they are hard core Yamaha fans but it may also be true that the Yami is easier to convert to woods riding. A friend of mine had a 2003 YZ250 set up for woods riding and it was a great bike.

I believe that in the four stroke category, you can tame down a YZF400 by changing either the intake or exhaust cam (or both). Then the motor basically becomes a WR.

Karl

I have owned about 40 bikes and my 99 KDX220 has been the overall most fun I have ever owned. It has a lot of goodies on it but has been owned since new, raced once (hard) and gets generally abused in the high and low deserts of socal often. I have ridden it in the woods a couple of times and also is excellent. Light and very forgiving.

Although I have never owned a KX (KXT and KLX-yes) you would probably have to do more to the Kx to get it in woods condition. The suspensions are harsh and the motor less tourqey.

I keep threatening to sell it and move up to a 450 but it still brings me a smile everytime I ride it.

My $.02.

Just don't take your KX250 through any deep water crossings.

The Bottom of the Airbox has holes in it :&%$#@! I sucked water into my motor in water that wasn't much deeper than the Hubs on the wheels.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've waited till I could find a KTM 250EXC or 300EXC. Used KDX bikes seemed overpriced. I mean my KX was a beauty when I got, but for the same money A KDX in similar condition woulda cost $300-400 more than I paid for the KX. The only downside I see to the KDX is the old style suspension.

I have a kx250. I had a wr250f.

It is a harsher ride on the kx in the woods, but its fun and you never lack the power.

At the end i end up with a bigger smile on my kx250 than on an offroad bike like the wr.

BTW since i ride with the kx at the SX track i ride it stock. I dont even bother moving the clicks of the suspension at all.

I would love a ktm 200 xcw for tight trails... but its too expensive, and its hard to find a used one.

Besides it would be too specific.

On my kx250 i can ride tight trails, WFO offroad, and sx track.

the kdx i think is one of the best ways a guy could go. they cost less than the kx's and you would spend less to get it in amazing riding condition (reeds and pipe). both bikes are pretty much opposite with the suspension. with a kdx you would have to stiffen up the shocks and with the kx you would need to soften them. plus with the extra you would pay for a good kx, you could find a nice pair of newer kx upside-down forks that would be twice as good as stock kdx forks.

on the yamaha side, i heard the older wr 250 2 strokes they made for a few years are good bikes if you can pick them up:excuseme:

The King of those bikes was the RMX250 that Suzuki made. Man that was a bike. Get it if you can.

The King of those bikes was the RMX250 that Suzuki made. Man that was a bike. Get it if you can.

I read some "reviews" of this bike that said it wasn't that great. Something about the handling and limited handlebar movement. I might have read it on this site (link from an article or something).

Yamaha made a WR250 2stroke before the WR400, you NEVER see 'em for sale though.

Nah not so. That bike was so much better than the KDX it was not even funny.

p=1157668&postcount=35'>http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showpost.php?

p=1157668&postcount=35

Rmx's had more potential, but stock they were pigs. I owned (raced) a KDX and was able to ride a friend's RMX and believe it or not, the 200 was a stronger motor stock (I can't remember what year the RMX was, but it was new at the time) and the KDX was quicker handling in technical stuff. THe RMX was no clear-cut winner for the average joe IMO.

Guys who raced them usually put RM parts on them to soup them up.