Sign in to follow this  

How many miles on your chain before replace?

Hey Gents, just wondering the opinions with you on mileage and chains. o or x-ring, 520 preferred. breakage mileage, or just when you feel it's safe to replace regaurdless of brand or rule of thumb with the whole tug on the sprocket-3 0'clock-three quarters up the tooth thing. Any advice?

Chains last from 2,000 miles if abused and or cheap to 15,000+. Look at a tooth of the rear sprocket. Is it even on both sides or is it beginning or does have a more 'hook' like appearence? If t the sprocket looks 'hooked, time for a chain and sprockets.

There are measurements you can do to the stock chain (may or may not apply to aftermarket ones). Mark a pin with a wax crayon. Count 21 one pins and mark it. From the center of the first pin to the 21st is supposed to be 319.3mm (12.57") at most. So if the distance is greater, probably time for new chain and sprockets. You always change all three components for maximum life.

My stock chain and sprockets were toast at 4000 miles.

Replaced with D.I.D "X" ring chain and new steel sprockets (15-42) and they were still going strong at 20,000 miles (only adjusted twice).

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

Replaced the RK OEM Chain at 9500 miles. Started wheeli-ing at 7500 and it stretched it out quite a bit. I replaced it with an RK x-ring... we'll see, but the prognosis isnt looking good. The rougher you treat the bike, the faster the chain will stretch. I'm hoping the current stretch is some type of "break-in" stretch.

RK chains are crap in my opinion. They seem to stretch way too much. I have had good results with D.I.D chains and JT steel sprockets. Don't worry about the rear sprocket, make sure the front is not "hooking" too much.The rear will outlast the front by a wide margin. Once the front is toast, time for a new set of sprockets and a chain. D.I.D x-ring has worked well for me.:applause: vanram

RK chains are crap in my opinion. They seem to stretch way too much. I have had good results with D.I.D chains and JT steel sprockets. Don't worry about the rear sprocket, make sure the front is not "hooking" too much.The rear will outlast the front by a wide margin. Once the front is toast, time for a new set of sprockets and a chain. D.I.D x-ring has worked well for me.:applause: vanram

actually..... once the 'hooking' process has started, it tends to wear the the chain 'funny', which in turns tends to wear the other sprocket to match. If you replace just the cs sprocket and the chain, you will be replacing the cs sprocket and the chain again sooner than had you replaced all the components in the driveline.

i had to replace my stock chain and sprockets at 10k miles, the snail adjusters were all the way out and my rear sprocket had some broken teeth. i have about 2500 mi on my sidewinders and have only had to adjust the chain once!!!

Once the front is toast, time for a new set of sprockets and a chain.

WOW, I'd be buying a new chain and sprockets every 1000km... I have a Chain Gang rear(47) which is now about 3000km old with no signs of wear, have replaced the front 3 times since buying the rear, chain purchased at same time as rear is in perfect condition. I use JT steel front(15t) and the DRZ eats them for breakfast.

D.I.D "X" ring chain and new steel sprockets (15-42) and they were still going strong at 20,000 miles (only adjusted twice).

Best chain I have ever used, and it was not treated gently !!!!!!

Cleaned regularly (every 600 miles, 300 miles in winter) and lubed.

I used Putoline chain lube, can't remember what it was called, but they only do two, and it was not the ceramic wax.

WOW!! Sounds like a good chain!

You will not be disappointed.

Neil. :applause: :applause: :lol:

You are getting only 1000Km out of your front sprocket!!!! Something is not right.

Seems I'm not the only one, have 2 mates I ride with, both with DRZ's and they fare the same. Even had the bike shop take a look at the rear wheel alignment (Rear sprocket/countershaft sprocket trueness)... All good but still the problem persists... No wear on the countershaft sprocket sides, just shark-toothing and I change them as soon as I notice slight deformation.

I ride a lot of shale and rock so I put it down to continuous shock loading.

Shock loading should not cause a properly made sprocket to wear. If the metal was soft, ie. a non hardened steel or aluminum (which I am sure it is not!) then the shock loading would cause there to be a slight 'mushrooming' on the side of the tooth, which in turn would maybe be worn away by the side plates of the chain. Take a look at the INSIDE of the chain side plates.

Normally, the CS sprocket is made from a hardened steel and the rear is not hardened or aluminum. Maybe you should consider s different brand of CS sprocket.

actually..... once the 'hooking' process has started, it tends to wear the the chain 'funny', which in turns tends to wear the other sprocket to match. If you replace just the cs sprocket and the chain, you will be replacing the cs sprocket and the chain again sooner than had you replaced all the components in the driveline.
William, the front sprocket will hook twice as fast as the rear with no problems with alignment as you suggest. The front sprocket can be changed out when it starts to hook with no problems to the rest of the driveline. How does a chain wear funny? When the chain stretches/wears it will hook the sprockets, the front in particular, because of the higher load per tooth. I never said to replace the chain and front sprocket and leave the back. I have 2 sets of wheels and I have never had a problem changing sprockets that are in reasonable condition with a chain that is not stretched beyond the tolerance.:applause: vanram

rear sprocket had some broken teeth.
Oh, that's a good sign that it's time for a new rear sprocket! :applause:

There are measurements you can do to the stock chain (may or may not apply to aftermarket ones). Mark a pin with a wax crayon. Count 21 one pins and mark it. From the center of the first pin to the 21st is supposed to be 319.3mm (12.57") at most. So if the distance is greater, probably time for new chain and sprockets. You always change all three components for maximum life.

I had 9000miles on my stock 05' chain i had removed 4 links to absorb the slack! my measurement came in at just shy of 13". Totally Spent Chain:eek: