Sign in to follow this  

610/450... Differences?!

This may sound like a dumb question, but I am very curious why anyone would prefer a 610 over a 450.

What I know:

610:

320+ pounds

55ish horsepower

different gear spacing

450:

45-50 horsepower

270ish pounds?

My questions:

~why would anyone live with so much more weight just to get a little more power?

~Am I wrong about the approximate power of these suckers? I know that, uncorked, both models can generate a bit more than the numbers I listed.

~Is it true that the new KXF 450 ('07) is almost 60 rwhp?

These are real n00b questions, but the only way to know the answers is to ask.

If anyone feels like havin' a go at these, I'd appreciate it.

The 610 is WAY more comfortable on the road, the 450 is way more comfortable on the dirt. The 610 is 50/50, the 450/510 are 98/2, ok maybe 97/3 dirt/street.

Very different intended uses. My 450 has far more power than I have skill to use.

Apples and oranges...... TE610 is a true dual sport that you can ride at 75mph down a road and then take it in woods. Would you want to race it? I doubt it, but I've ridden my TE610E(which is the older version) on beat up hare scrambles trails right after 250+ bikes did 5 laps on it. It got the job done and we went back for a second lap, but I was wishing I was on my WR250 2 stroke or TE400 the whole time. The TE450 is a race bike you can put a license plate on. I would use it to link trail sections and run into town for gas, but I wouldn't want to ride a TE450 100 miles on the road to do a trail loop. I would do it on a TE610 and have done it on my TE610E.

Norman

thanks!

is there a big difference in horsepower as well?

I've read a lot about both bikes, but not a lot of comparisons, so all the info you want to dish-out, my mind will soak up.

thanks!

I've read a lot about both bikes, but not a lot of comparisons, so all the info you want to dish-out, my mind will soak up.

Its not so much the total amount of horsepower, its the torque curve. The 610 has a broader spread of power and pulls very well from down low but does not rev out like the 450. The 450 makes good power but the engine needs some revs to get going. The 450 engine is in a higher state of tune and needs more frequent oil changes and valve checks.

I have a SM610 and a SM450R. I use the 610 for longer rides and the 450 for the twisty roads near my home. Both are fun bikes.

thanks!

Don't focus on HP, not relevant IMO. Check the bore x stroke and cams, you'll start to get the picture. Suspension is way different. 610 is way more comfortable.

Very different intended uses. My 450 has far more power than I have skill to use.
en

Amen!!!

I use my bike on the street for play and transportation so here are my reasons for buying a 610 over a 450/510:

1: Ignition key - I leave the bike unattended at places other than my house. Even at 300+ lbs. this isn't going to stop someone from carrying it away.

2: Larger gas tank - I want to ride and not worry about having to find fuel in order to get home. I can easily go over 100 miles on a tank even with some quality flogging.

3: Low fuel light - Due to not being worried about running out of fuel with the larger tank the bike needs to remind me that I can't ride forever on 3 gallons.

4: Larger oil capacity - I enjoy working on my bike but I would rather spend more time riding and less time doing maintenance.

5: Screw and lock nut valve adjustment - again, less time required for maintenance.

6: Cooling fan - I get stuck in traffic sometimes.

7: "Better" headlight - I ride at night.

8: Heat shield on exhaust - I wear textile riding gear and don't want to melt it.

9: Rear rack - I have a small tail bag mounted at all times - it makes the bike much more useful and ugly.

The 610's limits are higher than my abilities so the more laid-back nature of the 610 works for me.

thanks for all the info, guys! After hearing all your comments, I am starting to see more of the real differences. What's great is that all your info is confirmation that I made the right choice for my needs. Being a tall guy, I like a big bike. Range is definitely important. Also- I like to be able to go fast on the road. not just be able to push 60, but really "go fast."

I love the valve-adjustment setup.

But again... just out of pure curiosity, for the sake of talking, what is the horsepower difference between a modern ('04-'07 vintage) 450 and 610?

*I know the differences between the 510 and 450 and all that good stuff*

Depending on the setup, a 610 will have about 5 more hp than a 450. More important is the torque. The 610 will have a bit more torque spread over a broader rpm range. Unfortunately, I don't have the numbers for the difference in torque ft pounds.

thanks. Wow- that really isn't much more power at all. Still- I can imagine how big a role the displacement plays in the increased torque factor. Also- I bet a 570 engine has more potential horsepower if suped-up to the limits.

Hi there !

You can't really compare the two. It really does depend on what you want to use it for. If you're primarily a dirt rider who ventures out on the street, get the 450. If you plan on dual sporting and riding a lot of street, get the 610. I have a 610 and it is by far the best 600 dual sport out there. Equipment, weight, handling, no vibration and suspension are it's strong points. It is a very capable off roader but it is tall and long. I would not want to wrestle it in tight single track. It's horsepower is irrelevant in comparison to it's torque. It has monster torque !!! This will let you pull taller gears and save the engine and gas. It will cruise at 70 mph effortlessly and it has a 100 mph + top end stock ! I had an LC4 625 KTM and the Husky would spank it hands down and doesn't vibrate even a 1/4 as much ! I bought it to commute and dual sport on and it is perfect for that. I have had some issues with mine but nothing really major. It's imperative that you have a good dealer to work with as there seems to be quite a bit of blowing customers off if the bike wasn't bought there.

Good Luck !

STS.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but I'll answer with a picture and just say - I like to go places.

p484878310-4.jpg

p773838278-4.jpg

Man, great pics. Looks like professional photographs, lighting appeared to be great. Husky could use some of those in mktg materials. I'd have to get the big tank with the distances you guys can ride out west.