can i redo my own front suspension?

Yes, you CAN do it... But you need special tools.

If you feel like undertaking this process, make sure you have the Honda Service manual. Look through the section, and buy the special tools.

You might be thinking that you can make your own tool to get the tubes apart. Yes, you probabably could, but its probably not worth it. To get to the valving you need the special tool that goes down inside the fork tube so you can separate the tubes. This process is pretty involved.

To replace the springs and valve oil is easy; you pretty much just take off the caps to the forks, and your able to pull the springs right off. Make sure you follow the manual, though. This process isn't too involved.

As for the short answer, you can easily do the spring replacement yourself. Valving and seal replacement you should send to the stealer, unless you plan on doing this a lot or on a regular basis, then it would be worth it to spend the money to buy the tools.

Normally the only "special" tool needed is an air operated impact wrench. You need that to get the bolt out that holds the cartridge in. Without the impact wrench you may need a specal tool to hold the cratridge from the top so you can unscrew the bolt. The tool stops the cartridge from just turning.

Definitely get the Honda manual. Since the last change was made in 92 any manual from 92 on is fine. I got mine on ebay for about $20.

No, there is in fact a special tool that goes down inside the forks oven the dampening rod. Its like a long pipe that has a hollow hex head on it that goes inside what looks like an allen cap-type thing inside the fork tube.

I know this cause when I went to replace my seals last year, I couldn't do it because of this special tool that I needed. The manual even shows the tool, and the number of it. Trust me, there IS a special tool needed on this.

No, there is in fact a special tool that goes down inside the forks oven the dampening rod. Its like a long pipe that has a hollow hex head on it that goes inside what looks like an allen cap-type thing inside the fork tube.

I know this cause when I went to replace my seals last year, I couldn't do it because of this special tool that I needed. The manual even shows the tool, and the number of it. Trust me, there IS a special tool needed on this.

The only special tool I can think of is the seal driver, but even that is not necessary with a piece of PVC pipe cut in half or a flat blade screwdriver. Can you post a photo of the tool you are talking about?

One thing to remember, when putting new seals on use electrical tape over where the bushing sits so that when you slide the seal down you don’t nick it on the edges.

Just did a spring swap, complete fork cleaning and fluid replacement on my BRP last night. Took about three hours once I had the tools on hand. Besides normal hand tools, a special hollow 27mm hex head tool is required. I made a tool using steel water pipe from a local Ace Hardware. Just so happens that a commonly available pipe bushing adapter has an exterior 27mm hex. Used JB Weld epoxy to secure the pipe joints. If using epoxy rather than welding, the tool will have to be made at least the night before use.

Also needed is a 14mm allen wrench for the bottom bolt. Supposedly this can be fabricated from a 9/16 hex head bolt but I did not like the fit. Better to source a 14mm allen wrench. Best solution is to source a 14mm allen socket...or cut of a piece of the 14mm allen wrench to insert into a 14mm socket. Allows easier use of a torque wrench to assemble per service manual values.

There are several links online showing pics and details. Here's a couple to get you started...

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com/xr650r_forks.htm

http://www.xr650r.us/forktool/

Only correction I noted is the required clearance for the hollow tube special tool is slightly over 3/4"...not 1/2" as is stated in some online procedures.

May post a parts list and pics of the "special" tool I made if enough interest...

Just did a spring swap, complete fork cleaning and fluid replacement on my BRP last night. Took about three hours once I had the tools on hand. Besides normal hand tools, a special hollow 27mm hex head tool is required. I made a tool using steel water pipe from a local Ace Hardware. Just so happens that a commonly available pipe bushing adapter has an exterior 27mm hex. Used JB Weld epoxy to secure the pipe joints. If using epoxy rather than welding, the tool will have to be made at least the night before use.

Also needed is a 14mm allen wrench for the bottom bolt. Supposedly this can be fabricated from a 9/16 hex head bolt but I did not like the fit. Better to source a 14mm allen wrench. Best solution is to source a 14mm allen socket...or cut of a piece of the 14mm allen wrench to insert into a 14mm socket. Allows easier use of a torque wrench to assemble per service manual values.

There are several links online showing pics and details. Here's a couple to get you started...

http://www.xr650r.borynack.com/xr650r_forks.htm

http://www.xr650r.us/forktool/

Only correction I noted is the required clearance for the hollow tube special tool is slightly over 3/4"...not 1/2" as is stated in some online procedures.

May post a parts list and pics of the "special" tool I made if enough interest...

This would be the tool. What I found works also, is we had an old spark plug socket lying around that had the hex fitting around the outside. I wished I had thought about going to a hardware store to try to make something work, because the stealer is a rip-off.