Sign in to follow this  

wrong decision?

I have been thinking alot about it and i belive i may have made a wrong decision..I recently bought a 250f thinking i would be faster on it than a 450f...however i dont feel as if i am faster on the 250f than a 250 2stroke like i thought i would be...maybe its just cause im riding it like a 2 stroke?

Ya you probably did mess up. You bought a slower bike. I don't know what else to say, a 250f has 4 stroke handling characteristics and less power than the 250 2 stroke. So ya you probably are riding slower.

Well I'm no pro or anything but I do own both (450f and 250t). Here is what I notice, to be faster on a 4 stroke it seems to like more of car racing turns where you cut the apex. Instead of charging in hard and sliding through the corner like on a 2 stroke, try to go smooth through the corner and stay on the throttle slightly, dont let off all the way. It seems if you let off in the corners the 4 strokes seem to just push the front end, (well mine anyways) they just prefer a smoother line that you can carry more speed through and put the power down. Ya you do have to change your style, try riding up on the tank or a lot more forward than you are now, it helps a lot. This all could just be some b.s. but its just what i've noticed. I dont race or anything and I prefer the slide in and dump the clutch and slide out sideways action the 2 stroke does best. It may not be faster, but to me its more fun.

i dont feel as if i am faster on the 250f than a 250 2stroke like i thought i would be

I know it depends on a lot of things but if you are racing mx have you checked your lap times? The key word here is "feel", it can be very deceptive

yeah yor prolly right maybe i just need to get used to it...........ive only ridden it 8 or 9 times and its pretty much only in the sand

Well I'm no pro or anything but I do own both (450f and 250t). Here is what I notice, to be faster on a 4 stroke it seems to like more of car racing turns where you cut the apex. Instead of charging in hard and sliding through the corner like on a 2 stroke, try to go smooth through the corner and stay on the throttle slightly, dont let off all the way. It seems if you let off in the corners the 4 strokes seem to just push the front end, (well mine anyways) they just prefer a smoother line that you can carry more speed through and put the power down. Ya you do have to change your style, try riding up on the tank or a lot more forward than you are now, it helps a lot. This all could just be some b.s. but its just what i've noticed. I dont race or anything and I prefer the slide in and dump the clutch and slide out sideways action the 2 stroke does best. It may not be faster, but to me its more fun.

Regarding how the 4-strokes turn, Are you on a YZF? I just came off of a yzf and I can say that the bike didn't like to turn. It did push if you weren't on the gas. Especially in sand. You get used to it.

I'm on an 07 rmz 450 now and it turns much like my older two strokes. I've found my riding style migrating back to 2-stroke turns as you described. See what your lap times really are and use that to gauge your performance.

Im on an 05 CRF....never owned a honda..............always liked the suzukis, but supposedly the first couple of years they made the RMZ it was more like a kawi than a zuk..........

Regarding how the 4-strokes turn, Are you on a YZF? I just came off of a yzf and I can say that the bike didn't like to turn. It did push if you weren't on the gas. Especially in sand. You get used to it.

I'm on an 07 rmz 450 now and it turns much like my older two strokes. I've found my riding style migrating back to 2-stroke turns as you described. See what your lap times really are and use that to gauge your performance.

Ya man its a 04 yz450f. It likes to push when you let off the gas, but the front end doesn't slide out from underneath you. You just pin it and it hooks up and goes.