Sign in to follow this  

Go Berg or go home?

I've owned quite a few Husky's, and still have one (old XC430), and now I'm in need of another 4T!

My friend bought a '00 Berg FC501 6 spd non-E last year, but soon realized he was older and wanted the E button, so he picked up a new 2007 KTM 450 this last week.

He's offered the Berg to me at a great price, and the Berg is in great mechanical and cosmetic condition. HOWEVER, I'm also throwing around the notion of a 'new '06 FE550E or possibly another Husky, either a 570/610 or a newer 4T. I'm completely open to ideas.

Of course, there is a huge price gap from his used '00 to a new bike.

I'm concerned about the price tag of a new Berg, or even a Husky for that matter. I'm going to eat it HUGE on resale when I sell this bike, so I'm wondering if really there is that MUCH difference between these bikes, more so the earlier Berg and the later year Berg.

I've read very positive remarks about the 2000 year Bergs, notably the 501, and it was this reason I even told my friend to buy it originally.

Just want your guy's take on it before I go and throw some money around...

Thanks!

OOHHH Man that would be a tough one, I own an 04 Fe550 love it to death, But I rode an 00 Fe501 and I instantly fell in love. If I had had the extra dough that bike would have been sitting next to the 04, and probably ridden more than the 04, just because it would be easier to handle in the woods. If the bike is in good shape, you could spend a fraction of the cost of a new bike, spend a little more to update the parts that need it and you will have one helluva bike. Many will say the the 00 501 is THE bike to have.

strictly based on bang for the buck, My vote is for the 00.

risky... thanks for the great feedback, especially considering you own a 550 and have ridden a 00 501 to understand what I'm up against.

I rode it this past weekend out in Mojave and was impressed with it's tractor like abilities and watched it easily take my old 410 that his son now has. Not too many bikes, if any, have beat that 410. He was humbled. The 501 was truly a remarkable ride, but I didn't get a chance to exercise all of its abilities or any potential inabilities.

I believe it has a lot of the updates, but I will need to research the $ amount associated with getting it completely up to speed, I take it on husaberg.org.

The 06 FE550 is around 6.5k + fees (if I wait longer I'm sure it will drop more)....the '00 berg I can have for in the 2k range..

He's got the 00 dialed in nicely... starts up in 1 to 2 kicks... and his son did a 50 mile loop on it out in the Calico Mountain range of Mojave with ZERO issue this weekend.

I'm also pondering the Huskys again, since they seem a little easier to sell, but I don't think I'd have too much trouble selling a 2000 year Berg to be honest.

Lots to consider of course, thanks again.

By the way, are you aware of the differences between these bikes?

Differences? Like power delivery characteristics or mechanical? all I know is the 2000 motors are solid, and favored by many. They need some updated parts in the top end but I can't quote what or when. You need to ask on Husaberg.org. There are many more guys there who are infinitely more knowledgeable about the bikes than me. Someone may come along here sooner or later. or you can contact BOSS at husaberg headquarters or Dan the Man @ motoxotica for parts. Just remember that these guys are BUSY!

Yeah, was looking for a little bit of everything, all things that are different?

I was reading on husaberg.org, hundreds of threads and posts, and I foudn mention of some bearing failures, etc on these motors. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people love this engine, but there still seemed to be issues, and they were in the bottom end.

I think the top end was some cam chain guides or something?

I'll keep reading.

I know that the parts etc that my buddy has bought for this bike all came from Dan....and so I'm sure there were discussions going back and forth as to what he needs to know. Maybe I'll ask my friend before I go and bug Dan.

The Husky 570/610 engine seems more desirable after I read about bottom end failures. I just hate the idea of having an engine go on me. I like solid reliability. To me, overly maintaining a bike should make the engine last, but bearing or any other type failure with perfect maintenance makes me nervous. There were also mention of 550 engine failures, 04 and up. :applause:

Gosh, I love these Bergs, I'm just scared to death of the potential of failure. I know all bikes have this, but some are more prone to problems than others.

Can I have a bulletproof Berg? Not sure.

Just a thought. I also ride the Mojave desert. The new bergs are more reliable. It suck walking in riding boots.

Yeah, was looking for a little bit of everything, all things that are different?

I was reading on husaberg.org, hundreds of threads and posts, and I foudn mention of some bearing failures, etc on these motors. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people love this engine, but there still seemed to be issues, and they were in the bottom end.

I think the top end was some cam chain guides or something?

I'll keep reading.

I know that the parts etc that my buddy has bought for this bike all came from Dan....and so I'm sure there were discussions going back and forth as to what he needs to know. Maybe I'll ask my friend before I go and bug Dan.

The Husky 570/610 engine seems more desirable after I read about bottom end failures. I just hate the idea of having an engine go on me. I like solid reliability. To me, overly maintaining a bike should make the engine last, but bearing or any other type failure with perfect maintenance makes me nervous. There were also mention of 550 engine failures, 04 and up. :applause:

Gosh, I love these Bergs, I'm just scared to death of the potential of failure. I know all bikes have this, but some are more prone to problems than others.

Can I have a bulletproof Berg? Not sure.

Realtivly speaking, Yes you can. Newer Bergs are just as bullet proof as any other comparable bike. The issue is finding a bike to compare a berg to...:applause:

I look at it like this, If money is an object and having the SEM and dellorto carb are not an issue (the SEM's are becomeing less of an issue now because there is a guy rebuilding them for many bergites and they are said to be better than new) - IF THE 00 IS IN GOOD SHAPE, and If you can get your buddy to sell it to you for the market value - with the money you would save buying that 501 you could make sure that 501 was just as reliable, if not more so, as a new berg and still be thousands ahead. There are some minor egonomic changes to the newer bikes that you might want to consider. But if you get that 00 for a couple grand, and spend a 1.5-2k tearing it down and rebuilding with updated parts including the bottom end and throw some new plastices and tank on it, you would have a bike easily comparable to a new bike, and pocket around 3k...

If money is no object, you can always buy a newer one and throw the 496(? I think) kit in it and have darn near close to a 501. sadly they don't make a 04 and newer 501 (that you can't get in the states anyway.

You really can't go wrong with desicion to buy a newer berg though. But man I would love to have an 00 FE 501 as a spare.

If you like this bike so much and are willing to make some investment in the motor you should really be talking with Dale Lineaweaver (his contact is info can easily be found on UHE).

If you decide to send your motor to him, what you get back will be superior to the modern Bergs (save for the SEM :applause: ), at least IMO. Remember, the KTM EXC motors are for the most part pre 2001 Berg design.

Thanks for the ideas guys...

Money is an object in a since I want it to be a worthy investment.

I just got word that somewhere along the lines of riding the 00 Berg this past weekend, the headgasket went. The current owner, my friend's dad, will be tearing it down to get it repaired and try to find out what happened.

Kinda upsetting to hear, but I guess this goes with the territory.

I would prefer not to spend 2k, then spend another 1 to 2k to get the 00 501 to top notch. At that rate, I would much rather have the 02 TE570, which can be fethced for 2.5-3k, because it's solid and would do what I need it to do.

Right now, I'm looking at one other bike since they're going at an affordable price new, the 2006 TC450. The price tag of the 06 WR250's also caught my eye under 5k at GP, but I want to stay with a 4T since I have that old XC 430sitting in the garage.

I'm waiting on the dealership to get back to me on all the details. I went down to GP today to check things out, but I don't think they can touch the price that Malcolm has them for...and I did not want to insult Isaac with a price at GP so I kept silent as I browsed the price tags. :applause:

We'll see where this takes me......

Picked up a new 06 TC450 y-day since I couldn't turn down the price.... I have all kinds of q's...so I better start reading.

Thanks again for the help guys...

If your friend is still interested, What is the contact number for your buddy selling the 00 501. it is tax refund time....

Just an update to this thread. The 00 Berg that weekend did not fail from a blown headgasket. In fact, it never failed, but once they got it home realized there was a small leak.... water pump area I believe...

It looks like the waterpump gasket had went from what my friend mentioned....

I'm trying to figure a way of going in on half for this bike with my buddy, since it's his dad's spare bike now.

Like you guys said, the 00 501 is one of those bikes to have....

hi there! I own a 2004 FS650 SM and believe that the older ones would have quite a lot of reliability prblems... if you consider buying a new one, have in mind TMs too, i test rode the 2006 models of both TM 660 SMX and BERGS FS 650 SM and loved the TM much much more in every impact. Powr delivery, solid power, handling,looks,everything! And oh, the looks... My ferrari of dirt-SM bikes!!! i m currently truing to sell the berg to buy it. hope helped you just have in mind i own a XR 650R SM to do the most of my km and my berg just for my pleasure, boy these bikes are very expensive to have if you ride a lot.

TM's are something I will likely try in the distant future, but I still need to explore the rest of my love for Swedish design, the Bergs..... thanks for your input...

I don't ride much, maybe 5-15 hours per each of my bikes per year....not much at all.

Being one of the early Berg owners (92 499, 96 400, 96 501, 98 501, 00 501) I feel qualified to say that I'm not sure that anything would need done to a well maintained low hours 00 Berg. 95 to 00 models are very reliable. 92 was a train wreck. Lost track of the 96 400 and the 98 501, but the 00 and 96 are in the hands of friends and both still continue to run trouble free.

dan

DanSh..... appreciate the qualified feedback.... He's going through some of the top end now. New water pump, new cam, new cam chain, new cam tensioner, and new gaskets.. and I think I have mentioned to do the valve springs too...

He said the cam was fairly pitted...

Should be awesome once he has it back together. I'll be riding it around on his property at the end of this month. Should be great times....

I'm on a mission now to see if I can pick up a leftover 05 FE550e... it just seems to perfect of a bike for me.

2010 husaberg 570, awesome bike,,,WHEN IT RUNS,,, it get's hot and shuts down,,, takes 10 min and starts, but once it's hot, it needs 30/40 to cool down

husaberg.org, allot of people love the bike, but only when it runs, when you are sitting on the trail and it quit,,,, you wonder if to much technology is not good

2010 husaberg 570, awesome bike,,,WHEN IT RUNS,,, it get's hot and shuts down,,, takes 10 min and starts, but once it's hot, it needs 30/40 to cool down

husaberg.org, allot of people love the bike, but only when it runs, when you are sitting on the trail and it quit,,,, you wonder if to much technology is not good

I ride with several guys with the new Bergs and have ridden them extensively myself and have never seen this issue. I would for sure look at the temp senor, as they fail quite a bit and would cause that issue. $10 part.

Good info. I was looking at the FX450 2010 leftovers going at super low prices, but seriously mixed reviews and the bike doesn't seem to do anything great, just good in areas, and it's relatively heavier for what it is. I'm going to pass.

PS: The 00 501 is back to all of its glory obviously, including tons of cosmetic updates. His dad ended up just giving it to him, so it's still in the family. It gets ridden very little, mostly a garage queen, but should be getting out to Mojave CA here in the coming riding season.