Sign in to follow this  

2003 450 EXC Suspension Questions

I have a new to me '03 450 EXC and the suspension is very harsh. My '02 300 EXC rides much smoother and I've never touched a thing on it.

I can't find my suspension manual for my 450. Can anybody tell me the basics as far as fluid weight, fulid amount, spring rates, preload, and clicker settings so I can get a baseline. Also if anybody has any help to get a 225#er ready for his first enduro that would be great too. Thanks a bunch.

Catfish

www.FarkleMasters.com

AMA Lifer

I have / had a 2003 450 EXC and last year I sent my forks to these guys, in Upstate New York, for a revalve and Synergy Seals:

http://www.suspensionsystems.net

I should have done this back in 2003!!! :applause:

Worth every penny! My forks were so much plusher than stock after this. I couldn't even feel the smaller trail obstacles after they performed their magic.

Do it. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

If I had more time I would definitely consider it.

I'm just going to change the oil and go with the next lightest and then set the bike up to the stoct set-up and see how it is.

Then I'll tune from there.

Thanks though.

It is easy to revalve KTM forks. Use honda (black bottle) fork oil 125 mm from the top with the forks bottomed. If you want the valve specs, respond.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. To get the fluid to 125mm from the top about how many cc's of fluid go into each fork leg?

Thanks.

Remove the front wheel. Loosen the top triple clamp bolts. Loosen the fork caps. Remove the forks. Turn upside down and remove the compression adjuster. Empty oil. If you want to revalve the base valve PM me. Seat eth rebound adjusters (clockwise). Remove the for cap. Using a thinned down 24mm wrench, remove the fork cap from the rod. remove eht spring. Install the comp adjuster. Fill with oil (see above). Pump rod to bleed. With rod pushed all the way down (bottomed out), set the oil level to 125mm from the top of the tube. Install the spring. Install the cap on teh rod. Install the cap. Return rebound to original setting (should be 18 -22). Install fork and wheel. It took almost as long to write this as to do it. Revalving the base valve will make a huge difference. You can change the valving in a few minutes by flipping the bike upside down and soing one side at a time.