Sign in to follow this  

Cougar in the Trask

My hunting buddies and I are always arguing on the # of cougar in the trask mountains. Ive been hunting, riding, and camping this area for over 20yrs, and still have no cougar sightings. I wanna hear stories or see pictures of what any of you have seen. Tell me your opinion or fact of cougar population in these mountains. Thanks.

A buddy of mine was Elk hunting & saw one. S. of TSF. He was using his calf call. :applause:

Well im going to assume that im right, there arent to many cougar in the Tillamook state forest. 41 views with 1 hunting sighting. I know these things are very sneaky, but you would think that you would see 1 eventually.

They are there, and so are bears but good luck ever seeing one. I have been riding the TSF for 30 years and have not seen ether. Lot's of bob cats though.

I can tell you there ARE cougars in the Silver Falls State Park, one killed a deer in the main camp area. We live next to there and have seen cougars several times. We have four dogs that go with us whenever we are on foot. Don't know what the dogs would do, but we feel safer!

In the People's Republic of Washington State there are estimated to be 30,000 black bears and 3,000 Cougars. There are places I can go if I want to see bears and have done so with almost a 100% success rate. I have seen one Cougar in that time. That makes sense if you consider there are ten times as many bears.

Also keep in mind that most of the time a bear is moving around it is going from berry patch to berry patch. That doesn't require a stealthy approach which is one reason why bears are relatively easy to spot. Cougars on the other hand have to kill their meals so they are always in stalking-stealth mode. Combine that with their low numbers and it makes sense why they are so hard to spot, even in an area where they are known to be.

Greg

I can assure you that them thar hills have cougars. I can attest that they are reproducing also. Have seen them many times just west of McMinnville. They are amazing creatures. You have no concept of how big and fast they are until you have been near them. Within the last 6 mos I saw a momma and two cubs within a mile of McMinnville on SW Peavine Road.

I can agree to their existence even though I have not seen one (I have seen tracks in the snow on trails). Beside the fact that they are a stealth predator, they are also solitary. Males will kill other males and cubs, so females with cubs and yearlings will always be under cover. The typical home range of a male is over 60 square miles.

So, big home range+solitary+stealthy=noseeum

BTW, we saw over 40 elk on Monday out there, so there's food on the table for Felis concolor.

I can agree to their existence even though I have not seen one (I have seen tracks in the snow on trails). Beside the fact that they are a stealth predator, they are also solitary. Males will kill other males and cubs, so females with cubs and yearlings will always be under cover. The typical home range of a male is over 60 square miles.

So, big home range+solitary+stealthy=noseeum

BTW, we saw over 40 elk on Monday out there, so there's food on the table for Felis concolor.

I have spent my time hunting the central and eastern areas of oregon, and have only seen a flash of one cougar at night crossing a highway on the way to prineville. BUT, my brothers father in law is a guide with dogs. He has always said that there is tons of cats everywhere. One lion kills 1-2 deer a week. And we all know how many deer are in the coast range, because they have everywhere to hide. There are more lions now then ever before.

I carry a 3" Smith 38 (registered of course) in the event I have to walk out just due to the sneaky cats

I've seen three cougars in the last 5 years in the Trask while exploring remote areas. Had a friend of mine got followed back to his truck by one. Now he's packs when in the woods. There's a Bobcat that I see out back of the house once in a while near Yamhill.

Bad kitty!

Nice! Those motion detector cameras are awesome (except when they are set up at locked gates).:applause:

That pic looks like it would be from Mt Hood or Central Oregon since there's dinky little trees (pines too), Artemisia for ground cover and nothing growing on the woody debris.

I've seen 3 bobcats in the past 6 months and almost hit a black bear last October crossing the 101 in Long Beach, WA but no cougars. One day....

The cats up at Diamond Mill have cool headlight eyes.....

IMG_7812.jpg