Sign in to follow this  

Advise please!

My first race(ever) will be this Sunday at Adelanto. I have been riding for years then stopped for about 4 and now have been back on my bike for 2years. I'm super nervous. Any good advice?

good advice:thumbsup:

Dont follow, the beginer class will usually lose half the field in the first corner.

Dont follow, the beginer class will usually lose half the field in the first corner.

I'm racing the beginner class. What do you mean by don't follow

He either means, make sure you get that hole shot or do not follow too closely ha ha.. good luck buddy have never raced myself but am looking forward to doing some poker runs this year...

Just keep your head on your shoulders do not kill yourself trying to over ride your ability! Stay safe and have fun! But go out and kick some ass!!

Stretch really good the morning of your race...Eat banana's and drink TONS of water the day before...You are going to get arm pump, so be prepared...The more you stretch the better...Make sure to to out for every possible practice before your race and check out the lines and which obstacles you can jump and which ones you can't...Stay in one line...If you come up to an obstacle (like a big double) that you are not going to attempt, stay to the far outside or the far inside...This will keep you from interfering with someone else and potentially causing a wreck...Most importantly, Have Fun!!! The number one goal is to be safe, the number two goal is to enjoy yourself....Good Luck!

My first race(ever) will be this Sunday at Adelanto. I have been riding for years then stopped for about 4 and now have been back on my bike for 2years. I'm super nervous. Any good advice?

Are you racing in the Adelanto Grand Prix?? This year will be my 4th one.

Practice your starts. It's a dead engine start on asphalt so work on that. Basically just relax & look at it as a ride for fun. The start will be hectic so just take your time untill you get out into the desert sections. Then the field will spread out & you can just ride.

Once you get your rhythem going don't get tunnel vision on the guy ahead of you. Pass whenever you get the chance so long as you feel comfortable. Usually if I see a guy ahead of me and he keeps making little bobbles in the corners I will go to the inside if the door is left open. Usually the bobbles are a sign the rider is getting tired or just doesn't have confidence in the corners, use it to your advantage. Once you show the guy a wheel even if you don't make the pass, you'll be in his head.

In my first race i was also nervous. But as soon as the gate dropped and i started the nervousness went down, and after a few turns, it went away. Just ride safe, have fun, dont be afraid to take the inside line, and eat/drink healthy before the race. Dont eat sugar on racedays, if you do, limit yourself.

Relax have fun. I have ran the AGP twice and my advice is ride your own ride and get the holeshot and go like he// or take your time and let the feild spread out. I race over 30 Beg. and trust me the first lap will thin people way out. The last two years I rode a 1981 honda xr500 and finished safely and I crossed the line ahead of some other racers. Follow the advice from me and others and you will be hooked on this race. I will be sitting this year out but in 2008 I will be back with my latest bike still old and heavy but it is mine and paid for. Forgive the long post please.

Use your head, ride your own ride, have fun. We should do this everytime we get on the bike.

when ur in a battle between someone else, pay attention to where he weak spots are, (wat sections of the track) and use it againts him and try to pass him...dnt use the same lines as the guy in front of u for 2 reasons 1)major roosts all over u and 2)u won't be able to make a pass that way.....instead be creative, use different lines that no one else is using, or do obstacles differently, u never know, the way u do it can be faster than the way the others do it....and Good Luck

This is only my second year doing the Adelanto. My first time was last year. This will be my 8th Grand Prix however. Try and stay relaxed. The exitment, adrenaline alone can cuase you to get arm pump. Also warm up very well. Get yourself sweating before the race even starts. By warming up properly you will be more relaxed, and less tense. If you have trained, and can imagine yourself winning, then go ahead and race for the whole shot. If you hope to do good, but unsure of yourself, dont waste the chance for a crash taking out yourself and half the field. The end of the asphault start has you braking on dust, hay and dirt covered asphault . About the worst traction you could imagine and the hairiest part of the entire race. The worst thing you can do in a race like this is stall, crash, or go off course. Its long enough to make up time in places you are confident, rather than risking things in areas you are not as fast in.

Lastly, gear up. Ty Davis was clocked at 120mph on this course. Thier are no motocross stly jumps on the course usually. The water jump is a lame flat landing carnage machine. All the other "jumps" are very small tables or hills.

This is only my second year doing the Adelanto. My first time was last year. This will be my 8th Grand Prix however. Try and stay relaxed. The exitment, adrenaline alone can cuase you to get arm pump. Also warm up very well. Get yourself sweating before the race even starts. By warming up properly you will be more relaxed, and less tense. If you have trained, and can imagine yourself winning, then go ahead and race for the whole shot. If you hope to do good, but unsure of yourself, dont waste the chance for a crash taking out yourself and half the field. The end of the asphault start has you braking on dust, hay and dirt covered asphault . About the worst traction you could imagine and the hairiest part of the entire race. The worst thing you can do in a race like this is stall, crash, or go off course. Its long enough to make up time in places you are confident, rather than risking things in areas you are not as fast in.

Lastly, gear up. Ty Davis was clocked at 120mph on this course. Thier are no motocross stly jumps on the course usually. The water jump is a lame flat landing carnage machine. All the other "jumps" are very small tables or hills.

WOW! 120mph thats insane! I'm so stoked two more days!!!!!

make sure you know where the water jump is, and dont take it unless you can make it!

last year my friend was in the team race (switch riders each lap) and he wasnt sure where the water jump was and he approached it slowly...by the time he saw the water, he was already falling in!

honestly though it was one of the funniest things i had ever seen