Sign in to follow this  

Cam Chain Replacement... HELP!!!

I was advised by a few mechanics from a couple shops around town that its a good idea to replace the cam chain when you rebuild your motor. Im doing a complete top end rebuild (piston and valve train). To get to the cam chain though you have to remove the alternator. It seemed easy enough but when I took the nut and washer off and tried to remove it the damn thing wont budge. I used a puller and nothing. I dont want to pull on it too hard but im running out of ideas. ANYONE EVER DONE THIS BEFORE.. Any tips will help. :applause:

your going to need a flywheel puller (a holder is nice, but you can do it with a strap wrench and some help) and a gasket for the ignition cover.

Set the motor at TDC compression, pull the ignition cover

Take the cam sprocket off.

Now you can slip the cam chain off the crank and pull it out the top. There is no need to remove the black plastic tensioner slide.

Drop your new chain down from the top and slip it over the crank and into position. I'd recommend timing your engine and re-installing the cam sprocket before you put the flywheel back on and button up the ignition cover with you new gasket.:applause:

I used the flywheel puller and the flywheel is just not budging. I guess my question is about the pin inside the flywheel that holds it in place. Are you supppose to remove the pin first or does it slide out when you pull the flywheel out? I was cranking in the puller pretty dang hard and the flywheel barely moved. Im worried that the pin was suppose to be removed first before pulling on the flywheel and its jammed in there..

Did you screw the cap on the crankshaft threads before you screwed the puller on the flywheel?

There's two pieces for the puller, one protects the end of the crankshaft.

It does take quite a bit of pressure to pop it off.

if you took off the bolt on the flywheel, and everything is prositioned ok, it will take quite a bit of force, I managed to get mine off with wrenches, you will be reefing on it and all of the suddenly you will hear a pop, like you broke it but it is just comming off of the tapered shaft, and whatever you do, do not use an imact gun to put it on.

To get it OFF, a basic cheap impart wrench and a basic air compressor will blast it right off! To get it back on you can use an oil filter wrench wrapped in duct tape to hold FW while you torque the nut back down. Another helper is nice, but I have learned to do it by myself.

I do have the puller, took me a while to figure it our - being kinda daft and all. In the end, the iampact wrench takes 2 seconds.