Sign in to follow this  

Olden Days MX in Maryland

This is a long shot, so I'll post this in the regional section as well, but I don't think it'll get much response there.

I lived in MD back in 1982-1984. Never got a chance to visit the MX tracks, except for the one-time-only supercross at RFK Stadium.

Right now I live pretty close to Damascus and I remember from back in the day that there was a well-established and busy MX track in the area.

Does anyone recall that track, and where it was? Did you race there? I seem to remember Hagerstown had a track, and actually the Antietam track was open until just a couple of years ago. Any recollections or stories to share?

Or can you direct me to a better forum to ask? I checked the AMA District message board and it is dead in the water.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I believe you may be talking about 75-80 Dragway. I think there was a motocross track there. I know there was a bmx track, but they my have used it for MX as well.

Hey Mean Gene, thanks for taking the time to post. There has actually been a good amount of traffic on the same thread I posted over in the Northeast regional section. Other guys have remembered Big Berm Raceway in Damascus and that coincides with my foggy memory.

I don't think there was full size MX at 75/80 Raceway. I live very close to there and drive by it often. It's been closed for about 4 years now but the land is still fairly barren. I see no signs of an MX track.

One of these days I'll stop by and take a closer look.

Hi RFD Racing,

The track you were thinking of was the "Heart of Maryland" race track complex. It was South of MD 650 on Hipsley Mill Rd.(I think) on the left side of the road about 1 mile south of MD 650. The MX track ran for about 5 years, but the HoM club also had a hillclimb and short track TT oval on the property that preceeded the MX track from the late 50's. The HoM proprty was on a family owned by one of the members and it was sold about 15 years ago to a family (Cramer?) who ran an "Organic veggie and herb Farm" for a couple of years there, but they gave that enterprise up and now just live there. Sorry, no riding allowd as far as I have heard. The last time I rode by there (early 1990's) the Hillclimb and TT track were still visable from the road where it crossed a creek that bounded the TT track.

OriginalDirt

P.S. The Big Berm track was not exactly near Damascus. It was located off MD 97 about 1/2 mile North of the CSX tracks. There is a industrial plant on the site now. I'm pretty sure that BB was developed and run by Hank Lauer, I think he had the industrial/contruction business at the site and owned the land at that time too. Way back.....(in mx years...LOL)....1969???? there also was another MX track South of Damascus, towards Mt. Airy that ran about 4 or 5 times. I don't remember if it had a name or the name of the club that promoted there.

There was also Shiloh MX park near Germantown for about 2 years. There was also a "club track" near Ijamsville, MD that ran invitation events HS and Trials.