Sign in to follow this  

Olden Days MX in MD??

Thanks to PADaytonaman for posting that other thread about old riding areas in NJ. I was wondering the same thing for MD.

I also posted this in the vintage section - who knows where it'll be seen?

I lived in MD back in 1982-1984. Never got a chance to visit the MX tracks, except for the one-time-only supercross at RFK Stadium.

Right now I live pretty close to Damascus and I remember from back in the day that there was a well-established and busy MX track in the area.

Does anyone recall that track, and where it was? Did you race there? I seem to remember Hagerstown had a track, and actually the Antietam track was open until just a couple of years ago. Any recollections or stories to share?

Or can you direct me to a better forum to ask? I checked the AMA District message board and it is dead in the water.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I guess I get to respond to both the NJ and Maryland threads. I've always been willing to travel to race at a track I like. I got my first win in 1976 in the 250C class at the track near you. It was called Big Berm Raceway and was a great track. I remember they had an uphill double and this was in the 70's. It went through a few owners, the Lauer family ran it for years and Jimmy Lauer was an up and coming pro. I also raced at a track in Dunkirk back in 1976, all I remember is the dust and it was on a tobacco farm. You're right about the track in Hagerstown, it closed about 4 years ago. The best track in Maryland was Aquasco, great layout and home of The Maryland State Championship for many years. I don't remember Budds Creek having much success until Aquasco closed in the early 90's. It's a shame, the only track left is Budds Creek, the rest are all gone.

I guess I get to respond to both the NJ and Maryland threads. I've always been willing to travel to race at a track I like. I got my first win in 1976 in the 250C class at the track near you. It was called Big Berm Raceway and was a great track. I remember they had an uphill double and this was in the 70's. It went through a few owners, the Lauer family ran it for years and Jimmy Lauer was an up and coming pro. I also raced at a track in Dunkirk back in 1976, all I remember is the dust and it was on a tobacco farm. You're right about the track in Hagerstown, it closed about 4 years ago. The best track in Maryland was Aquasco, great layout and home of The Maryland State Championship for many years. I don't remember Budds Creek having much success until Aquasco closed in the early 90's. It's a shame, the only track left is Budds Creek, the rest are all gone.

Hey thanks a lot for taking the time to clue me in. I used to read the "Cycling East" paper back in those days and I remember reading a lot about Aquasco, too. I'm pretty sure I remember reading about Jimmy Lauer but can't recall when exactly.

Good luck in the coming season!

Hey thanks a lot for taking the time to clue me in. I used to read the "Cycling East" paper back in those days and I remember reading a lot about Aquasco, too. I'm pretty sure I remember reading about Jimmy Lauer but can't recall when exactly.

Good luck in the coming season!

I rode at Aquasco back in the day. Also many rides at Budds Creek. They used to do a 6 hour Hare Scrambles around a 4+/- mile loop. Talk about a mess in hour 5.5.

Also there was a track around Parole ( Annapolis area ) called Bausums Farm. I never rode that.

Hagerstown was a Scrambles track.

"Hagerstown was a Scrambles track. "

Actually there were two tracks near Hagerstown. They had a National Flat Track and an AMA District 7 Motocross track called Antietam. The area around Antietam started to build up with houses and businesses. The death of many MX tracks in the east.

Jimmy Lauer was Pro in the late 70's. If you still have those Cycling East, I'd be interested in buying them from you.:applause:

I rode at Aquasco back in the day. Also many rides at Budds Creek. They used to do a 6 hour Hare Scrambles around a 4+/- mile loop. Talk about a mess in hour 5.5.

Also there was a track around Parole ( Annapolis area ) called Bausums Farm. I never rode that.

I rode there a few times too. Mostly Disasters and headaches (read: wrecks). I google earthed the area, and there is no remaining trace of it that I can see. I think it's a bunch of houses now. too bad too. But there is still a ton of woods around there. :applause:

I raced the damascus track quite a few times, they also had a hill climb there as well. I was on a 1978 yz400. I think this was 1979 or 1980.

Thanks for all the memories guys!

Sorry, MX4Life, if I had 'em, I'd scan them in and send them to you! Those Cycling Easts have been long gone, victims of two cross-country moves.

I know this is reaching back, but does anyone recall your route to the Damascus track? Did you come from 270/Rte 355 up Rte 27 to somewhere? Or down from 70 via Rte 75 or Rte 27? I drive through a relatively new housing development on my way to work on King's Farm Road, and it's quite hilly - looks like it would have been perfect track terrain.

Oh yea, the good old days. Back in the 80's, I spent my riding time at the "Conte Pits". We must have had access to over 3,000 acres and hundreds of miles of trail. Every weekend me and my 4-6 buddies would meet in the morning and take turns playing catch the leader. I was on a XR-600 and everyone else had 2-smokers.

One day we met up with lone rider, he was able to keep up with us and show us some new trails. When we stopped, to take a break he took off his helmet. He looked like he could have been 100 years old. Do you guys remember Mike Stensin?

This got me thinking about Aquasco. I went MSN maps and google earth. It took a hour but I found the land. It has been plowed flat everything is gone, but the road :applause: :applause: :lol: . I spend most of the 80's racing there. You can still make out parts of the woods were the track was. I miss that place. I just got back into racing last year after over 15 years off. I spend 2 hours off and on (At work) looking at the land remembering the place. I do not see how people around would complain. There is no body around the area. We should bring it back (dreaming).

Mustang, please tell me you have the coordinates from google earth saved. I couldn't see anything i saw as recognizable, but i may have been looking too close to where 381 ends... My main memory is the road with a string of powerlines running parallel it, that we ran down during the scrambles race i was in (i forget, is scrambles in the desert? what do they call the races in the woods again that aren't enduros?). i was looking for a road/path with power lines running along it, but i didn't see anything where I was looking, but i may have been too close to where 381 ended, down by chalk point.

My guess is, if it's not been turned into a development then, that insurance or lack of interest is what killed the place. the lack of interest meant the owner got more money leasing to some farmer... or some combination of both.

It is not farm land. It is not developed. The ground has been flattened only. Sign up building is still there. If you go to were 381 dead ends back up to i believe Neck something rd. follow it to the old drag race way parking lot and you are there. I used Google earth and the track was just above the water way by the power plant off the the left. Try it.

not that it matters but i remember back in the late 60s and early 70s, in md. there was ramblers mx back near liberty resevouir also budds creek, antiteim, i believe there were a couple of others as well, district 7. i want to say manahiem i remember seeing greg boutwell,of boutwell motorcycles and a guy named pee wee of motor sport center all good riders. they didn't have the mega style jumps then like they do now, heck the bikes only had about 3" of suspension. i do remember big berm i think that was later 70s early 80s. i remember riding somewhere in laurel md. it was like a quarry of some sort then

Oh yea, the good old days. Back in the 80's, I spent my riding time at the "Conte Pits". We must have had access to over 3,000 acres and hundreds of miles of trail. Every weekend me and my 4-6 buddies would meet in the morning and take turns playing catch the leader. I was on a XR-600 and everyone else had 2-smokers.

One day we met up with lone rider, he was able to keep up with us and show us some new trails. When we stopped, to take a break he took off his helmet. He looked like he could have been 100 years old. Do you guys remember Mike Stensin?

The Contee Gravel Pits............Mike rode a Suzuki PE and was megga fast.

That was the stomping grounds for a lot of fast guys. Steve Smith &, Jimmy lived in west Laurel on the other side of 198 from the pits.

Wolfgang, Wild Bill.....so many faces ..... so few remembered names.

I grew up in Maryland City on the Parkway 295 side of Laurel and worked at Heysers Cycle in Laurel & The Dirt Shop in College Park.

I picked up a old copy of Cycling East on Ebay a few months ago.

I recently reunited with my High School sweat hart and guess what she still had..........pictures!

doublemayhemmed.jpg

See more here.................

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v640/lumpy790/Vintage%20Lumpy/

Yes thats Big Berms famous step up double. If you were standing between the doubles you would not be able to see your head. As I recall on a 125 would have to we WFO in 3rd to clear it.

Lauer had a thing for pits also. Jimmy still lives in Laurel.

Montessapitmed.jpg

Growing up (im 25 now) my father always told me about a place in Laurel they called the pits where he could ride for miles and miles and him and all his buds would meet up every other weekend. On the other weekends he told me he would ride in Sharnida (spl)? Sharnida was the name of where Ski Liberty now is. My great grand parents had land up there. He said he used to ride up and down the ski slopes in the summer and ride all the way to Mt. St. Mary's on trails. He also told me that there was a place near Leesburg VA that was bigger than the pits in Laruel that he made a trip too every so often. He said that whenever his parents were going anywhere he made them drag the bikes on the trailer that he made from an old boat trailer. Its still sitting in my back yard. He even told me that when he went to Ocean city he took is bike and would ride up and down the beach and in the dunes! I have some pics of him wheeling up the beach on like 25th street! I guess those were the days! I was lucky enough growing up that I could ride from town to town on rail road tracks and powerline on my trusty XR100 that I blew up and rebuilt 4 times. Gone are the days where you can pull off the road and unload and ride. If we do that now we will be thrown in jail. I cant believe how many people hate what I love to do. It makes me sad that my kids wont be able to do half of what I did growing up. Cya Stinson

That reminds me there was a motocross track in OceanCity bay side. We raced it once at a MAMA event in the 80's. Anybody else remeber that track. I have myself on video for one moto. I fell anf got 3rd in 125 A

Dale,

I've been mentioning the Annapolis track called Bausums Farm to other dirt riders for over 30yrs and you are the 1st to have ever mentioned it. Too cool. My brother and cousins raced there a few times in the mid-70's.

I used to go to all those tracks back in the 70's, raced Budds on a 1973 CR125 when I was about 14. Aquasco was a great track and so was Big Berm. I could not afford to race any longer, I was racing on my tobacco savings, but I was my buddy's wrench so I got to travel every weekend and take care of the bikes. We used a white box truck with Cardinal Distributors Inc on the side. I grew up in Croom across the street from Frederick Douglass High School in Upper Marlboro, a few of you may have met me on the trails back in the day around Marlton, Clinton and so on.

Glad to hear a bunch you are still around. Wish I had used my camera more often, great memory's though.:applause: