Sign in to follow this  

06 125L New bike (to me) Mod Questions

Hello everone,

I chose this bike for three reasons 1, I can ride it I am 5'6 180# and 2, my son can grow into it from his 110 but 3, and most importantly it was a trade and no cash! I learned to ride on a xr 80 in the 80s then graduated to a kx80 and my riding stopped after that... work marriage kids etc.... I want to ride with my son and this bike seemed like the logical choice being that the highest seat I could stand was 34 inches. Ok I have read all the posts I could find on the mods for this bike and it seems that a pipe and cam are the best two overall with a bigger carb and over bore on the horizon. Will the airbox mod be sufficient to feed the new pipe? My first assumption is the carb to be the limiting factor air flow wise. I am quite familiar with four stroke engines, well much larger ones. I know looking into mods and having never rode the bike is a little aggressive :applause: ..but I know me and me is a gearhead. If I recall the kx had much more rear wheel hp so I am going to get used to the 7 real quick! I am not a big jumper so I dont expect the weak suspension or ill advised frame design to be a problem. Although welding in a cradle has crossed my mind. We used to do it all the time on cars but we call them sub-frame connectors but its the same idea. One last thing is there a rule of thumb for jetting with these mods ie: one jet size or two per set of mods I plan the pipe and cam (W\ airbox mod) then the carb and overbore. Sorry for the long post but I like to be clear up front and feel it will reduce the needed replies.

Thanks in advance!

"Bullet proof is a term we use to describe a part that takes slightly longer to break"

I rode it a little today not too bad but it needs some tuning BTW I now have some input on the fork spring issue, they are bad soft I could almost bottom them just pushing it and pulling the brake but it may be just the thing for my behind...lol

I have RM85 forks on my DRZ. Check out my garage! They bolted right up too! I know DRZSuzook is using KX85 forks and a bunch of other people did conversions too