Sign in to follow this  

Very long ride ahead a question

I am riding Baja over the course of a week in April

I am prepping my bike and have one question.

The tools I need to bring. Should I wear a tool belt or put a bag on the back of my rear fender. I have both, but want the most comfort possible and tool belts tend to be heavy.

Those of you have that have ridden mile after mile after mile, day after day after day, which do you prefer?

Regards

MIR

What I do is to put my tools in my backpack BUT it does get heavy over time but since I have old knees it works better for me for getting on and off my bike. If you can I would put the tools in a fender bag so your not carrying them for a week.

I wear my toolbelt on the front of my waist rather than the rear, lots more comfortable for me. Along with clothing, etc. I also carry some tools and supplies in the backpack as well as a water bag. I also tape a few things here and there on the frame and carry a set of tubes in a front fender bag with the fender braced to keep things steady. I don't carry anything on the back fender because I don't like the weight back there.

Spread the load over the bike. Front number plate bag and rear fender bag. If you're riding with someone try not to duplicate tools, if you both have the same axle nut, carry one, same for tire spoons.

Keep the weight off your body if at all possible. You will be much happier in the end.

I did a 750 mile 5 day single track ride last summer completely camping off the bike. I had a 15lb backpack as well as gear stashed on a rear rack, front fender, and front # plate. while it rode nice on me over 5 days it really wears on you.

I have a different opinion than the majority so far. I don't want ANYTHING attached to the bike but me. I carry all my gear in a rucksack. I've tried it the other way around but it always affects the way the bike handles. Put a rear fender bag on and you may not be able to scoot back for sand and whoops as normal. Put on a front fender or number plate bag and the bike's front/rear balance is all goofed up.

I use fenders bags for parts that are bike specific. Then I use a KTM race vest for everything else. The vest has so many pockets that everything is organized. call me if you have any questions.

Dale

i use a old heavy duty fishing vest that seems to work just fine alog with a watterpac on my back that has a few pouches as well, i keep them balenced out and it seems to work alot better than just having a backpack or vest

I put as much on the bike as possible and try to pool tools with the other guys.

I know you probably already know this but I'll say it anyway, ultra heavy duty tubes and slime for those cactus barrels and run at least 18 psi, I managed to ruin both rims on my bike in Baja last year but never got a flat. Have fun, I wish I was going on a trip like that this year.

My last Baja trip was with a Ogio Vest (same as KTM vest) $70 , it held my video camera in front , tools in back , 100cc camelback , powerbars , spare tubes , etc. It was my first vest ride , loved it cause I didn't notice the weight at all...Do the double tube trick in your tires (sissor a 1 in. strip of rubber out of an old tube) . Buy the best chain you can to avoid slowing the group down .

Awesome Mike !!! You are partaking on a dream of mine. Enjoy it !

There are a couple of hard core Baja riders on here, I'd try and find them and read every post they made. Bajarider comes to mind :applause:

Going on a tour or are you free riding it?

- Fryboy

Here's the long list that we use when we prepare for a long desert ride This was compiled by my friend Rocketman. Hope this helps

Check every nut and bolt on your bike to make sure it’s there and tight….Put locktite on any that tend to loosen up…..Like the foot peg bolts on XR650Rs.

Make sure all the wheel spokes are tight and safety wire or tie wrap them where they cross each other…..They can still break but won’t get caught up in the chain or brakes.

Check your wheel bearings.

Be sure to be starting with new, or nearly new tires….No excuses no exceptions, just a little rain on a clay road and you will be in trouble with worn tires.

Put slime in both tires….Follow the instructions carefully.

When you are changing tires… Be sure to use a rim lock up front….When you get a front flat we’ll be changing it right away but a rim lock can prevent tearing out the valve stem while you are getting stopped.….On the back I use two rim locks and often run longer distances before stopping to fix it.

Set tire pressure to 22psi up front and 18psi in the rear….We can adjust it from there if we need to.

Be sure your sprockets, chain and brakes are correctly adjusted and can go the distance anticipated without wearing out.

Start with a fresh clean oiled air filter….Filter skins are a great idea. Carry a spare filter or Filter Skin all oiled up and ready to go….If you use any No Toil or other oils with alcohol in them, be sure to let your filter dry and air out for at least an hour before you pack it into an airtight plastic bag….I had a spare filter totally fall apart in the bag because I didn’t do this.

I suggest at least stock sprocket sizes but prefer to see your bike geared taller for this kind of riding…Change the countershaft sprocket for one tooth larger…It lowers the cruising revs, increased the top end and reduces fuel consumption….We won’t be needing to ride in first gear anywhere.

Run the largest gas tank you can get…..My 650 gets about 140 miles per tank before I have to lay it over for reserve….

Check the cable adjustment for all the controls.

Check the fork seals, countershaft seal and shifter shaft seal to be sure they aren’t leaking.

Make sure your suspension is not set too stiff….It’ll wear you out in no time.

Put a guard over your headlight. Steve Jr. and I had two broken headlights on one ride….That gets expensive.

Things to carry along :

An 80 or 100oz hydration & backpack combo unit with a big mouth bladder that lets you fill it with ice and liquid…I like to use Gatorade, I get less cramping than when I use just water….We’ll get ice and liquids at the gas stops.

In my back pack I carry …

A couple of protein bars that withstand heat.

Two 300 mm tire irons wrapped in old gloves.

A good quality bicycle tire pump.

A spare set of reading glasses.

A spare spark plug.

Spare batteries for my GPS.

My cell phone.

Matches.

Mountain money in a Zip Loc bag.

Enough ear plugs for a new pair everyday.

A front fender bag works well to carry….

A new front tube.

An extra clutch and brake lever.

A spare clutch perch.

A tube repair kit….Check the glue and patches are still useable.

A wad of “Quick Metal” epoxy putty for patching engine cases.

A rear fender bag carries….

My tools…..Use these tools for all maintenance work prior to the ride…Those big wrenches in the shiny Snap On box at home won’t help out where we’ll be.

A spare chain master link.

A tow strap.

A siphon hose.

A spare clutch cable.

Spare throttle cables

Two extra massive tie wraps ( AC duct size)

A pair of old riding gloves for dirty repair work.

A miniature flashlight.

My old Malcolm Smith Fanny Pack carries:

A clean pair of no fog, clear lens, goggles for cloudy days or night riding ( I use photo tint no fogs in the sun) .

A Leatherman for use on anything.

A small Mag Lite flashlight.

Another spare pair of reading glasses.

Maps.

My camera.

My riding pants get…

My wallet in the right front leg pocket.

My ears get….

Soft silicone ear putty earplugs available at any drug store….I find I’m a lot less tired when the wind noise is eliminated….I strongly recommend them….I’ve tried all types and these work the best.

My hands get….

A pair of cheap cotton gloves under my riding gloves to help kill the bar buzz and stop any blisters….

General Info Stuff

Cell phones don’t work well in the West Texas-Big Bend area….Cingular is about the best coverage available….

Bring cash for all your needs….ATM’s are rare.

Paying for everything by cash or check is actually easier and safer..

Plan on having smaller bills available…..

Going on a tour or are you free riding it?

- Fryboy

Man, been a long time since I have heard from you Dave. Good to see you are still around, than again hard to believe we have been around for this long. Hope all is well with you and the family. Need to ride together someday again.

This baja ride is with none other than Malcom Smith and his group. He does a baja ride every year and it is invite only from what I understand. My buddy (you know him, John) was invited last year, and this year he invited me. I guess each year if you ride, you get to invite for the next year. At any rate, It will be a long week , Ensenada to Cabo, a dream. I wonder if I will ever want to ride again as my rear will probably be so sore, I will not want to sit down on a bike for quite some time.

Many photos to come after the ride. April 9th to 18th. A long trip.

MIR

Here's the long list that we use when we prepare for a long desert ride This was compiled by my friend Rocketman. Hope this helps

Nice list. I believe you hit on some very good points. Thank you.

MIR

Mike I will be down there with about 7 or 8 guys on April 26th to May 4th with bikes give me your dates and see how far you are going? we will have a chase truck and a bunch of spare chit. we are going 650 miles south of the border to a house that I have in the sea of cortez 40 miles south of Mulege. we are heading down to check out some of the Mission from the 1700 thru 1800 shooting across the desert 80 miles to San Janico and camp on the beach over-night then 68 miles to La Purisima and then back around to Comondu and come around the back to San Javier Mission then back to the beach house for fresh yellowtail and cold Pacifico beer!! Steve.

Man would be great to join us we have planned this and lock the dates down on January like I told my buddies this is what you need to know and tell the girls what they don't need to know. haha. how far down you going?

Man, been a long time since I have heard from you Dave. Good to see you are still around, than again hard to believe we have been around for this long. Hope all is well with you and the family. Need to ride together someday again.

This baja ride is with none other than Malcom Smith and his group. He does a baja ride every year and it is invite only from what I understand. My buddy (you know him, John) was invited last year, and this year he invited me. I guess each year if you ride, you get to invite for the next year. At any rate, It will be a long week , Ensenada to Cabo, a dream. I wonder if I will ever want to ride again as my rear will probably be so sore, I will not want to sit down on a bike for quite some time.

Many photos to come after the ride. April 9th to 18th. A long trip.

MIR

You guys are some lucky dogs ! That is a once in a lifetime deal it sounds like. You guys should have a blast. Oh, and it hasn't been that long since we talked Mike, a little over a year ago at the Supercross. Remember the rains? Nice to hear from you and yes, we need to hook up for a ride again soon.

Take care and looking forward to the ride report and pics :applause: