Lube O-Ring chain?

I know this may be a silly question, But do you guys lubricate your O-ring chains? I understand the regular chains need lubricating but I was told a while ago that lubricating an O-Ring chain is not needed and can be bad for it?

What do ya think, and why?

Yes I do lube my o-ring chain. The chain lube extends the life of the chain/sprockets. I suggest lubeing it with a quality chain lube such as Maxima Chain guard or belray superclean chainlube and having the correct tension. If you have that your chain/sprockets will last a long time.

yea just make sure u buy a chain lubricant that will not damage the o ring's, most of the chain lubes work though.

I think one of the biggest reasons to lube the chain is to keep it from rusting after washes. I've had a few chains that got a little rust on them after washes because I didnt want to spray anything on there to displace the water (because everyone on TT claims WD-40 will eat your o-rings). Now I just spray a light coat of WD to get the water out and run the bike a bit. After the chain is "warmed up" I put a small ammount of lube on there before throwing it in the garage.

While I have not noticed a significant change in chain life by starting to lube (although I'm only about 1/3 through the first good chain at the moment, but it has been adjusted about the same so far), a good cleaning with a soft wire brush or a harder plastic bristle brush was one of the best things I started doing. My sprockets and chain didnt get worn out near as fast without all the junk in there (Junk that a light spray with a pressure washer was leaving behind, but I wasent noticing).

• Like 2

I use castrol Chain lube for O Rings.. Works good but makes a hell of a mess.. my buddies have used the chain "wax" and it does not make a mess but just does not look like it works as good.. can't say if it does or not though...

I bought an o-ring chain lube specifically. I think it is the stuff under honda's logo.

well, anyways I didn't like using it because more dirt actually sticks to the chain than when I use WD40...

sigh..

I use WD-40 to displace the water, and put a drop of 90W gear oil on every link and spin the tire to get it to work itself around the chain. Wipe the excess off with a rag and I'm done.

I have a small squirt can full of recycled motor oil. I squirt some on the chain after washing, spin the wheel a few times to work the oil around, then wipe off the excess. This prevents external rust. O-rings, X-rings, T-rings, whatever, have internal lubrication sealed in by the rings.

Using motor oil seems to work well and the price is right. Why pay an outrageous amount for some messy concoction in a spray can? It has been my experience that most of them do little more than collect dirt or end up all over your rims.

This has been beaten to death many times over and the opinions are as varied as the amount of posts regarding it.

Personally i don't lube, the reason for this is that the lube is a sticky glupe substance which is exactly the sort of thing that would be a magnet for dirt which will then act as an abbrasive.

I was then give the chain a generous coating of WD40 it works for me and i have not noticed any decrease in sprocket or chain life :applause: This is probably on the same par as which is the best oil to use. Different people will reccomend different things

• Like 1

well... when spinning the tire, once the full chain gets lubed, I do notice a significant decrease in friction, its easier to spin, friction = wear.

I've always used WD 40 to lube my "o" rings chains without problems. I hear there are a couple of brands that can cause problems. I usually buy the good brands so it could be the cheap ones.:applause:

• Like 1

I use WD-40 to displace the water, and put a drop of 90W gear oil on every link and spin the tire to get it to work itself around the chain. Wipe the excess off with a rag and I'm done.

Won't WD-40 also displace the oil as well ?

O-ring chains have to lube inside them, and use those rubber rings to keep it in there. I drench my chain in WD40 and scrub it with an old grill brush, then I wipe it off with an old t-shirt. I'm done using non o-ring chains, they're junk and require use of chain lube, which is super sticky, attracts dirt, and makes my swingarm look like ass, along with my rear hub.

I let the WD-40 dry before I oil the chain. Probably should have said that.

Thank god :applause:

Out here it's real dusty so WD-40 doesn't sound to good to me. I use Maxima and I spray it well then wipe it down seems to work for me :applause:

i started to use some wax type lube and ended tearing the bike appart just to get it really clean,like its been said before now I'll stick with WD,it will serve as a cleaning solvent and lube

well hear something you can all laugh at!! on of my friends uses and insests on using chainsaw bar oil!!! yeah it works but it makes one hell of a mess!!

I brush WD-40 on my O-ring chain after washing my bike. Water is damaging to the O-ring chain, whether it be pressure or rust. Hence the WD in WD-40.

Water Displacement

Call me old school, but I also wipe my bike down with WD-40. Makes it easy to clean the next time.:applause:

I only lube my chain up after washing the bike. I rarely ever spray it down during a day at the track, its not really needed. I find that the chain stays cleaner this way and lasts a long time. I might replace my chain before spring, but its still good, has an entire season of racing on it.