Sign in to follow this  

May be moving to WV

Guys,

I am contemplating a move to West Virginia. It would be for a new job that I am looking at. I live in Wyoming now and love it, but this new job would be a great step up and have huge future opportunites. I don't plan on staying in the east for much more than 2 years, as I know I want to get back to the Rockies.

However, I think 2 years would be a great experience to see the east coast, capital, civil war, and independance memorials. Also I am getting very excited about exploring the Appalachians, and to do some different types of riding than what I have experienced.

My questions, how is the riding? Is it pretty decent or very limited. Hunting opp. in the fall?

How about cost of living? Area near Charleston, WV? Crowded? Trashey? Climate? Etc.

Basically any comments about the area or your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Lots of opportunities to ride and hunt/fish in West Virginia. Charleston is just a few miles North of the Coal River trails of the Hatfield McCoy trail system. You can also access some of the other trail heads in a reasonable time by traveling a little further South.

I don't think the cost of living is to far out of line. You should be able to find reasonable housing without to much effort.

All in all, I think you would like WV since you are into riding and outdoor activities. I'm a little biased since I've lived here all my life, but in my opinion its not too bad. Although the weather has been kind of weird the last few years, we truly have four seasons here, meaning it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Of course spring and fall fill in the gaps.

Charleston, although the biggest city in WV, is not really a big city. I think the population in Charleston is just over 50,000 people in the city limits.

Here is a link to the Hatfield McCoy trail systems website:

http://www.trailsheaven.com

Also,here is link to a riding club in WV if you want to check it out as well. These guys could give you some more input on the riding here in WV.

http://mountainstateoffroadriders.googlepages.com/home

You will also have to do a GNCC while you are out there. Racer Productions is based out of Morgantown and there are some good races although now are pretty open. I second the Hatfield McCoy, where else can you ride all day and then ride into town for a bowl of home made soup.

And if you are in to roadracing (or motard) you have Summit Point to play on.

Cost of living isn't really a whole lot around here. I don't have an exact figure but I've lived in many places around the states, Wyoming being one of them and the world. It's one of the cheapest places to live. The scenery is beutiful and the riding is excellent. Not to mention the current governor is a avid motorcyclist himself.

Check out the links Badkaw gave you. He's a riding buddy of mine. If you do move to Charleston we could swing by your new house and show you some trails.

You could also check out housing in the Winfield, Hurricane, St Albans, Nitro, Milton, Culloden. They are all with in commuting distance.

Summit Point is near Charlestown WV. I think he is moving to Charleston. Do they do a lot of supermoto at Summit?

Summit Point is near Charlestown WV. I think he is moving to Charleston. Do they do a lot of supermoto at Summit?

Yep, Charles Town, WV in the eastern panhandle is often confused with Charleston, WV. Just slightly west of the middle of the state.

Yes, I do beleive they have SuperMoto at Summit Point also. I've never been though. It's around a 5 hour drive just from Charleston.

I live an hour west of Charleston just across the river in Gallipolis, Ohio. I grew up on the WV side of the River. For several years, I played soccer in the league in St. Albans.

You didn't say say specifically what kind of riding you're looking for. There are 6 MX tracks within an hour and a half of my location. There's one in Milton - which would be less than half an hour from Charleston. Another up in Clarksburg area - maybe 45 minutes from Charleston. I hear the one in Summersville is EPIC and it's maybe an hour to an hour 15 from Charleston.

For woods, there's the aforementioned Hatfield and McCoys and lots of private land to ride on - once you get to know some people.

The climate is humid, typically high 80s- low 90s in the summer (but occasionally over 100 degrees).

Winter is not too bad - normally about 100 inches of snow per year in the eastern mountains (Snowshoe Mountain skiing) - maybe 5-15 inches over here in the western area (20-30 in a "hard" winter).

Some areas are very nice and others completely fulfill the "hillbilly/redneck" reputation that the state has (Lincoln Couty, anyone?).

LOTS of hunting - last I checked you could kill up to 7 deer with various tags/weapons. This is necessary in most areas because the deer are a real hazard on the roads.

As a rule, crime rates are very low, although there are areas in the cities where you might not want to go.

The bad news is the taxes - you have to pay personal property tax (6%, I think) on pretty much everything you own, every year - 6% on your car, bike, dog, etc. . . If your car is worth $10000.00, you'll pay $600.00 every year (minus depreciation, of course).

On the other hand, housing tends to be inexpensive - rent or buy. I'm looking at a 2 story 4 BR/2BA house on a small lot in a small town for $75,000.00. Charleston area will, of course, be considerably more expensive, but certainly not as bad as Columbus, Ohio or Washington, DC where I went to law school.

I concur with the prior post - Winfield, Hurricane, St Albans, Nitro, Milton, Culloden are all nice (more rural) places to live.

You could check out the local newspapers:

http://www.wvgazette.com

http://www.dailymail.com/section/Front+Page

Huntington - 40 minutes away:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage

If you do move to Charleston, contact me sometime - you could come down and we could go ride. . .

Rob

robwbright@yahoo.com